• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is this black rot/bump on her back?!?!

Jason Hulbert

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was feeding my lizard and I can't understand what this was. I saw it just a few days ago and am worried that it could be cancer or bone rot or something bad. If anyone has ideas or knows please let me know.
IMG_2225.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2232.JPG

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, the problem with lumps like this is they can be anything from an infected insect bite to melenoma or cancerous tumor, they all look pretty similar. The only way to know is for a vet to do a biopsy. The sooner you can do this the better. It could be the case that surgery is needed, this can be pretty expensive so be prepared

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would take the sand out. Sand harbors bacteria, even if you meticulously pick the poop out each time, some of the liquids still seep through the sand. Plus there is dead vegetation that is broken down into the sand. I would recommend a vet check because this looks like some kind of bacterial infection. What does the underside of the dragon look like, especially around the vent?

If you have other bearded dragons or other lizards for that matter, make sure you don't handle them after you handle this one until you know what it is. Things spread fast among collections, even make sure you don't feed with the same tongs and if this one doesn't eat it's bugs, don't give them to another animal or put them back in with the rest of the bugs.

Jason Hulbert

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would take the sand out. Sand harbors bacteria, even if you meticulously pick the poop out each time, some of the liquids still seep through the sand. Plus there is dead vegetation that is broken down into the sand. I would recommend a vet check because this looks like some kind of bacterial infection. What does the underside of the dragon look like, especially around the vent?

If you have other bearded dragons or other lizards for that matter, make sure you don't handle them after you handle this one until you know what it is. Things spread fast among collections, even make sure you don't feed with the same tongs and if this one doesn't eat it's bugs, don't give them to another animal or put them back in with the rest of the bugs.

Ok so if I don't use sand anymore what should i use instead. B/c I know people you all diffrent things but I can't really figure out what works the best so any advice on that would be very appreciated. His belly is very clean and white looks very smooth and nothing that looks out of the normal that I could see.

Jason Hulbert

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, the problem with lumps like this is they can be anything from an infected insect bite to melenoma or cancerous tumor, they all look pretty similar. The only way to know is for a vet to do a biopsy. The sooner you can do this the better. It could be the case that surgery is needed, this can be pretty expensive so be prepared

What type of cost are you looking at for taking a tumor out or what is the cost about for the fix for an infection?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you take the sand out you can use slate tile, repti carpet, non adhesive self liner, excavator clay.

Where I am an office visit is around $60. They will probably do a skin scrape to see what it is and probably give you an anti fungal cream. Don’t let the thought that it’s a tumor and the price of possible surgery prevent you from taking it to the vet. It could be something that is easily treated without surgery.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Agreed with Patsy, take him in for a checkup and then take it from there. Antibiotics shouldnt cost too much if thats all that is needed

Jason Hulbert

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you take the sand out you can use slate tile, repti carpet, non adhesive self liner, excavator clay.

Where I am an office visit is around $60. They will probably do a skin scrape to see what it is and probably give you an anti fungal cream. Don’t let the thought that it’s a tumor and the price of possible surgery prevent you from taking it to the vet. It could be something that is easily treated without surgery.

Ok thank you very much I will keep this posted on the status.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You have gotten great info so far.. also looks like some retained shed around the bump...Here in WI office visit is $50

Leisl Seigler

Hatchling Dragon
In AL it’s $80...a lot of the cost just depends on how many exotic pet vets are in your area! Just go to their website and see if they have prices listed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk