• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When did your hatchlings start eating live food?

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have been offering my hatchlings tiny crickets every day but only 2 of the 5 day old hatchlings have eaten them, and then it's only 1 or 2. Some of the others will watch as the crickets walk past. When will they realise it's their food?!

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
Most are eating now, got 3 out of 24 that aren't, managed to get 1 of the 3 to eat some baby food a couple nights ago. I keep trying, not sure what else to do!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most are eating now, got 3 out of 24 that aren't, managed to get 1 of the 3 to eat some baby food a couple nights ago. I keep trying, not sure what else to do!
Keep at it and make sure your temps are good for babies..
you can always put bugs in your slurries...I have a dedicated magic bullet for the dragons lol when I do slurries I do the supplements, fresh greens and if they haven't eaten protein in awhile I'll throw in a few dubia...

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you Jungle Jim. Hdrydr31 I will keep at it! Lol having a magic bullet for slurries! The problem is they don't open their mouths, the 3 that aren't eating, I've tried misting them so they open to drink, that's only worked once... they just seem to want to sleep instead of eat..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Jungle Jim. Hdrydr31 I will keep at it! Lol having a magic bullet for slurries! The problem is they don't open their mouths, the 3 that aren't eating, I've tried misting them so they open to drink, that's only worked once... they just seem to want to sleep instead of eat..
If you had another hand you can have them gently pull their beards a bit to open their mouths..they may just need a little "jump start"...are you keeping note of weights on these ones?

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you had another hand you can have them gently pull their beards a bit to open their mouths..they may just need a little "jump start"...are you keeping note of weights on these ones?
Ok, I'll try that, thanks. No I haven't been but I will now! I really appreciate your advice, so glad I found this forum!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, I'll try that, thanks. No I haven't been but I will now! I really appreciate your advice, so glad I found this forum!
Just make sure you go slow and don't put too much in at once, and make sure it's not too thin as that will go down their throats too quickly before they get the chance to swallow.