• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Zen 2x2x4’ uvb & basking

Savra mitera

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi. I very recently upgraded my sweet guy to a 2x2x4’ Zen and unfortunately didn’t anticipate the change in height from his previous 18” high enclosure to the new 24”. Before I buy new stuff, I’d like to know how others are managing the uvb and basking heat in their 2’ tall enclosures. I have been using a 24” T5 with a 10.0 uvb hung underneath the screen top. The bulb needs replacing and I’m planning on getting an Arcadia. Is the 12% uvb adequate or do I need stronger?
Basking temp is proving a challenge. I’m using a dome with a 150w bulb set directly on top of the screen. He used to hang out on top of his pyramid hide and temps were perfect. Now his hide is too short and I’ve had to place hammocks at around 8” down from the top for a temp around 100...and he keeps trying to climb higher/closer to the bulb. Any better ideas?

Attachments

• C7D78975-789D-40B8-9154-C54ED3CC83C9.jpeg
    C7D78975-789D-40B8-9154-C54ED3CC83C9.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 111
  • 676AC7FA-2C01-4A5F-BFEB-2959F44ED803.jpeg
    676AC7FA-2C01-4A5F-BFEB-2959F44ED803.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 128

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi. I very recently upgraded my sweet guy to a 2x2x4’ Zen and unfortunately didn’t anticipate the change in height from his previous 18” high enclosure to the new 24”. Before I buy new stuff, I’d like to know how others are managing the uvb and basking heat in their 2’ tall enclosures. I have been using a 24” T5 with a 10.0 uvb hung underneath the screen top. The bulb needs replacing and I’m planning on getting an Arcadia. Is the 12% uvb adequate or do I need stronger?
Basking temp is proving a challenge. I’m using a dome with a 150w bulb set directly on top of the screen. He used to hang out on top of his pyramid hide and temps were perfect. Now his hide is too short and I’ve had to place hammocks at around 8” down from the top for a temp around 100...and he keeps trying to climb higher/closer to the bulb. Any better ideas?
here is my Zen 150 watt basking bulb and a T 5 Reptisun 10.0 --- you can use the Arcadia T 5 12% same distance as the T 5 Rep - or you can go w/ a Arcadia 14% bulb just make sure its strapped to the top of the tank and distance is 17-18" -- those are very strong bulbs but the 24" height is good -- I used those for a year then went to the Rep as when I needed to change them out no one had the they were all sold out so I went to the Rep T 5-- make sure your getting a basking temp w/ digital probe thermometer --- hammocks throw IR guns off

Attachments

• Blazes tank 6-2-2020.jpg
    Blazes tank 6-2-2020.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 134

Savra mitera

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
here is my Zen 150 watt basking bulb and a T 5 Reptisun 10.0 --- you can use the Arcadia T 5 12% same distance as the T 5 Rep - or you can go w/ a Arcadia 14% bulb just make sure its strapped to the top of the tank and distance is 17-18" -- those are very strong bulbs but the 24" height is good -- I used those for a year then went to the Rep as when I needed to change them out no one had the they were all sold out so I went to the Rep T 5-- make sure your getting a basking temp w/ digital probe thermometer --- hammocks throw IR guns off
Thanks for the reply. Since my guy likes some height, I guess I’ll go with the 12% uvb.
So your basking area looks at least 12” away from the top and you too are using a 150w bulb. Makes me wonder if my room temps are making it harder to achieve basking temps at any distance. I had my guy in his old enclosure in the same room as my chameleons and their lights heat up the room. He also had a few inches of window area which got the morning sun and heated things up tad. Due to lack of space and also to give him a window view which he seemed to enjoy, I had to move him to another room which is a few degrees cooler. Think I’ll try a ceramic heat bulb and see if that makes any difference. Oh...yes, I’m using a probed digital thermometer. I have a herpstat 2 that I think I’ll put into use once I hook up a CHE.
Btw, your beardie is very pretty. :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the reply. Since my guy likes some height, I guess I’ll go with the 12% uvb.
So your basking area looks at least 12” away from the top and you too are using a 150w bulb. Makes me wonder if my room temps are making it harder to achieve basking temps at any distance. I had my guy in his old enclosure in the same room as my chameleons and their lights heat up the room. He also had a few inches of window area which got the morning sun and heated things up tad. Due to lack of space and also to give him a window view which he seemed to enjoy, I had to move him to another room which is a few degrees cooler. Think I’ll try a ceramic heat bulb and see if that makes any difference. Oh...yes, I’m using a probed digital thermometer. I have a herpstat 2 that I think I’ll put into use once I hook up a CHE.
Btw, your beardie is very pretty. :)
That UVB is the 14% bulb--- it's approx 17-18" from decor piece

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
Beardies love looking out of windows, the t8 uvb should be inside 10 or 12% covering 3/4 of the viv. They will like to get 6-8 inches away from uvb and basking bulb so temps have to be right in them places

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
We built our own setup for our zen. So that it’s got split levels. It’s close enough to where we only need the 100w bulb and still could hang the uvb in the tank. Then we built her a ladder if she wants to go closer to anything. Looks like this.

Attachments

• EF5BEDBE-8DFA-481C-9ACD-58A63D036FE7.jpeg
    EF5BEDBE-8DFA-481C-9ACD-58A63D036FE7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 124
  • 3CA8A826-8467-4AD7-93E3-48661633E268.jpeg
    3CA8A826-8467-4AD7-93E3-48661633E268.jpeg
    832.9 KB · Views: 111

Savra mitera

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
We built our own setup for our zen. So that it’s got split levels. It’s close enough to where we only need the 100w bulb and still could hang the uvb in the tank. Then we built her a ladder if she wants to go closer to anything. Looks like this.
Very nice! I was just revisiting the diy tutorials. I think that might be the way for me to go. Spike is a leaper and keeps knocking the hammocks down.

kayandbev

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi! i would try using a halogen bulb (check your hardware store, the reptile supply ones are outrageously expensive) for your basking spot - they get a lot hotter at a lower wattage. i’m planning to upgrade bev to a zen 4x2x2 sometime next year and i’m pretty sure the basking bulb i have now (philips 72w halogen spotlight) will work there too, as in my 40 i have it dimmed to half its brightness and it keeps the basking spot 18” away at a toasty 105-110 no problem. it also uses less electricity than an incandescent bulb. got mine at home depot for $5. hope this helps!

Savra mitera

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hi! i would try using a halogen bulb (check your hardware store, the reptile supply ones are outrageously expensive) for your basking spot - they get a lot hotter at a lower wattage. i’m planning to upgrade bev to a zen 4x2x2 sometime next year and i’m pretty sure the basking bulb i have now (philips 72w halogen spotlight) will work there too, as in my 40 i have it dimmed to half its brightness and it keeps the basking spot 18” away at a toasty 105-110 no problem. it also uses less electricity than an incandescent bulb. got mine at home depot for $5. hope this helps!
I’ve been using incandescent but those are getting harder to find. I’ll check on the halogen. Thanks!

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
I have a Zen habitats for my beardie. I had to send back the wood one and get the PVC one because I use under the tank heating to keep the temperature right. I also use a 18 inch uvb bulb with a special fixture for it

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a Zen habitats for my beardie. I had to send back the wood one and get the PVC one because I use under the tank heating to keep the temperature right. I also use a 18 inch uvb bulb with a special fixture for it
Under tank heating for dragons does no good really --- dragons heat from the backs not stomachs and for the size of your tank for your UVB I would change it out to a T 5 --- T 8's distance need to be inside the tank w/ basking spot directly under it approx 6-8 inches -- so your UVB is going to be really low to get it to the correct distance --

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
Under tank heating for dragons does no good really --- dragons heat from the backs not stomachs and for the size of your tank for your UVB I would change it out to a T 5 --- T 8's distance need to be inside the tank w/ basking spot directly under it approx 6-8 inches -- so your UVB is going to be really low to get it to the correct distance --
My dragon is doing great. Everyone has opinions as do I. I just give my opinion not fact.
What works for my dragon may not work for yours.