• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why is my dragon hiding?

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
recently my bearded dragon has been hiding under his basking log. He doesn't stay there all day but he does stay there for quite a while. Nothing has changed in his enclosure or in his habits such as eating or behavior and all his temps are correct. When I came to give him some salad, he was under his log, then came out to eat some salad eagerly and without hesitation but then went right back under his log? Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_2685.JPG
    IMG_2685.JPG
    957.5 KB · Views: 127

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
well mine do that kind of thing all the time,so I'm saying yes. just when you think you have them all figured out, they do something out of the norm. He will be back to his regular routine in time no doubt and if he's eating, he needs to bask at some point. Who knows why they do some of the things they do? lol

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
well mine do that kind of thing all the time,so I'm saying yes. just when you think you have them all figured out, they do something out of the norm. He will be back to his regular routine in time no doubt and if he's eating, he needs to bask at some point. Who knows why they do some of the things they do? lol
I think I was just being paranoid. I owned a dragon before this one and it got sick and died so I’m trying much harder to make this new dragon happy and healthy. But he is back to his old routine of hanging out on his log and basking so everything seems all right.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You say your temps are fine what are they? They can be funny critters but maybe the temps were too hot for him?

JasperMoon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have one thing to add... just make sure he is pooping... the only time Jasper has ever hidden (he went into his cave and just seemed to be sleeping in there, totally not normal for him) was when he got constipated. I know Jasper's normal bowel emptying schedule so when I noticed he hadn't gone the night before nor all day long, and then hid in his cave, I thought he might be constipated. I put him in a warm bath and within about 5 minutes he pooped more than I'd ever seen him poop. Just goes to show that the better you know your dragon, the better off you are with knowing if something is amiss.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
I have one thing to add... just make sure he is pooping... the only time Jasper has ever hidden (he went into his cave and just seemed to be sleeping in there, totally not normal for him) was when he got constipated. I know Jasper's normal bowel emptying schedule so when I noticed he hadn't gone the night before nor all day long, and then hid in his cave, I thought he might be constipated. I put him in a warm bath and within about 5 minutes he pooped more than I'd ever seen him poop. Just goes to show that the better you know your dragon, the better off you are with knowing if something is amiss.
That’s exactly what I did. I gave him a good bath but it took him a while to go poop because he does not like water one bit. But he did his business and everything looked normal and nothing different or odd with his poop. He’s back to normal now and is doing great.

JasperMoon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
That’s exactly what I did. I gave him a good bath but it took him a while to go poop because he does not like water one bit. But he did his business and everything looked normal and nothing different or odd with his poop. He’s back to normal now and is doing great.

Awesome. Yeah mine don’t like baths either.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@VinceG123 your basking spot needs to be around 107degrees. Little ones need lots of warmth. 100 degrees is perfect for a 2 year old dragon.