• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What lamp and accessories do you recommend?

ugeane

Bearded Dragon Egg
KA, nice tank setup! Where do you get your slated ceramic tiles from? I thought tree wood bark is good enough and won't produce too much dust. But I think tiles are alot easier to clean!

ugeane

Bearded Dragon Egg
They came from Home Depot-- $1.99 per tile --- they are great to keep clean and the smell dissipates very fast cleaned w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle 50/50-- there is a thick shop paper towel under the tiles to catch the runny urate /watery stuff ---- if you go w/ the tile DO NOT grout or seal - just lay them in there side by side of course they will need to be cut to the size of the tank w/ a tile cutter ---- some people have grouted or sealed them in and then regret it cuz you cant pull them once that is done -- makes it harder to keep clean --

KA, thanks for the tip! It will be wonderful to have slated tiles that has the desert, woody look to match the real environment where the dragon comes from. The paper towel below the tiles would also help to keep heat in the tank. Also have you tried carpet substrate that are washable? Place that underneath the tiles instead of paper towel.

ugeane

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nope carpet holds the smell where as you can get rid of the soiled paper towel and replace w/ a clean one getting rid of the smell --
Good point! Certainly helps if there is a deodorant for the tank. Maybe some kind of natural desert flower fragrance to keep smell at bay. But paper towel is easy.

ugeane

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good point! Certainly helps if there is a deodorant for the tank. Maybe some kind of natural desert flower fragrance to keep smell at bay. But paper towel is easy.

KA, how did you cut the tiles without going to the store to get a big bulky tool to do it? Just use a saw?

ugeane

Bearded Dragon Egg
Some of the home improvement stores will cut them for you for no charge - I had that done at Lowe's.

Wow, didn't know that! Great tip!

I noticed that your corner hideout is great for saving space in the tank, but there is a red carpet for that. Also the dry out branch, provides a nice perch for the dragon. Found yours in the woods nearby?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Wow, didn't know that! Great tip!

I noticed that your corner hideout is great for saving space in the tank, but there is a red carpet for that. Also the dry out branch, provides a nice perch for the dragon. Found yours in the woods nearby?
That's KA's tank, but for any wood, even storebought, I bake it in the oven to sanitize it. You can use "wild- caught" wood, just be aware of any unsafe kinds, and be sure to sanitize / dry thoroughly.

ugeane

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's KA's tank, but for any wood, even storebought, I bake it in the oven to sanitize it. You can use "wild- caught" wood, just be aware of any unsafe kinds, and be sure to sanitize / dry thoroughly.

Hi JJF, what's your oven setting for sanitizing wild caught wood? Temperature, mode, duration?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Hi JJF, what's your oven setting for sanitizing wild caught wood? Temperature, mode, duration?
Usually I bake at 300°F for 30 minutes to an hour, depending on if the wood is very thick or if it's wet (like if I scrubbed it with water/vinegar or F10 first). :0)

ugeane

Bearded Dragon Egg
Usually I bake at 300°F for 30 minutes to an hour, depending on if the wood is very thick or if it's wet (like if I scrubbed it with water/vinegar or F10 first). :0)

Great tip, I will probably soak the wood in vinegar then sun it for a couple of days. Then inspect the wood again to see if there are any critters.