• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to feed a very malnourished baby beardie

PotsieShoomaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,
I've recently, acquired a beautiful juvenile bearded dragon from a situation where he was very neglected. When I got him, he was very thin and malnourished and had tail rot so severe he had to have about half of his tail amputated. He couldn't open either eye due to complications from vitamin deficiency or possibly infection. He did have UV lighting at his old home but was only ever fed mealworms straight from the fridge a couple times a week at most and lived in one of those horrible 10 gallon pet store enclosures. The vet said he was about half the size he should be for his age (around 8 months) and had mdb and severe vitamin deficiency. I've had him for about a month now and have him set up in a much larger enclosure with proper lighting and heat. He has received vitamin injections and eye treatment. He is doing much better and can see out of both eyes but he still will only eat mealworms. I feed him every day as many as he will eat (which isn't a lot). They are always gut loaded and dusted (alternately with and without D3). I have read that mealworms can be a problem due to impaction but I'm not sure what else to try. After doing research I tried black soldier fly larvae but my beardie won't touch them. I managed to trick him by mixing them with his mealworms but once one got in his mouth he actually spit it out and selectively avoided them after that. The only other bug I've had success with is wax worms which I feel might be helpful in putting a little weight on him but I know they're not a great staple. He also will not touch his greens though he always has them available. He actually won't even try for anything that isn't moving. I can sometimes pop a piece in his mouth while he's eating but that sometimes causes him to spit everything out which isn't great considering what a finnicky little eater he is to begin with. When I first got him, I was syringe feeding him powdered omnivore rescue diet mixed with water. That helped get him through a period when he was too sick to eat at all. Should I keep supplementing with that? I have a vet appointment this week but thought I'd see if any of you have insight here as it's been almost a decade since I've cared for one of these little dudes. Thanks in advance!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,
I've recently, acquired a beautiful juvenile bearded dragon from a situation where he was very neglected. When I got him, he was very thin and malnourished and had tail rot so severe he had to have about half of his tail amputated. He couldn't open either eye due to complications from vitamin deficiency or possibly infection. He did have UV lighting at his old home but was only ever fed mealworms straight from the fridge a couple times a week at most and lived in one of those horrible 10 gallon pet store enclosures. The vet said he was about half the size he should be for his age (around 8 months) and had mdb and severe vitamin deficiency. I've had him for about a month now and have him set up in a much larger enclosure with proper lighting and heat. He has received vitamin injections and eye treatment. He is doing much better and can see out of both eyes but he still will only eat mealworms. I feed him every day as many as he will eat (which isn't a lot). They are always gut loaded and dusted (alternately with and without D3). I have read that mealworms can be a problem due to impaction but I'm not sure what else to try. After doing research I tried black soldier fly larvae but my beardie won't touch them. I managed to trick him by mixing them with his mealworms but once one got in his mouth he actually spit it out and selectively avoided them after that. The only other bug I've had success with is wax worms which I feel might be helpful in putting a little weight on him but I know they're not a great staple. He also will not touch his greens though he always has them available. He actually won't even try for anything that isn't moving. I can sometimes pop a piece in his mouth while he's eating but that sometimes causes him to spit everything out which isn't great considering what a finnicky little eater he is to begin with. When I first got him, I was syringe feeding him powdered omnivore rescue diet mixed with water. That helped get him through a period when he was too sick to eat at all. Should I keep supplementing with that? I have a vet appointment this week but thought I'd see if any of you have insight here as it's been almost a decade since I've cared for one of these little dudes. Thanks in advance!
Bless you for taking him on --- so I would get him on a staple diet of dubia roaches --- since he has MBD I would be dusting them every time you feed him the roaches lightly coated w/ calcium D3 - those I would feed 3 times / per week and you MUST have a long tube fixture UVB proper placed and distanced for the screen on the tank --- NO coils they are inadequate --- all long tube fixtures are not the same either --- I have 3 good ones I recommend please tell me what your using --- his basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- for the diet we need to get him on greens / salads -- are you syringe feeding him the ominvore ? that is some good stuff -- if you are you can make slurrys of greens blended in the blender w/ water -- if not you can use the roaches as lures to the salad bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
get them small so you can keep them in that bowl and he will get pieces of salad going after the roaches - have you tried hand feeding pieces of salad -- collard mustard turnip or kale are all good --- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
please lay off the meal worms and the wax worms --- wax worms are fatty and can cause liver issues -- please get him some super worms use as lures to the salad bowl 1-3 every couple of days also you can try silk worms they are another great staple feeder -- www.reptilianarts.com -- put those in the salads they stick to everything -- I am surprised hes not eating those salads as he was starved -- NO enemas at the vet take a fecal w/ you 24 hr sample please -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/beware-of-vets-giving-enemas-to-your-dragon.252267/
I can try and help you as much as I can - if the dragon is eating on his own now thats good -- we need to make sure your UVB is good

PotsieShoomaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bless you for taking him on --- so I would get him on a staple diet of dubia roaches --- since he has MBD I would be dusting them every time you feed him the roaches lightly coated w/ calcium D3 - those I would feed 3 times / per week and you MUST have a long tube fixture UVB proper placed and distanced for the screen on the tank --- NO coils they are inadequate --- all long tube fixtures are not the same either --- I have 3 good ones I recommend please tell me what your using --- his basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- for the diet we need to get him on greens / salads -- are you syringe feeding him the ominvore ? that is some good stuff -- if you are you can make slurrys of greens blended in the blender w/ water -- if not you can use the roaches as lures to the salad bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
get them small so you can keep them in that bowl and he will get pieces of salad going after the roaches - have you tried hand feeding pieces of salad -- collard mustard turnip or kale are all good --- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
please lay off the meal worms and the wax worms --- wax worms are fatty and can cause liver issues -- please get him some super worms use as lures to the salad bowl 1-3 every couple of days also you can try silk worms they are another great staple feeder -- www.reptilianarts.com -- put those in the salads they stick to everything -- I am surprised hes not eating those salads as he was starved -- NO enemas at the vet take a fecal w/ you 24 hr sample please -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/beware-of-vets-giving-enemas-to-your-dragon.252267/
I can try and help you as much as I can - if the dragon is eating on his own now thats good -- we need to make sure your UVB is good
Thank you so much for the very detailed advice! He has a Reptisun UVA/UVB attached inside of his enclosure, not through mesh. I just purchased a digital temp gun and it looks like his temps are pretty much spot on. I also have a heat rock that I plug in at night because it gets a little cold here at night.
I have not been feeding him the omnivore diet since he's eating on his own now but I think I will start again as a supplement. Adding his greens to that is a great idea. I have tried hand feeding greens and he will not swallow them. I was also surprised that he is such a picky eater but he really just doesn't seem to consider anything edible if it isn't a moving worm. He actually won't really even eat out of his bowl unless I'm holding it near his face. Normally, I have to let them crawl past him until he notices. I'm wondering if his eyesight isn't great; something I'll mention to the vet tomorrow.
I will definitely try dubia roaches but I am not optimistic as they are more similar in appearance to BSFL than mealworms and he won't touch BSFL. Do you have any advice for getting him to try new bugs? I think since he was very little he has only had mealworms so he's not the most adventurous little eater... Maybe silk worms are my best bet
I'm reluctant to try superworms because I've heard they shouldn't get anything bigger than the distance between their eyes. His eyes are probably just under one inch apart; he is very small for his age.
The vet tested a fecal sample a few weeks ago and everything looked fine :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for the very detailed advice! He has a Reptisun UVA/UVB attached inside of his enclosure, not through mesh. I just purchased a digital temp gun and it looks like his temps are pretty much spot on. I also have a heat rock that I plug in at night because it gets a little cold here at night.
I have not been feeding him the omnivore diet since he's eating on his own now but I think I will start again as a supplement. Adding his greens to that is a great idea. I have tried hand feeding greens and he will not swallow them. I was also surprised that he is such a picky eater but he really just doesn't seem to consider anything edible if it isn't a moving worm. He actually won't really even eat out of his bowl unless I'm holding it near his face. Normally, I have to let them crawl past him until he notices. I'm wondering if his eyesight isn't great; something I'll mention to the vet tomorrow.
I will definitely try dubia roaches but I am not optimistic as they are more similar in appearance to BSFL than mealworms and he won't touch BSFL. Do you have any advice for getting him to try new bugs? I think since he was very little he has only had mealworms so he's not the most adventurous little eater... Maybe silk worms are my best bet
I'm reluctant to try superworms because I've heard they shouldn't get anything bigger than the distance between their eyes. His eyes are probably just under one inch apart; he is very small for his age.
The vet tested a fecal sample a few weeks ago and everything looked fine :)
Please get rid of the heat rock and get a ceramic heat emitter - heat rocks can cause burns and dragons heat from their backs- tank temps at night should be 65-75- please post a pic of the dragon- you can get medium super worms- he should be able to eat those- please tell me brand and bulb of the uvb

PotsieShoomaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the heat rock and get a ceramic heat emitter - heat rocks can cause burns and dragons heat from their backs- tank temps at night should be 65-75- please post a pic of the dragon- you can get medium super worms- he should be able to eat those- please tell me brand and bulb of the uvb
Here he is. The pic on paper towels is last month when I first got him right after his amputation. I think he's looking a little better. It is a Zoo Med Reptisun 10 High Output UVB. He gets stitches out tomorrow.

Attachments

• Beardie1.jpg
    Beardie1.jpg
    985.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Beardie2.jpg
    Beardie2.jpg
    961.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230222_135827.jpg
    20230222_135827.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here he is. The pic on paper towels is last month when I first got him right after his amputation. I think he's looking a little better. It is a Zoo Med Reptisun 10 High Output UVB. He gets stitches out tomorrow.
10.0 ? T 5 or a T 8 coil or a long tube fixture? Definitely have the eyes checked out --- NO enemas ---- please take a fecal w/ you they often end in disaster --- the screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? This will determine where the UVB goes