• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yoda is too picky

Cookie and Yoda

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yoda is 3-year old male that I've had since he was about 6 months old. Since I've had him he's been a very good eater and was a joy to watch him during live feedings. Lately (the past 6-7 months) he's not been eating well and is getting quite thin. He still has good energy and does not seem distressed or showing signs of feeling ill. This new behavior is coming out of his recent brumation (lasting about 6 weeks). When he came out he was fatter than going in, but has since lost most of his weight and girth in his tail. He is not showing interest in any live feed or his greens. I've thought about preparing a protein and greens "slurry" to syringe feed him just to get his appetite started, but I'm also of a mind that if he's doesn't look sick or act sick then I should just let him deal with it on his own terms. Another part of me wonders about the UVB spectrum in his enclosure. It's a Zen Habitat with the Zoo Med ReptiSun LED / UVB Terrarium Hood. The Hood is about a year old and perhaps might be due for a change, but I'm just not sure if that's an issue.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20220502_151810.jpg
    20220502_151810.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220502_151839.jpg
    20220502_151839.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yoda is 3-year old male that I've had since he was about 6 months old. Since I've had him he's been a very good eater and was a joy to watch him during live feedings. Lately (the past 6-7 months) he's not been eating well and is getting quite thin. He still has good energy and does not seem distressed or showing signs of feeling ill. This new behavior is coming out of his recent brumation (lasting about 6 weeks). When he came out he was fatter than going in, but has since lost most of his weight and girth in his tail. He is not showing interest in any live feed or his greens. I've thought about preparing a protein and greens "slurry" to syringe feed him just to get his appetite started, but I'm also of a mind that if he's doesn't look sick or act sick then I should just let him deal with it on his own terms. Another part of me wonders about the UVB spectrum in his enclosure. It's a Zen Habitat with the Zoo Med ReptiSun LED / UVB Terrarium Hood. The Hood is about a year old and perhaps might be due for a change, but I'm just not sure if that's an issue.

What do you guys think?
Hi Cookie let's start w/ the basking temps they should be surface basking temps-- 95-100 taken w/ digital probe thermometer- those are the most accurate IR guns are good but will not read off of certain materials like hammocks- I don't see any temp gauges in the tank please get 2 of them place the probe on the spot he basks- next please change the uvb bulb what bulb are you using them we can get it properly placed- unless your using a T 8 bulb do not change the hood- - these will cause lack of eating so we need to get this stuff ruled out then move on to other causes-

Cookie and Yoda

Bearded Dragon Egg
I do have an IR gun and checked the temps. 101 in the basking spot, 90 directly under and 80 in the cool side. Oddly enough I put his salad right in front of him this morning after he had warmed up and he took 3 good mouthfuls of greens. First time I've seen that in a while. As for the UVB bulb, it's whatever came with the hood configuration from ZooMed.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do have an IR gun and checked the temps. 101 in the basking spot, 90 directly under and 80 in the cool side. Oddly enough I put his salad right in front of him this morning after he had warmed up and he took 3 good mouthfuls of greens. First time I've seen that in a while. As for the UVB bulb, it's whatever came with the hood configuration from ZooMed.
Ok please look on the bulb itself - if you didnt replace it w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 your using a 5.0 which is ok but its more for aquarium use - you want to change it out to the one above that is for a reptile - then depending on the screen it can be placed on top but ONLY if the screen is a wide hole type -- distance would be 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor - if its a fine screen like a screen door it would need to be unobstructed either by removing the screen cutting a hole where the UVB would go or inside the tank - 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor