• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will he be okay?

Misty Ramsey

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I adopted two juvy beardies and while one seems to be doing well, the other is much smaller and not doing so well. I suspect the person who bred them wasnt bothering with proper heating and lighting. The little guy will eat on his own every so many days (Ive been force feeding him every day) and when he does try to eat, his coordination is very poor. I worry about his lack of appetite and ability to snatch up a pheonix or a crick thats right in front of him. Hes in a 20 g tank with a 125w solar glow heat UV bulb. Feeding him pheonix and hornworms mostly (along with the veggies I keep in the tank) dusted with cal + D3 and Im giving him a critical care supplement via syringe. They both look much better than when I got them about a month ago but is it possible the little guy will never be better with eating?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sadly, sometimes the best you can do isn't enough. that doesn't mean you should stop trying. it may take him a bit longer to come around. if you can - I would suggest a vet visit. he may have an infection, or parasites, or who knows what.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
125w in a 20 gallon tank :eek: that sounds real hot. There needs to be a temp gradient in the tank, I have a feeling you aren't getting that.

Misty Ramsey

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
sadly, sometimes the best you can do isn't enough. that doesn't mean you should stop trying. it may take him a bit longer to come around. if you can - I would suggest a vet visit. he may have an infection, or parasites, or who knows what.
The girl I got them from (she rescued them and gave them to me) said she took them to the vet and they were parasite free but underdeveloped.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you can get their living conditions in the right spots temps, UVB, giving the right foods, supplements and love anything is possible.. The key is the 20gal is not big enough for 1 even. I would upgrade them to 40g breeders if your in the states Petco is currently having their $1 a gal sale and they do it like 4 times a year...The bigger one is likely hogging all the good spots/heat resources..
They don't have good eye sight up close in front of them so that will make it seem awkward in that aspect.
I would get an IR temp gun as those are much more accurate.. and you can get the cheap online.
And then there are the ones that just have the failure to thrive and just don't do well no matter what you do.

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I recused my girls, they were in a seriously bad way. Wasnt sure if they were gonna make it though the night let alone for 4 months that we have had them. They were extremely under weight couldn't even lift their little heads. Now after plenty of tlc, making smoothies with bugs and veg ( even brought a smoothie maker to do it) and several vets visits and different meds are doing so well.
f03674bce9c051b2fd86460aec533f7d.jpg

This is day we got them ( this is dinky)

8a7c692e8267bb6b39c12c3e59a05057.jpg
( dinky now)

83fb25b39cef1f9ecef8df725b74d73a.jpg
( this is blinky )

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The change is nothing short of AWESOME !!!! GOOD for you ! - keep up the good work !

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I recused my girls, they were in a seriously bad way. Wasnt sure if they were gonna make it though the night let alone for 4 months that we have had them. They were extremely under weight couldn't even lift their little heads. Now after plenty of tlc, making smoothies with bugs and veg ( even brought a smoothie maker to do it) and several vets visits and different meds are doing so well.
f03674bce9c051b2fd86460aec533f7d.jpg

This is day we got them ( this is dinky)

8a7c692e8267bb6b39c12c3e59a05057.jpg
( dinky now)

83fb25b39cef1f9ecef8df725b74d73a.jpg
( this is blinky )

wow what a difference it makes when they are getting the proper care!! way to go!!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
9c07f6c3c4575bab32d1a3e3c599012d.jpg

This was blinky.

OMG I thought she was gone :( I tell you these critters are soo strong! Love, food, good lighting brings out their will to live! Fantastic job!!

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think because they were in such a bad way when they came to us is the reason they have a close bond with each other I did separate them when they started to get better but they refused to eat and started snapping at us but when I put them back together they are the friendliest dragons you will ever meet.

Missbipbip

Bearded Dragon Egg
OMG I thought she was gone :( I tell you these critters are soo strong! Love, food, good lighting brings out their will to live! Fantastic job!!
In your picture, blinks has a really large neck. I thought my Beardie's neck had gotten large before he died but he was kind of large in his body. I thought it was just because he was getting older. What could cause an enlarged neck like that? By the way, I am glad to hear he is better. I miss my buddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow, that is unbelievable. Great job!!!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
In your picture, blinks has a really large neck. I thought my Beardie's neck had gotten large before he died but he was kind of large in his body. I thought it was just because he was getting older. What could cause an enlarged neck like that? By the way, I am glad to hear he is better. I miss my buddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't know could be her age, breed or she is just fat lol

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wish there were more people like you in this world! :)

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Even their vet is amazed they survived a few days let alone turn into perfectly healthy dragons. They are the 1st dragons we have owned. Didn't have a clue what to do or feed them them. But after googleing and getting different answers from different sites I just went with my gut instincts and here they are. I even brought a smoothie maker to make them bug n veg smoothies that I could feed them with a syringe every 4 hours including night feeds. I was turning lights on at 2am fed them at 4am lights off at 6am, lights on at 8am feed at 10am and so on. Did that for 4 weeks then changed it to every 6 hours when they started eating live worms on their own and gradually worked up to 12 hours light n 12 hour off with as much veg they can eat and live food at 7.30am ( half hour after lights on) and live food at 4.30pm lights out at 7pm.

They were going to vet every few days but now he only needs to see them twice a year for check ups unless they need to go for anything else