• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Won’t wave back

RastaMaDukes

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My beardie Puff just will not wave. I caught 2 pics of him when i first got him, but I haven’t seen him/her wave since. I sit here n wave at him everyday, n never a reply. He cocks his head n looks, sometimes his beard darkens but not too much. Don’t know yet if it’s a boy or a girl. Suspecting a girl. i bought HIR (him n her) on July 23. I figure he was only 6-8 weeks old. Hir was little. Hir reacts to my waving but never waves back, or any other time. What’s up with that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie Puff just will not wave. I caught 2 pics of him when i first got him, but I haven’t seen him/her wave since. I sit here n wave at him everyday, n never a reply. He cocks his head n looks, sometimes his beard darkens but not too much. Don’t know yet if it’s a boy or a girl. Suspecting a girl. i bought HIR (him n her) on July 23. I figure he was only 6-8 weeks old. Hir was little. Hir reacts to my waving but never waves back, or any other time. What’s up with that?
Sammy will wave when she thinks we aren’t watching. She definitely won’t for the camera or when I wave directly at her. They must think we are crazy haha. Puff is so cute!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Waving is part of the mating ritual- means submission head bobbing is dominance

RastaMaDukes

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Sammy will wave when she thinks we aren’t watching. She definitely won’t for the camera or when I wave directly at her. They must think we are crazy haha. Puff is so cute!
Thanks, but Puff just does not wave at all. imma change hir scenery backdrop.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, but Puff just does not wave at all. imma change hir scenery backdrop.
Mine dont wave either --- I have two males they do not see each other --- one time they saw each other and the older ones beard went as black as I have ever seen it --- they do not see each other for the most part ----

RastaMaDukes

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Mine dont wave either --- I have two males they do not see each other --- one time they saw each other and the older ones beard went as black as I have ever seen it --- they do not see each other for the most part ----
oh my, wow..Puff gets a little dark, but never went all black... good way to tell if they are male or female... I think Puff is a girl...really wanted a boy, n still call it a him, so I came up with HIR...him n her, lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh my, wow..Puff gets a little dark, but never went all black... good way to tell if they are male or female... I think Puff is a girl...really wanted a boy, n still call it a him, so I came up with HIR...him n her, lol
You dont want reflection as they think its another dragon and it will stress them out

RastaMaDukes

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You dont want reflection as they think its another dragon and it will stress them out
but his glass cage always has some reflection, how do i stop it?? I think he's used to his own reflection, will watch more i guess

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
but his glass cage always has some reflection, how do i stop it?? I think he's used to his own reflection, will watch more i guess
You can either move the tank to a different area so hes not getting reflection or put up some magazine pages wrapping paper paper bags on the outside of the tank - usually if you cover the back and side walls it will stop it --- my tank is a Zen so I dont have that issue -

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've only ever seen Dex wave at me once. He was sitting on his rock with his back to me and I think I started him. Suddenly his head turned and his little arm came up in a wave. He left his arm up for a second until he realized it was me and not the cat. lol

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Waving is also a defense mechanism, showing other bearded dragons that they are smaller and do not want to fight them because they know they will loose. Younger beardies may do that to humans if they think we are a threat and lets face it when you are 1000 times the size of them with claw like hands to pick them up. It is understandable why they would want to show submission to us. The last thing beardies do when they wave is saying hi, its always a defense mechanism