• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What type of bug is this?

Munchie93

Bearded Dragon Egg
What type of bug is this? And is it safe for my bearded dragon? It was walking around in my yard and just wanted to know.
thanks

Attachments

• D0AFF24B-4D15-4117-B4BA-F35C1ED04512.jpeg
    D0AFF24B-4D15-4117-B4BA-F35C1ED04512.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What type of bug is this? And is it safe for my bearded dragon? It was walking around in my yard and just wanted to know.
thanks
I have seen those bugs I don't know what they are but on the safe side do not feed- you don't know if it has pesticide on it

Munchie93

Bearded Dragon Egg
I live around no other houses. Mine is the only house around for about a mile. I know it doesn’t have pesticides from me cause I don’t use them.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Dooo NOT FEED, beetles are 100% NO-nos,…. If you want to be bad and risk it, feed him a cricket or a locust, but even then ur risking parasites,….

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Most beetles are toxic, contain acids to prevent them from being eaten , and some can explode (Bombardier beetle) ive never seen that kind of beetle before , its shape and antenna are very suspect…

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
So I did a little Googling, do not feed beetles to your dragon….

Can a bearded dragon eat beetles? No, beetles are not a good idea for your Bearded Dragon. This is because they are difficult for him to consume, with their hard exterior, have limited nutritional benefits, and high-fat content!

And just in case anyone was wondering the beetle you have is a common ground beetle….

Ground Beetles, Subfamily Carabinae​

Ground beetles in the subfamily Carabinaemake up a very large group of beetles, many of which are those similar-looking brown or black beetles you see scurrying across the sidewalk. These ground beetles live under stones and logs, or under your porch.
60685A72-29C7-4501-86D2-C50F539963F5.jpeg

Forrest T.

Hatchling Dragon
Bearded dragons cannot be fed any kind of insect you have collected outside, this is because they could contain both pesticides or parasites that could be of harm to your lizard. Always feed store-bought feeders to keep your beardie in tip-top shape.

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So I did a little Googling, do not feed beetles to your dragon….

Can a bearded dragon eat beetles? No, beetles are not a good idea for your Bearded Dragon. This is because they are difficult for him to consume, with their hard exterior, have limited nutritional benefits, and high-fat content!

And just in case anyone was wondering the beetle you have is a common ground beetle….

Ground Beetles, Subfamily Carabinae​

Ground beetles in the subfamily Carabinaemake up a very large group of beetles, many of which are those similar-looking brown or black beetles you see scurrying across the sidewalk. These ground beetles live under stones and logs, or under your porch.
View attachment 28282
Dubia roaches are an excellent stable. They have good nutrition for our scaly babies.

Munchie93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bearded dragons cannot be fed any kind of insect you have collected outside, this is because they could contain both pesticides or parasites that could be of harm to your lizard. Always feed store-bought feeders to keep your beardie in tip-top shape.
I’ve been feeding my bearded dragon crickets, grasshoppers and bees from outside for the past year. Nothing wrong with her. I just had her to the vet for a checkup and they’ve said she is healthy and no signs of parasites and she is in very good health.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I’ve been feeding my bearded dragon crickets, grasshoppers and bees from outside for the past year. Nothing wrong with her. I just had her to the vet for a checkup and they’ve said she is healthy and no signs of parasites and she is in very good health.

You can feed the beetle form of super worms (they’re in the darkling beetle family) BEES?!???…. I hope you ment something else….

Munchie93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes that’s what they are called. I always just call them wood bees. He loves dead honeybees also.