• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried owner

Ione Lewis

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a beautiful juvenile pygmy bearded dragon (pogona henrylawsoni). For the first five weeks looking after our pet was easy. He ate crickets, greens and carrot and basked on his rock under the ceramic heat lamp. He has moulted x 1 no problems. HIs enclosure was a complete one bought from the pet shop and the UV light was new.
He went off his food after I fed him 8 crickets (more than normal) - as we were at the end of a box of live crickets. It was also calcium day. My bad. We took him to our vet after a few days of not eating and staying inside his rock. The vet said to put him in shallow warm water to hydrate him for 5 minutes and then see if he'll eat. He has eaten a cricket or two every few days and eaten his carrots most days. He poos most days. His eyes are bright, and although he is in his rock most of the time, there are no other health problems.
After reading posts on this forum I put the heat lamp up to 34 degrees today, it's usually at 32 degrees day/28 degrees night. He had some sun outside for 5 minutes and then back in his enclosure ate 2-3 calcium crickets (couldn't see if he caught the third). I put in a new branch to enrich his environment and he is basking under the heat lamp (first time in a couple of weeks).
Any comments greatly appreciated.
Ione

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a beautiful juvenile pygmy bearded dragon (pogona henrylawsoni). For the first five weeks looking after our pet was easy. He ate crickets, greens and carrot and basked on his rock under the ceramic heat lamp. He has moulted x 1 no problems. HIs enclosure was a complete one bought from the pet shop and the UV light was new.
He went off his food after I fed him 8 crickets (more than normal) - as we were at the end of a box of live crickets. It was also calcium day. My bad. We took him to our vet after a few days of not eating and staying inside his rock. The vet said to put him in shallow warm water to hydrate him for 5 minutes and then see if he'll eat. He has eaten a cricket or two every few days and eaten his carrots most days. He poos most days. His eyes are bright, and although he is in his rock most of the time, there are no other health problems.
After reading posts on this forum I put the heat lamp up to 34 degrees today, it's usually at 32 degrees day/28 degrees night. He had some sun outside for 5 minutes and then back in his enclosure ate 2-3 calcium crickets (couldn't see if he caught the third). I put in a new branch to enrich his environment and he is basking under the heat lamp (first time in a couple of weeks).
Any comments greatly appreciated.
Ione

I need more info: what is the UVB that you are using?? I ask because UVB has a big effect on their appetite.
Did he drink any water when you soaked him?? This is the only way they hydrate and that is thru drinking it, it is a myth that they absorb water thru their vent.
Your temps need to be warmer the basking for a juv should be 107-115F so that's (41-46C) your cool side can go down to 65-70F so that's (18-21C)
So I would say heat and UVB may be the issue..

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Is he scratching a lot? He most likely wants to go into brumation (or he did). Here is a website that tells you about it:

http://bearded-dragon.org/understanding-bearded-dragon-brumation/

Some dragons sleep longer or shorter than others (or not at all). They go off of food too.
I hope all is well! And let us know how he's doing!:bd:
One of mine does scratch when she gets in the water (bath) and sometimes when outside it. She violently scratches at her head.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One of mine does scratch when she gets in the water (bath) and sometimes when outside it. She violently scratches at her head.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
I think it's cute when they scratch and play in the bath lol