• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is the best way to store BSFL?

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
BSFL always comes in what looks like sawdust or wheat bran, but it gets super moist and smelly fast. And it's a tedious pain trying to dig them out of the stuff, and then having to wash the sawdust/wheat bran off before feeding. Does anyone have a better and easier way of storing them? My little guy is nuts for them, and I can get them for pretty cheap, but it is such a chore preparing them for meals

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BSFL always comes in what looks like sawdust or wheat bran, but it gets super moist and smelly fast. And it's a tedious pain trying to dig them out of the stuff, and then having to wash the sawdust/wheat bran off before feeding. Does anyone have a better and easier way of storing them? My little guy is nuts for them, and I can get them for pretty cheap, but it is such a chore preparing them for meals
The ones that come from https://symtonbsf.com/ come in like a dirt-- and I am not sure if you can store them in something else -- where are you getting them from?

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
The ones that come from https://symtonbsf.com/ come in like a dirt-- and I am not sure if you can store them in something else -- where are you getting them from?
Maybe it is a dirt, lol. I don't know what it is, I should ask the seller, but it looks like a bran of some sort. I get them from a reputable seller online and their feeders are always healthy and clean. Their substrate probably gets moist fast because I put collard green stems in the cup to help fatten them up, and also make them crawl to the surface so it's easier to gather them. I just didn't know if I could store them in an easier substrate cause digging them out is a pain. I'm also nervous about my dragon eating some of the substrate that falls off the bsfl.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe it is a dirt, lol. I don't know what it is, I should ask the seller, but it looks like a bran of some sort. I get them from a reputable seller online and their feeders are always healthy and clean. Their substrate probably gets moist fast because I put collard green stems in the cup to help fatten them up, and also make them crawl to the surface so it's easier to gather them. I just didn't know if I could store them in an easier substrate cause digging them out is a pain. I'm also nervous about my dragon eating some of the substrate that falls off the bsfl.
ok so I wouldnt put collards in the bran anymore --- they usually come in a substance that is their food and symtonbsf always says to keep the dirt moist - as far as them stinking I never noticed from symtonbsf --- go to their website and look and go from there -- you can always email them and ask them questions or call them

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If u want to gut load them try putting a potato or carrot or other root vegetable in the container, greens just leech out moisture once they’re cut, broccoli is also another good one.