• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

worried about 6 month old bearded dragon

Hux

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hoping someone can give some advice to novice beardie owners as we are getting worried. When we got Puck he was active with good appetite, then came a difficult shed that seemed to throw him followed by what looked like a brumation, now lethargic, only eating small amount ( 3 or 4 roaches a day as he has gone off hoppers and waxworms and never eats veg). He weighs 57 gm so I think underweight. 4 foot tank, 4 foot UV tube, heat lamp so temps are ok I think, bathing him regularly with some reptoboost But he spends most of the day asleep and not very lively when we take him out. Thanks for any help
Paul

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hoping someone can give some advice to novice beardie owners as we are getting worried. When we got Puck he was active with good appetite, then came a difficult shed that seemed to throw him followed by what looked like a brumation, now lethargic, only eating small amount ( 3 or 4 roaches a day as he has gone off hoppers and waxworms and never eats veg). He weighs 57 gm so I think underweight. 4 foot tank, 4 foot UV tube, heat lamp so temps are ok I think, bathing him regularly with some reptoboost But he spends most of the day asleep and not very lively when we take him out. Thanks for any help
Paul
Let's go over lighting first please--- the UVB is in the tank or top ? Is it a T 5 or T 8? Distance and placement between the 2 is different- basking temps are 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? 6 month old dragons do not brumate-- have you had a fecal done for parasites? If not and it's not a lighting issue you might want to take a fecal in NO ENEMAS!! But we need to get lighting correct if it's incorrect

Hux

Bearded Dragon Egg
Let's go over lighting first please--- the UVB is in the tank or top ? Is it a T 5 or T 8? Distance and placement between the 2 is different- basking temps are 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? 6 month old dragons do not brumate-- have you had a fecal done for parasites? If not and it's not a lighting issue you might want to take a fecal in NO ENEMAS!! But we need to get lighting correct if it's incorrect
It's a T5 on the roof of a 2ft high viv. Been to reptile vet and had sample done but nothing amiss.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UV is a 14%, 10 inches above basking log where temp 104, cool end 74.
Ok so the 14% bulb is a good strong bulb -- when using the 14% bulb in my 4x2x2 I had it placed in the tank strapped to the top of the screen w/ a distance of 17-18 inches w/ basking decor directly below it - I would recommend getting it into the tank under your screen w/ a distance of the 17-18" -- I can only tell you what works but the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and w/ your tank being the 24" high its better its inside -- if you prefer to leave it on top of the screen I can find out from some others that are more experienced w/ the bulb and placement of it if you like-- what is the behavior of the dragon? Is he basking for long periods of time under it does he seem to be content w/ where he sits for the UVB meaning is he or seem to want to get closer to the bulb? If its too strong they will hide from the UVB example

Hux

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the 14% bulb is a good strong bulb -- when using the 14% bulb in my 4x2x2 I had it placed in the tank strapped to the top of the screen w/ a distance of 17-18 inches w/ basking decor directly below it - I would recommend getting it into the tank under your screen w/ a distance of the 17-18" -- I can only tell you what works but the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and w/ your tank being the 24" high its better its inside -- if you prefer to leave it on top of the screen I can find out from some others that are more experienced w/ the bulb and placement of it if you like-- what is the behavior of the dragon? Is he basking for long periods of time under it does he seem to be content w/ where he sits for the UVB meaning is he or seem to want to get closer to the bulb? If its too strong they will hide from the UVB example
Hi. Thanks for the advice, have made some changes, uv now inside viv, changed basking lamp as temps too high. Worried about MBD so now giving liquid calcium and D3, seems to be having some effect. But very reluctant to move, clumsy and twice slipped and couldn't right himself. Very scary to see him on his back.

Hux

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. Thanks for the advice, have made some changes, uv now inside viv, changed basking lamp as temps too high. Worried about MBD so now giving liquid calcium and D3, seems to be having some effect. But very reluctant to move, clumsy and twice slipped and couldn't right himself. Very scary to see him on his back.

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_085822_resized_20210411_085852337.jpg
    IMG_20210411_085822_resized_20210411_085852337.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 10

Hux

Bearded Dragon Egg
Put better photo in media gallery under Puck, not a happy lizard

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you dusting his insects? He needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding -- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding-- dragons are clumsy as babies and that is why alot of time we dont recommend loose substrate -- they will get a rock or wood etc instead of the insect -- I am not sure if landing on his back was a accident and being able to not right himself is not good- they cannot breath on their backs-- keep a close eye on that behavior there could be something else going on -- what distance did you put the UVB? Make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer-- let me know if the behavior gets better

Hux

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you dusting his insects? He needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding -- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding-- dragons are clumsy as babies and that is why alot of time we dont recommend loose substrate -- they will get a rock or wood etc instead of the insect -- I am not sure if landing on his back was a accident and being able to not right himself is not good- they cannot breath on their backs-- keep a close eye on that behavior there could be something else going on -- what distance did you put the UVB? Make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer-- let me know if the behavior gets better
Sadly Puck got a lot worse, vet thinks it was adamovirus and suffering, going to miss him so much

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Paul
Hi the UVB light needs replacing every 6Mnths have U replaced it? Without UVB replaced every 6Mnths he has no energy, can’t walk or eat and eventually MBD. Also consider switching tot the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB it’s the best & gives off the uvb he needs; & the Length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank. Also, he needs a hideaway so he can hide underneath & hide/rest when Brunating or needs to get away from the uvb. U can get a hammock & place behind the basking spot place a soft terry cloth cover over it & under a soft fleece blanket so he can hide have dark and shade. Also temps should be 95-100 for a Beardie 10mnths or older & under 10mnths old the temp should be 100-105. Use a digital thermometer. The basking bulb use only a CLEAR zoomed basking for heat. Clear like the sun never colored or coiled bulb in the tank ever. Repcal calcium powder 3-4 times a week once per day lightly sprinkled on the feeders & on a non calcium day sprinkle herptivite once per week/day. Stay off the waxworms & hoppers is not an everyday feeder. Please do crickets and Dubia roaches they are the best & of over a year okd u can do superworms in addition. Is he pooping regularly? Lighting is off or he’s impacted if he’s not. So a warm bath for 15min in lukewarm dechlorinated water to get him to poop. Remove any sand substrate they invest it & use white terry cloth towels as a substrate. Amd stop the wax worms. If he’s brimating still leave the lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter more like 10 & in the summer both lights on for 12-14 more like 14.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadly Puck got a lot worse, vet thinks it was adamovirus and suffering, going to miss him so much
Was he tested for adinovirus? Was he star gazing that is a sure sign?

Hux

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes and our reptile vet said that he was showing all the signs, stargazing and others.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes and our reptile vet said that he was showing all the signs, stargazing and others.
I am sorry to hear this --- it is so hard to lose them --- if and when you get another dragon please disinfect your tank really good - the adenovirus is contagious --- please do not go back to the same person you got the dragon from and I would notify them of this as well -- the whole clutch probably has it --

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Paul
the problem with these guys is that a lot of the diseases they can get have the same symptom. Here are my gues. It could be parasites or impation

so sorry for your loss

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the problem with these guys is that a lot of the diseases they can get have the same symptom. Here are my gues. It could be parasites or impation

so sorry for your loss
So sorry for your loss. Adeno is very very very contagious; so if u have other animals they prolly got it.