• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When to alter insect feeding regiment

Zombree93

Hatchling Dragon
So I brought Varok home on February 17, 2021. I was not told how old she was only that she was a juvenile. This month I’ll have had her for three so that might put her around 5 months? I’ll post a picture of the day I brought her home and the most recent picture to help gauge her size/age.

My question is at what point do I stop feeding insects every day and move into once every other day? Is she still a juvenile around 5 months? Any help would be appreciated. She has grown a lot but March 17th will mark her third month with me.

I was also wondering if anyone could take a stab at her morph? She has clear nails so I suspect hypo is involved but she has a rich orange that suggests a red hypo. However, I have found few results for red hypos. She was sold to me as a red but she’s clearly not a full blown red. The other ones they market under that label range from a little red to blood red markings (not full body red). And then there was her. The other ones marketed under that label don’t have clear nails. If I died without a professional guess as to what she was I’d be alright. I am just curious but I know the only final answer would have to come from the breeder - whom I’ll never be able to ask myself.

Thank you for reading and I’m sorry for the long post. My primary question is the diet change. The morph business is secondary.

Attachments

• B3903680-EE0E-4C6E-9FEC-7002B0C694DD.jpeg
    B3903680-EE0E-4C6E-9FEC-7002B0C694DD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • D1FE7B4E-6FDC-45B6-A875-8EB8620E0C2A.jpeg
    D1FE7B4E-6FDC-45B6-A875-8EB8620E0C2A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Zombree93

Hatchling Dragon
P.S. I changed her diet up to have Bok Choy as the main staple and haven’t offered baby spinach since it was mentioned in my first post. She doesn’t like the Bok Choy but I’m afraid to give her baby spinach occasionally because then she’ll say to Hell with the Bok Choy.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Omg MAY 17th will mark my third month. Not March. Sorry. I got my months mixed up.
Here is a pic of Hiccup -- he is now 3 but your guy looks like him in terms of coloring - Hiccup is a orange citrus tiger I am not seeing red in your guy --clear nails means hes a hypo and dark eyes -- please NO more spinach --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Your dragon needs insects every day until he / she is around 1 year--- are you offering insects 2 times per day? What are you feeding? Have you gotten some BSFL for him/ her?

Attachments

• 8-22-18 3.JPG
    8-22-18 3.JPG
    798 KB · Views: 11

Zombree93

Hatchling Dragon
I offer Dubia roaches online and I feed crickets in between the time it takes them to ship to me. I feed Bok Choy with calcium dust when she wakes up but she won’t touch it until after I feed her insects. After she eats the insects she usually eats the Bok Choy but not all of it at first. Over the course of the day. I was feeding her three times a day when she was small but I lessened it to twice a day as more often she would refuse to eat the third time. Now we have it down to once a day. If I offer twice she isn’t interested. She may eat one or two insects but then she walks away from them.

I have wax worms and superworms as occasional items but they are in no way fed regularly. The wax worms I gave her yesterday were the first she’s had in about a month. She loves the superworms but I don’t offer them more than once or twice a week and she was only introduced to them about a month ago. When she was small I didn’t offer them to her at all.

She has orange eyes not dark ones but she does have clear nails.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And they do look a lot alike! Thank you for the help.
I would get her some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com they are a great staple feeder DO NOT DUST them-- you can add them to the tops of her salads -- do it in front of her so the movement gets her attention -- its good to give variety -- different insects along w/ worms -- she can eat horn worms and butter worms -- www.mulberryfarms.com I recommend only getting one cup of the horn worms tho -- they grow really fast and you would need to feed like 2 at a time depending on how big they are when they come in---- the butter worms are spendy too but they are a nice soft worm ---also another staple feeder is silk worms -- www.reptilianarts.com cup come w/ food the bulk come small and NO food -- they are another to add to the salads as well they stick to everything

Zombree93

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you. I wish I could get her to try different vegetables. She likes to eat things I can’t give her often like blueberries or a bite of banana. Carrots and parsley be damned.

Zombree93

Hatchling Dragon
I wish I could get a picture of her eye but the lighting would have to be just right. She has yellow irises like the yellow on her skin.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wish I could get a picture of her eye but the lighting would have to be just right. She has yellow irises like the yellow on her skin.
This is Blaze hes a red translucent/ wiblet --- hes a hypo he has clear nails and black eyes --- not sure about the yellow eyes and the clear nails -- Hiccup has yellow eyes and dark nails

Attachments

• Blaze 10-18-2019.jpg
    Blaze 10-18-2019.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 9

Zombree93

Hatchling Dragon
I have another final question- at my neighborhood pet store (feeders supply) they have baby wild type bearded dragons there and they are incredibly small. They are more expensive than Petsmart under the guise that they are more reputable caretakers of the animals. Isn’t it a tad bit inappropriate to sell them to the public while that small? They are smaller than the size of my pinkie finger and they’re really skinny. Varok was skinny when I got her so I assume that’s a common theme across franchise pet stores. But at what point are baby dragons stable enough to be sold? I thought it was when they were 2 months of age. There is no way these are two months old. To put it in perspective my pinkie is maybe 2.5 inches long and with their tail they’re probably 4 inches long.

Is it based on how many meals they’ve eaten without issue or months old or the size? I know pet stores don’t adhere to the rules set by more attentive breeders. When are they considered okay to be sold to a new home?

Zombree93

Hatchling Dragon
Honestly when I think about it four inches even sounds too large for them. They are so small looking I’d be afraid to even hold them.