• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is wrong with this baby Dragon

CrystalDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh boy where do I even start with this..
This poor little guy was given to me by someone who purchased him from a pet store. He had severe balance problems and would constantly flip sideways and often fall from his basking area. His appetite was fine though. I had him on a diet of dusted crickets and mustard greens (which he seemed to love).
I made sure he was well hydrated as well, because he seemed to be a bit dehydrated when I got him. I made sure all his temps where correct, and kept him on paper towel.

After about 3 weeks hes been getting worse and worse. He hasnt shed once since he arrived, and I can tell he hasnt grown at all.
He started refusing to eat his greens, then suddenly he went from eating 4-5 small crickets to only 1 a day. He wont chase after the crickets anymore either. I have to hold it up to him. And despite me making sure he drinks water, he still looks dehydrated.

It doesnt end there. I keep a close eye on him throughout the day, and notice he will just lay on his basking spot and keep his eyes closed. When I go to pick him up, he doesnt even react to it, but after a few minutes he'll put his head up for a moment and look around, but then will just close his eyes again. Sometimes it appears that hes not breathing.
I cant tell if hes still off balance, because he hardly ever moves.

I noticed his poop is very runny as well.

Ive kept bearded dragons before (but now I mostly keep cresties and snakes), but Ive never seen one like this. I'm doing all I can for him, and unfortunately there are no vets anywhere near me that will look at him.

I fear he wont make it.

Please dont ever buy any pets at a store. I keep telling people this.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
Buying reptiles from a store isn’t inherently bad. It sounds like the poor guy was either born with these issues or is developing MBD. Perhaps the previous owner didn’t have lighting?

Also 4-5 small crickets a day is nowhere near enough for a growing baby dragon. They should be having 20 minimum a day. Runny poop can mean parasites. It sounds like the poor guy could have a number of issues. I would say his best bet for having a happy life would be to make the drive to a reptile vet.

CrystalDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Buying reptiles from a store isn’t inherently bad. It sounds like the poor guy was either born with these issues or is developing MBD. Perhaps the previous owner didn’t have lighting?

Also 4-5 small crickets a day is nowhere near enough for a growing baby dragon. They should be having 20 minimum a day. Runny poop can mean parasites. It sounds like the poor guy could have a number of issues. I would say his best bet for having a happy life would be to make the drive to a reptile vet.
He is very tiny. The size of a hatchling. I should have mentioned that but forgot. Id say hes about 2 inches in length not including his tail.
And I've tried looking for a vet, but no one will look at him, which I've already said.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
He is very tiny. The size of a hatchling. I should have mentioned that but forgot. Id say hes about 2 inches in length not including his tail.
And I've tried looking for a vet, but no one will look at him, which I've already said.
Regardless of how big he is, baby dragons should have a large appetite.

What I was saying that you may need to make a long drive since it seems there is a moderate chance he won’t make it otherwise. From what you described he sounds very ill

Smawg

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My opinion, take it to a vet near you & put him down if you can not help him or know anyone who will help him. he shouldn't just sit around & have to suffer. take it back to the pet shop where they got him