• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is my beardie doing?? Is it normal?

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Hey y’all so my beardie has been scratching and jumping on the glass everyday sometimes for 20 min straight. If anyone happens to know if this is normal that would be awesome thank you! I took a video but couldn’t figure out how to attach it
His UVB and lighting are all good that i know. His cage size is 67 gallon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey y’all so my beardie has been scratching and jumping on the glass everyday sometimes for 20 min straight. If anyone happens to know if this is normal that would be awesome thank you! I took a video but couldn’t figure out how to attach it
His UVB and lighting are all good that i know. His cage size is 67 gallon.
There are many reasons for this behavior but first we need to start w/ the surface basking temps-- and tank temps and how are your getting them-- next the uvb your using-- is it a coil or a long tube fixture-- are you using any colored bulbs? The tank size is good -- placement and distance is imperative to the uvb bulb--

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
There are many reasons for this behavior but first we need to start w/ the surface basking temps-- and tank temps and how are your getting them-- next the uvb your using-- is it a coil or a long tube fixture-- are you using any colored bulbs? The tank size is good -- placement and distance is imperative to the uvb bulb--
So actually you helped me setup his tank and lighting :) he has the 10.0 uvb bulb with the zoo-med fixture and it's at a proper distance and his heat lamp heats up his basking spot to 95°-100° His tank size is 67 gallon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So actually you helped me setup his tank and lighting :) he has the 10.0 uvb bulb with the zoo-med fixture and it's at a proper distance and his heat lamp heats up his basking spot to 95°-100° His tank size is 67 gallon.
So first thing I would do is get him off the floor --- a used dresser w/ drawers from you second hand store or a used furniture store are great for finding a dresser I found one for $40 works great for keeping the dragons stuff in - is he /she using the decor piece sitting in the middle of the tank? And is it directly under the UVB? Where is he sitting on the platform under the basking lamp? completely on top or down further? And then there is the size of the tank -- 67 is good and it could be the reason for the glass surfing- or could be spring fever mine does it in Feb for like weeks drives me nuts and hes in a 120 gallon tank - is he using the platform on the cool side of the tank? I guess I would get him off the floor first and see what kind of behavior you get ---- lets start w/ that and if he is still doing it - temps and UVB are good so thats out -- are you getting him out of the tank? there are so many variables to finding the cause of the behavior - it could simply be he just wants out -- so lets get him off the floor - usually a few hrs a day or every other getting him out of the tank will curb the glass surfing as well - thats what I do w/ Hiccup and it fixes the issue - 2 hrs and he quits -

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I definitely will workout putting him on a table thanx for pointing that out. He never uses the decoration in the middle he’s does chill on the cool side of the tank on the hide which is under the UVB but for prob less than 15 min a day if at all. By his basking rock he’s usually almost at the top or fully flat on top of the rock. This past month I’ve been putting a ramp by his cage so he can go up and down when he pleases instead of scratching for eternity. When the cage door is open he seems to be much more comfortable and calm stops scratching and might even go back to his rock almost like he’s satisfied I don’t know it weird but a lot of the times he runs out of the cage real quick . He also is only willing to eat his crickets and worms and sweet potato he refuses to touch the collard green,dandelion greens and kale (this has been since brumation never was an issue before)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I definitely will workout putting him on a table thanx for pointing that out. He never uses the decoration in the middle he’s does chill on the cool side of the tank on the hide which is under the UVB but for prob less than 15 min a day if at all. By his basking rock he’s usually almost at the top or fully flat on top of the rock. This past month I’ve been putting a ramp by his cage so he can go up and down when he pleases instead of scratching for eternity. When the cage door is open he seems to be much more comfortable and calm stops scratching and might even go back to his rock almost like he’s satisfied I don’t know it weird but a lot of the times he runs out of the cage real quick . He also is only willing to eat his crickets and worms and sweet potato he refuses to touch the collard green,dandelion greens and kale (this has been since brumation never was an issue before)
Try moving the flat platform on the cool side to directly under the uvb-- and take the middle decor piece out- see if he will bask under the uvb longer

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
My guy does this every time he wants to come out..which is more often than not. Lol..drives me nuts sometimes! But soon as he gets freedom..he runs around to play for about 2hrs before settling in "his corner" for a nap! Lol..they are so cute w/their own little personalities! I Would try taking him out more..does he come out everyday? Most love the exercise/play daily :)

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Try moving the flat platform on the cool side to directly under the uvb-- and take the middle decor piece out- see if he will bask under the uvb longer
ok I tried this for 2 days and he is the same. I just noticed this morning that he started to shed Around his lips and he also keeps going into his hide during the day. Does it make sense that the scratching was because he’s shedding? Also I’m working on making him a stand so I’ll see how that goes

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
My guy does this every time he wants to come out..which is more often than not. Lol..drives me nuts sometimes! But soon as he gets freedom..he runs around to play for about 2hrs before settling in "his corner" for a nap! Lol..they are so cute w/their own little personalities! I Would try taking him out more..does he come out everyday? Most love the exercise/play daily :)
So I used to take him out every 2 days or so for an hour or 2 but now after you and some other are saying he needs more play time I take him out for about an hour a day or more. But after he runs around for a bit he ALSO has “his corner” that he runs to for a quick nap! unfortunately it’s under my bed but he’s still cute ☺️ Thank you for your advice!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok I tried this for 2 days and he is the same. I just noticed this morning that he started to shed Around his lips and he also keeps going into his hide during the day. Does it make sense that the scratching was because he’s shedding? Also I’m working on making him a stand so I’ll see how that goes
The scratching was he rubbing up against the decor or was it him scratching the doors? It could be he's just wanting out and I would still get him off the floor too

Latest posts