• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild BSFL? (aka reptiworms)

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
I've been trouble finding this information... What possible parasites could wild BSFL (aka reptiworms/calciworms/phoenix worms) carry? If so, is there any way to 'deworm' them?

The sites that suggest you can't feed wild BSFL to bearded dragons are usually the same sites that also sell 'farmed' BSFL, which means they have a vested interest in you not finding out how stupid-easy it is to raise wild BSFL. And didn't those companies, at some point in the past, have to start their colony from the wild?

What I want to know is how they 'purified' their colony before isolating it.

I currently already have a BSFL colony going very strong in a bucket outside. My chickens absolutely go crazy for them, and I'm considering starting another bucket. There is no maintenance whatsoever besides occasionally adding more food (such as table scraps, overripe fruits and veggies, etc. I've currently been using some damp non-medicated chicken feed, which makes them GROW like crazy) I don't feed them any animal wastes or animal products, such as meat, dairy, etc.

It seems silly for me to pay big bucks for the same exact maggot, when I've got tons of them already.

Ideas? Thoughts? Am I stupid for even considering wild foods for a beardie?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well that's a good question...one that I"m not sure of.. I would imagine they would carry pinworms like crickets...

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
I wonder if there is anywhere I could get them tested for parasites...Would a reptile vet do that?

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
From what I have been learning they don't carry parasites.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for that. I had heard that they can actually digest E. coli and coccidia, destroying the pathogen in the process. Looks like there's a forum connected to that blog you linked, so I think I'll ask if anyone had them tested for parasites before.
I just want to be double sure. I don't want to screw up and get my lizard sick (when I get him, that is. Right now, I'm just working on getting my bug colonies set up)
After reading on so many websites claiming they're chock-full of parasites in the wild, I gotta wonder where that rumor got started.

As far as getting mine tested, it would probably be cheaper to start with some ordered 'clean' worms and keep them isolated. Which I might do just to be safe.

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
Yea you could. But I I read they eat and destroy a lot of harmful bacteria. Things like this get started long time ago. Now I know crickets are the worst for carrying parasites I've heard very little about dubia roaches caring parasites

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
Well, after a bit of research, looks like I'm probably worried for nothing. BSFL are basically a freakin' divine gift on all accounts, lol.

I had to secure my bin better, as I found a possum in it TWICE, chomping away! If anyone is interested in how I put my bin together, lemme know, I'll make a post on it. Cost me maybe a total of $5. It's basically just a bucket propped up on bricks at an angle. To secure it, I got a snap on lid and cut away about an inch.

Any suggestions on other 'legless' feeders? I have issues with big six-legged critters (roaches and crickets are not coming into my house, nu-uh, nope, nope. If a palmetto bug gets in my house, you'll hear me screech from a block away). I understand that mealworms are only good for occasional snacks for adults, not as a staple due to too much chitin. (but I'll probably start a colony anyway, my chickens love 'em)

I may attempt silkworms, but the food is quite expensive. Does anyone know if mulberry trees are evergreen? My parents have one that is quite large, so I could collect leaves weekly and keep them in the fridge. But I never really noticed if the tree loses its leaves in winter.

I also considered raising hornworms, but it looks like the adult moths are constantly having projectile liquid poo. Ick.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would worry about the possum being in the BSFL and you feeding your reptile. Not sure if the possum can pass anything to reptiles.

I've had a hard time with silkworms. The only way I've gotten my eggs to hatch is if they are refrigerated for some time and then taken out and warmed up. I have difficulty with the food though. If I put the food in with the eggs, it dries up or molds before the eggs hatch. The babies are too hard to keep moving to a separate container. I need a minute for my brain to rest and figure out the best way to do it LOL! I accidentally bred silkworms last fall because I ordered a ton of them only to have my beardies go into brumation.

When I bred hornworms, I kept them in a retptibreeze cage with a shower curtain around the 3 sides. It cuts down on the nasty stuff being flung all over the house. I also kept them in the basement so that if any did escape, it's just the basement.

Super worms are pretty easy to breed but they take a long time to get to the size you need for your beardie. So you will need to have a back up plan until your colony gets going.

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
Nevermind, I found the information. I was confused due to the fact that some unscrupulous pet shops sell superbig, hormone treated mealworms as superworms. I never realized that there was something different.
I'm going to look into getting some. Looks like similar care to mealworms for a better end product.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I was under the impression that superworms were just giant mealworms. Are they actually a different species?

They are still a darkling beetle only a different kind.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes the care for superworms are different than the mealworms supers can not be stored in the fridge mealworms yes..Superworms have more soft shell compared to mostly chitlin in mealworms.. Superworms do however have alot of fat in them so feed them in moderation..
I keep my supers in a wheatbran substrate and I have a big plastic top to a peanut butter container that I put veggies on for them to eat.

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
I just ordered some superworms from Flukers, should be here quick as I'm in the same state as them. :) Other than the sensitivity to cold, and refusing to pupate unless isolated, are there any other differences between them and mealworms I should be aware of? I'm having trouble finding out the fertile lifespan of the beetles, for one thing. One site claimed they could live for up to 15 YEARS, which seems a bit ridiculous for an insect.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I just ordered some superworms from Flukers, should be here quick as I'm in the same state as them. :) Other than the sensitivity to cold, and refusing to pupate unless isolated, are there any other differences between them and mealworms I should be aware of? I'm having trouble finding out the fertile lifespan of the beetles, for one thing. One site claimed they could live for up to 15 YEARS, which seems a bit ridiculous for an insect.

Supers can sometimes start to smell. The reason this happens is, 1. you have too many in your container and not enough substrate or 2. the substrate got moist somehow. I always use at least 3 inches of substrate, I like wheat bran the best because it's finer but people have used oats too. They love to hide so giving them the substrate to hide in makes them happy and they won't eat each other. As far as keeping the substrate dry. When you give them veggies, put them on something. I like to use the cardboard drink holders or the TOP of a cardboard egg cartoon. This way the holes are already there giving them easy access to the veggies on top. If there are no holes, they will make their own. Supers love to eat through stuff like that, but don't worry, they don't eat through plastic (or your beardies stomach).

Oh and ventilation, make sure whatever you keep them in has good ventilation.

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
When you say good ventilation, are we talking about holes poked in the sides? Or would a fully screened lid be better? What I've got is several plastic shoeboxes, I was hoping to save space by stacking them, which means all the ventilation would have to come from the sides... If that's not feasible, of course, I'll figure out another place to keep them where I have more space.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When you say good ventilation, are we talking about holes poked in the sides? Or would a fully screened lid be better? What I've got is several plastic shoeboxes, I was hoping to save space by stacking them, which means all the ventilation would have to come from the sides... If that's not feasible, of course, I'll figure out another place to keep them where I have more space.
A fully screened top would be the best option..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
However if your tub is deep enough you could cut rectangles lengthwise across the upper part of the tub on both sides and screen it...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
However if your tub is deep enough you could cut rectangles lengthwise across the upper part of the tub on both sides and screen it...

I was going to say this too. You could make the ventilation on the sides rather the top.

I took a plastic box and cut the middle of the tip off and glued drawer to it. Drawer liner is the cushiony stuff with the holes in it.

IMG_8727.JPG