• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is going on with my beardie's tail?

Ginger B

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently took in a bearded dragon from a family member that was going to get rid of him. I figured he would just be another reptile in the mass of unwanted ones on craigslist so he would probably be better off with me. I know a bit about bearded dragons from living around one a few years ago but I am re-educating myself on everything now that I am a full-time caretaker of my little buddy. I've been away at school though and his care hasn't really been up to me. Now that I'm back he is in shed and it looks like he might have some stuck shed on his tail. I'm super worried that it is tail rot and I don't know what to do. I've been giving him baths in warm water frequently to try and help him out.
Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 5.02.15 PM.png

In the photo you can see the dark middle part of his tail which is the normal color and the tip and the base I think are gray-ish as he is about to shed it. I really need any advice on what to do. Help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I recently took in a bearded dragon from a family member that was going to get rid of him. I figured he would just be another reptile in the mass of unwanted ones on craigslist so he would probably be better off with me. I know a bit about bearded dragons from living around one a few years ago but I am re-educating myself on everything now that I am a full-time caretaker of my little buddy. I've been away at school though and his care hasn't really been up to me. Now that I'm back he is in shed and it looks like he might have some stuck shed on his tail. I'm super worried that it is tail rot and I don't know what to do. I've been giving him baths in warm water frequently to try and help him out. View attachment 33899
In the photo you can see the dark middle part of his tail which is the normal color and the tip and the base I think are gray-ish as he is about to shed it. I really need any advice on what to do. Help!
That is some weird coloring - gonna have someone else take a look and get their advice on it

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I would take him into a vet. That looks like a topical condition that will need prescription strength ointments