• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my dragon

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, at about 2 o’clock is when its lights on for my beardie. At night she sleeps underneath her hammock. Usually within 1/2 hour she emerges from under her hammock. Today it was more than an hour and still no sign of her and so I checked to see if she’s breathing and thankfully she was. So then I placed her outside of the hammock and within a couple minutes she crawled back underneath the hammock again Any help and I’ll be more than gracious.thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, at about 2 o’clock is when its lights on for my beardie. At night she sleeps underneath her hammock. Usually within 1/2 hour she emerges from under her hammock. Today it was more than an hour and still no sign of her and so I checked to see if she’s breathing and thankfully she was. So then I placed her outside of the hammock and within a couple minutes she crawled back underneath the hammock again Any help and I’ll be more than gracious.thanks
How old is the dragon? If she is a year or older its possible she has started to brumate -- does she have a hide? Dragons need hides --- mine has been in his hide / cave for the last 3 days --- it is normal for them to slow down this time of year - eating slows pooping slows and they can brumate for 3 months -- leave her alone -- the time to worry is when they are losing weight or have been hiding for longer than 3 months -- you need to keep a weight on her if she decides to sleep long periods of time --- I run my lights like normal you can shut them off earlier at nite than usual - make sure she is hydrated -- when taking her out to weigh her like every couple of weeks offer her water -- if she comes out on her own to bask maybe some do not eat offer water and food -- so w/ the info that I gave about the brumation the lighting also can have the same effect -- are you using a long tube fixture w/ reflector for a UVB? basking temps are correct and taken w/a digital probe thermometer?

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How old is the dragon? If she is a year or older its possible she has started to brumate -- does she have a hide? Dragons need hides --- mine has been in his hide / cave for the last 3 days --- it is normal for them to slow down this time of year - eating slows pooping slows and they can brumate for 3 months -- leave her alone -- the time to worry is when they are losing weight or have been hiding for longer than 3 months -- you need to keep a weight on her if she decides to sleep long periods of time --- I run my lights like normal you can shut them off earlier at nite than usual - make sure she is hydrated -- when taking her out to weigh her like every couple of weeks offer her water -- if she comes out on her own to bask maybe some do not eat offer water and food -- so w/ the info that I gave about the brumation the lighting also can have the same effect -- are you using a long tube fixture w/ reflector for a UVB? basking temps are correct and taken w/a digital probe thermometer?
Thanks much. I think she’s only like 3 mo. She’s about 12” in length. In the few months I’ve had her she’s only used her cave on a few occasions. Any scales you’d recommend?
As far as watering her goes I have a dish she drinks from. It’s of minimal humidity. Only about 35%.
Im not sure which uvb but it‘s up to par based on the research I’ve done and what other posters have suggested.
And I’ve been using the thermometer below.Thanks much again.
EAD7FD93-D40F-4E72-9F92-029314A66288.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks much. I think she’s only like 3 mo. She’s about 12” in length. In the few months I’ve had her she’s only used her cave on a few occasions. Any scales you’d recommend?
As far as watering her goes I have a dish she drinks from. It’s of minimal humidity. Only about 35%.
Im not sure which uvb but it‘s up to par based on the research I’ve done and what other posters have suggested.
And I’ve been using the thermometer below.Thanks much again.
View attachment 24379
Ok for a 3 month old she should be active and not hiding out under her hammock all the time -- this tells me the lighting is off in the tank --- please post a pic of the tank and lighting please -- you can get a kitchen food scale from Walmart to keep track of her weight but for now we need to find out why shes not basking like she should

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok for a 3 month old she should be active and not hiding out under her hammock all the time -- this tells me the lighting is off in the tank --- please post a pic of the tank and lighting please -- you can get a kitchen food scale from Walmart to keep track of her weight but for now we need to find out why shes not basking like she should
Thanks much. Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away from my computer. Now that you mention it the lighting is off a bit. The basking bulb burnt out last week and I had to wait for a new one which arrived today. While waiting for the new bulb to arrive I had to resort to an 85w basking bulb that I got from petsmart. The bulb that arrived today is 150w, the wattage of the original bulb.
here’s a pic of the terrarium:
B5C0A520-58D7-4469-AF25-D3714FB29BBA.jpeg

Here‘s a pic of the UVB:
ABED413F-BAAC-41FB-AE10-B97EF084AB98.jpeg

And here a pic of the basking
2B547A95-AAD5-4F97-BCAC-90CF06156C3A.jpeg

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I’m guessing it has to be the lighting because my beardies’ basking spot on the hammock is 81 degrees where with the 150 w bulb it was 102-105 degrees.
Should I just mount the new bulb?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m guessing it has to be the lighting because my beardies’ basking spot on the hammock is 81 degrees where with the 150 w bulb it was 102-105 degrees.
Should I just mount the new bulb?
Ok let's start w/ the UVB what is the bulb T 5 or T 8? Next you need a digital probe thermometer? Your basking temps and UVB are crucial- how long was he w/ out heat?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please get rid of the dirt for substrate- how big is your tank? Loose substrate has too much risk for impaction---I can recommend some substrate

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok let's start w/ the UVB what is the bulb T 5 or T 8? Next you need a digital probe thermometer? Your basking temps and UVB are crucial- how long was he w/ out heat?
Please get rid of the dirt for substrate- how big is your tank? Loose substrate has too much risk for impaction---I can recommend some substrate
The UVB is a Reptisun 10.0
i happened to have a temp gun that I was saving for a rainy day.See below. Will it do? And my beardie has been without the proper heating/temperature for at least 3-4 days
As far as substrate I‘ve read that it was okay to go with a bio tank. What would you suggest?thanks again
2A2D4D86-5880-45E4-B884-9C216DCCFDD8.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB is a Reptisun 10.0
i happened to have a temp gun that I was saving for a rainy day.See below. Will it do? And my beardie has been without the proper heating/temperature for at least 3-4 days
As far as substrate I‘ve read that it was okay to go with a bio tank. What would you suggest?thanks again
View attachment 24383
It is ok to go w/ a bio tank but this one I've not seen - please check out the biodudes website- 3-4 days is too long w/ out heat-- let's hope he bounces back they are pretty hardy creatures- the UVB is a T 8 or T 5? Please look on the bulb it will tell you-- distance and placement is crucial between the two bulbs-- please star using the ir gun - however it will not give you an accurate temp on the hammock you need a digital probe thermometer

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It is ok to go w/ a bio tank but this one I've not seen - please check out the biodudes website- 3-4 days is too long w/ out heat-- let's hope he bounces back they are pretty hardy creatures- the UVB is a T 8 or T 5? Please look on the bulb it will tell you-- distance and placement is crucial between the two bulbs-- please star using the ir gun - however it will not give you an accurate temp on the hammock you need a digital probe thermometer
The uvb is F39T5/REPT. The UVB mount is approx. 35”
The UVB is centered at 1ft. The height is 2ft.
All the nearby stores are closed so I won’t be able to buy another thermometer until tomorrow.
The basking light is situated at the back left, top of the terrarium. Under the basking bulb the hammock is approx. 12”
thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Anyone else have suggestions? I’m panicked. Should I just install the new basking bulb?
You can use the IR gun to get basking temps but not on the hammock -- if your using the hammock for the basking decor you will not get a accurate reading - you can take a piece of solid decor set it under the basking bulb and let it sit there for a while to get a actual basking temp --- IR guns cannot read temps off of hammocks - I suggested the probe as they are most accurate and when using a hammock for basking pieces you need to use the probe -- you can install the new bulb but like I said move the hammock and use a solid decor piece to get the basking temp -- you dont want to put the new bulb in w/ out getting a accurate reading -- you dont want to burn him up-- the UVB is a good one --- does it run the whole length of the tank? Its not good to have the whole length of the tank w/ UVB -- they need to be able to get out of those UVB rays w/ out having to hide from them -- Even half the tank would be good for a UVB -- I use 24" fixtures in my 4x2x2 tanks --- distance for a T 5 should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Babies DO NOT BRUMATE -- AND PLEASE NO PANACUR-- You do not want to medicate w/ out knowing first that she DOES INDEED have parasites------------- what are you feeding her? She needs a good staple feeder of crickets dubia roaches or BSFL - I recommend BSFL and dubia roaches -- she needs fresh salads everyday here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you suspect parasites call your vet and drop a fecal off to them -- she is pretty young to have parasites but it is possible --- here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org you NEVER want to medicate a dragon for something you dont know for sure she has EVER!! It is too hard on their systems --- DO NOT EVER let a vet do a enema on them --- ONLY unless its the last option there are other ways of getting a fecal its called natural laxatives!! Enemas can kill them or make them paralyzed!! If she does have parasites it will effect their eating their poop will be runny and it will smell so bad it will make you want to leave the room!! But diet can also cause the runniness---- basking temps will also cause them not to eat ----- if they dont have the correct temps in the tank and correct UVB they will NOT eat
If she does have parasites and only after the fecal has been done to determine that your going to haft to get rid of the substrate in the tank --- parasites need to be thoroughly cleaned out of the tank and the substrate will harbor them if you do not completely clean out the tank everytime she poops ---- your going to need to get some Rescue -- F10 or Zoo Meds Wipeout to clean the tank and all the decor in it --- most people use paper towels and decor that can be cleaned w/ the disinfectants I just recommended --- it is the only way to get rid of the parasites all together or she will get them back ---- thats IF she has them ---------------- I am thinking since your basking temps have not been correct this is why shes not eating -------------- fix that first before you do anything else

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey, good news for the moment. Out of desperation, I installed the new basking bulb last night and I just tried feeding her some silk worms and she came out from underneath the hammock to feast. Then I tried feeding her some crickets and she fed on them as well. And as we speak she just climbed onto her hammock for some rays. I think she might be back to normal, hopefully.thanks again

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Babies DO NOT BRUMATE -- AND PLEASE NO PANACUR-- You do not want to medicate w/ out knowing first that she DOES INDEED have parasites------------- what are you feeding her? She needs a good staple feeder of crickets dubia roaches or BSFL - I recommend BSFL and dubia roaches -- she needs fresh salads everyday here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you suspect parasites call your vet and drop a fecal off to them -- she is pretty young to have parasites but it is possible --- here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org you NEVER want to medicate a dragon for something you dont know for sure she has EVER!! It is too hard on their systems --- DO NOT EVER let a vet do a enema on them --- ONLY unless its the last option there are other ways of getting a fecal its called natural laxatives!! Enemas can kill them or make them paralyzed!! If she does have parasites it will effect their eating their poop will be runny and it will smell so bad it will make you want to leave the room!! But diet can also cause the runniness---- basking temps will also cause them not to eat ----- if they dont have the correct temps in the tank and correct UVB they will NOT eat
I feed her crickets, Phoenix worms and silk worms. I can’t get her to eat fruits and vegetables.Sometimes she’ll eat some cactus but only like once a week. I tried feeding her with tweezers and she only eats a few bites. Any help would be great.thanks much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed her crickets, Phoenix worms and silk worms. I can’t get her to eat fruits and vegetables.Sometimes she’ll eat some cactus but only like once a week. I tried feeding her with tweezers and she only eats a few bites. Any help would be great.thanks much.
Use your phoenix worms to lure her to the bowl - --- you can hand feed a few of them to her to get her used to your hand -- start hand taming and getting her to learn to trust you -- she is very young--- feed as many as you want -- add those phoenix worms in front of her to the salad bowl and feed those first before the main staple feeder--she should be getting her other insects dusted 5 x per week once per feeding w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding --- your going to need a bowl that insects / worms cant get out of some thing like this
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Did you get a actual basking temp? She needs temps 105-110 for her age -- as she gets older she wont want temps that high -- juvies / adults like temps between 95-110-- around 6 months of age -- its good to offer a gradient heat w/ those temps - a piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand and lay on would offer that gradient heat --- petsmart has great decor pieces for that

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Use your phoenix worms to lure her to the bowl - --- you can hand feed a few of them to her to get her used to your hand -- start hand taming and getting her to learn to trust you -- she is very young--- feed as many as you want -- add those phoenix worms in front of her to the salad bowl and feed those first before the main staple feeder--she should be getting her other insects dusted 5 x per week once per feeding w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding --- your going to need a bowl that insects / worms cant get out of some thing like this
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Did you get a actual basking temp? She needs temps 105-110 for her age -- as she gets older she wont want temps that high -- juvies / adults like temps between 95-110-- around 6 months of age -- its good to offer a gradient heat w/ those temps - a piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand and lay on would offer that gradient heat --- petsmart has great decor pieces for that
I tried mixing Phoenix worms with a salad and she just eats the worms not the salad.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tried mixing Phoenix worms with a salad and she just eats the worms not the salad.
Go figure feed her like that every day --- maybe add less worms and more salad -- make her work for the worms --