• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to get shelves/elevation for terrarium

MikeNTalysDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm going to be moving my dragon Dexter into a 55 gallon soon. It's 18" tall, 48" wide, 13" deep, it's shown in the first picture. I'm having a hard time finding shelving or other types of elevated platforms. I'm looking for things like in the next 3 pictures. Are these mostly DIY jobs, or can you buy things like this at pet stores/online?

I'm also having a hard time finding a 18x48 background to stick on the back of the glass. The wife insisted on green carpet.. no matter how much I stressed that he's a desert lizard.. so ideally I need something that's going to have some green in it. Would appreciate any links or tips.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DexterHabitats.jpg
    DexterHabitats.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 747
  • Shelves.jpg
    Shelves.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 521
  • DragonHabitat3.jpg
    DragonHabitat3.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 528
  • DragonHabitat2.jpg
    DragonHabitat2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 805

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
first - green carpet. your beardie wont care. you can get green reptile carpet.
background - look for a poster. or - have you "googled" desert scene tank background?
shelving - those are nice. probably hand made. there may be some links on here of how-to. if not - well, google. some larger pet stores may have them, but you can probably throw together something quick and easy. again - your beardie wont care what it looks like.

Have fun !! - enjoy the journey

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
20160205_094645.jpg 1 of mine is in a 55 gal and I have a rock background plastic I got from Petco, I use a half cinder block and a long flat cork log that is her basking area, tile floor with some repti carpet..

MikeNTalysDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
first - green carpet. your beardie wont care. you can get green reptile carpet.
background - look for a poster. or - have you "googled" desert scene tank background?
shelving - those are nice. probably hand made. there may be some links on here of how-to. if not - well, google. some larger pet stores may have them, but you can probably throw together something quick and easy. again - your beardie wont care what it looks like.

Have fun !! - enjoy the journey

I know the dragon doesn't care what it looks like, but for me it seems weird to put a Australian desert lizard in a tropical rain forest themed enclosure. Luckily I found this on Amazon, 60" x 24", double sided. One of the sides is a desert background but also has a lot of green, so it will go well with the green reptile carpet without making it all look out of place. This works out for both of us, since I wanted a desert theme and she wanted some color.

I'll probably have to come up with something DIY for the elevated platforms. I can't seem to find anything for sale. He's got his tree for now at least, and I also have a hammock, so I'll just get him set up for now and then add to it as needed.

Attachments

• background.jpg
    background.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 776

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You can get brown carpet too ;) I also use a shelf liner that is tan speckled almost looks sandy. I use a wire shelf for my tanks. I have three though and need to stack them on top of each other. One thing I wanted to say about the the measurements of your tank. Height wise and length it sounds good but 13" deep might get a little to confining when he gets older. Think about the fact that an adult bearded dragon is 18-24", 13" is going to be a little tight to turn around in.

MikeNTalysDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
The background finally came in. His habitat is good to go for now, but as Patsy pointed out it is a bit narrow, so I expect we'll have to upgrade eventually. I figure he should be fine for the next 6-9 months though. We are pretty happy with how it turned out. I was able to keep the desert theme that I wanted, and it has plenty of color too.

Attachments

• Dexter New Habitat.JPG
    Dexter New Habitat.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 710