• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When should I provide a dig box?

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Nibbler, my little girl, she's growing rapidly and at almost 16 weeks old she's growing into quite a little madam. The last week or so she's been digging like crazy on every surface, is she trying to tell me she has a desire to start practicing for the future? Is she too young to know she's a she and may eventually need to lay? Or the most likely option is she just trying to get a rise out of me? LOL she's shredding the kitchen towel as soon as I change it. I think she's big enough for me to provide playsand for her and Charlie, her brother, but I don't want to do either of their vivs with sand I like to be able to see against the white paper any problems should they occur. Basically what I'm asking are what are my options on lay bins/dig boxs? I'm not sure what I would call them for a juvenile dragon. Charlie tries digging occasionally but it doesn't last for more than a minute at a time and they are few and far between, but Nibbler she is constantly trying to dig and I'm worried about her nails etc.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It's very natural for them to dig,Khaleesi. Even more so being that she is a caged creature and probably bored and exploring. Nothing to be concerned about. I would highly recommend against any particulate substrate until you are sure they are 10+ inches from snout tip to tail-tip. I can also tell you that in my own personal experience as well as the experience I have gathered via others that have tried the "sandbox or dig-box" that they are really much more trouble than they are worth as there is no way you will be able to get the sand in the box for very long. It's guaranteed that your dragons will throw and track it from one end of the enclosure to the other in no time at all and you will find yourself spending more time having to do house cleaning.
Which ever way you choose to go I would recommend sticking with a single substrate choice for the entire enclosure and I would not be concerned about her nail as if they start getting sore she will stop digging on her own.

Enjoy!

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for the quick reply. They are both more than big enough for sand, Nibbler is around 14inches and Charlie 13inches, I know they are bigger than this I have not been able to get an accurate measurement so I measure shoulder to tip of tail, their still a bit weird about sitting still for me so I measure secretly while they are distracted by a hand fed bug. I can't do either enclosure with sand as I have a vent in the bottom left of both to regulate the temps, they are perfect now at 42 oC so if it were you how would you go about helping with this digging craving she has going on? In the summer months it will be ok~ish as I have a sand pit in the garden it's used for nothing but lizards and is emptied, cleaned and fresh sand put back in. They will also have a few other surprises for the garden too, we have a rabbit run that we use for Louie so he can safely play on the grass, they will both be good in that as it's huge. (obviously not at the same time) I would love to have something for them to play in at winter. Any suggestions?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I really wouldn't be to concerned about providing them with something to dig in unless you can go all sand which isn't feasible with your enclosure. If you are really worried about it then you can try the "sand box" in the enclosure but I was really just forewarning you that it is going to be messy because you will not be able to contain it.:)

Enjoy your week and I am really happy that your lil dragons are doing well and growing fast!!

Alex Arrigone

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie is doing the same. Marley is only about 2 months old now. She doesn't dig during the day but when the lights go out she starts scratching the floor of the viv before settling down after about 15 min. I assumed she was keeping her claws trimmed.
She over 10 inches now so will let her grow another few inches and will get play sand for her.

Why do you have a vent on the bottom of the tank? I'm curious because heat rises. Would you not be able to seal the vent and revent your viv ?

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
I was having trouble getting the temps right I had a 40w bulb but they were rising constantly way too high so I added the extra vent on the bottom of the viv to try get some extra air into the vivs or them it worked they now have perfect temps. I don't want to remove the vents as I already know I couldn't control the temp and the only bulb option I have readily available is 26w and that's too low it would be too cold. I'm seriously considering building a high sided sand pit that I can take down as and when required so they can play inside the house, I know my floors would look like Blackpool beach moved in but dry sand is easy enough to clean up, failing that IDK what to do with her she's obviously yearning to dig to China lol :confused:

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie is doing the same. Marley is only about 2 months old now. She doesn't dig during the day but when the lights go out she starts scratching the floor of the viv before settling down after about 15 min. I assumed she was keeping her claws trimmed.
She over 10 inches now so will let her grow another few inches and will get play sand for her.

Why do you have a vent on the bottom of the tank? I'm curious because heat rises. Would you not be able to seal the vent and revent your viv ?

haha that is very normal some beared dragons like to dig before they sleep and sometimes bury themselfs to keep in the warmth it is okay nothing to worry about:p