• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which natural rocks to use?

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I called a very well known local fish and reptile store to ask what type of rocks they carry and use for BD's. They told me they have 2 kinds:
Obsidian Slate chunks
obsidian slate.jpg

and Coral Slate
Coral Slate Rock for Aquariums.jpg

The obsidian can be sharp on the edges but you can dull them out by lightly taping a hammer or butter knife handle against the sharp edges. Or you can file them down with of course, a file. The plus side of Obsidian is that it retains heat very well which could be valuable in given circumstances. They both cost $1.59 a pound and I could easily build a hide/ basking spot with 6 pounds. If I went this route, I would build 2 hides, 1 of which at the cool end. Never heard or seen Coral Slate until today and they both seem to be very hard rocks that won't crumble or deteriorate in a BD's life time. What do you think?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, I have never used either one but from the looks I can see pros and cons to both. If i were choosing i would go with the coral, the obsedian looks to smooth but it would be easier to clean..

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I thought the same. BD's need some traction and the coral slate would be perfect for him to get a grip and even self file his nails down naturally. The Obsidian would be easy to clean as the coral is more course. I'm sure I'm going to go with the coral slate. And I'm sure it retains heat as well, maybe not as much as the obsidian. However, my enclosure is only about 16-18 inches tall inside. Thanks for your thoughts, I'm sure both are safe.... it's just a matter of preference now.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Wish I had a river that has rocks around here, but our river is more light red water from red clay and sand with mesquite trees in a canyon type surrounding. The only rocks out there are sand slate, which breaks up easy and then there is the impaction risk you know? Is drift wood ok to use too? I have some driftwood I used to use in my 50 gal Fresh Water Fish Aquarium. It's clean from the last time I used it.

CMahoney

Hatchling Dragon
Slate is a good idea. I am hoping by having some slate it will keep my dragon's claws trimmed down. I have seen people use slate to cover their whole floor without any substrate over it.

lovemydragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just a FYI the obsidian gets REALLY way to hot under basking lights!! i am not sure if it doesn't disperse the heat right or what.