• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is a 'German Giant'?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've heard a million conflicting stories on this subject and I would love to hear some opinions from the breeders here. On every site, people seem to be advertising that their dragons have this gene, but I've heard many other breeders say that it isn't possible anymore, or that the gene may be present but so diluted that it makes little genetic difference in the offspring. Is it size that really determines this (or can be used to verify it)?

I ask because the male we just got is 3 months and already 15" / 175 grams. His mother is 21" and over 600 grams, which is where we were told the GG gene comes from. I don't really care whether he is GG or not, since he's big and beautiful which is what we wanted, but I am curious about the GG gene and why so many say they have GG's but their dragons are no bigger than a normal sized one.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm just confused :-\

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are some German Giant bloodlines left but they are few and far between. I only personally know one person that has them and the females are over 26 inches long. Now as far as the people that post GG in their bloodlines (even i have fallen prey to this) normally do so cause they have a larger than normal and fast growing bloodline. Its not a true giant bloodline but they market it that way as it makes a customer take a little more notice of the animal. I do not know the true call signs for a giant but i do know that quite a few of the folks you see listing a animal as a giant really has little to no GG blood in their line. In my opinion these days especailly, the German Giant line should be listed the same way leucistics are, as a Marketed German Giant. As that is all it really boils down to is being a marketing term.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you, that is very helpful. May I ask who the breeder is with the 26"+ dragons?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it would be me.

My Giant line came directly from overseas stock in the 80's. We've kept the lines pure and haven't line or inbred them. it's a family hobby.
The females are the gigantimus of the bunch. 26 inches long, close to 1000 grams. They're docile in their way, but when they're givin cause to be aggressive, they are quite formidable. The males are usually between 24-25 inches long and weigh in around 850 grams.
the head on these animals is absolutely huge. Their shoulders and hips also show stoutness.

hatchlings emerge no less than 6 inches long, and are generally over 12 inches by the 6 week mark.

for reference, i have bred alot of crosses in order to add some strength and size to certian keepers colonies, so this particular line is out there somewhat.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That is amazing! Is there any possibility of getting a female from you in the future?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It wouldn't be for a year or so that I'd be ready, but that would be great. ;D I really like the bigger ones. I don't quite understand the popularity of the little Rankins ones.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lexi said:
I don't quite understand the popularity of the little Rankins ones.

All the thrills and spills of the bigger dragons in a small package lol. Plus they are communal given the adequate space (still only one male per enclosure though)

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Red Ink AUS said:
lexi said:
I don't quite understand the popularity of the little Rankins ones.

Plus they are communal given the adequate space (still only one male per enclosure though)

Really? That's kind of neat :) They just look so fragile to me... afraid I'd drop one of the little buggers (not that I make it a habit of dropping my big ones, lol - just sayin' ;) )

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All the thrills and spills of the bigger dragons in a small package

yup and just bubbley cute. My Rankins females all live together in a communal tank and do quite well together. Its set for each to have their own hot spot, their own climbing spots, their own hides. They're actually quite commical.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just bought a dragon from a breeder who claimed it to be from German Giant line. I know that it's been diluted, but the parents were pretty huge so I'm excited to see how my baby one will grow. :p The mother is upward of 830 grams, which is small by German Giant standards but still big by regular dragon standards, haha.

Sumo%20001%20(Small).jpg

There she is! The breeder didn't give me a length of the babies, but by the pictures alone they look about as big as Wrex was, and Wrex was about five months old. These guys were born a couple weeks ago. I don't really care if it's pure German Giant or not, I just want a big fat dragon who is healthy and not impacted with PetSmart sand. :(

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Although 830 grams is a big dragon, I am getting infor from people that bought my rhonda x dozer pairing last year that thier dragons are now at the 650 to 700 gram mark before they even hit thier 1st year birthday. Now I know there is no GG bloodline in Either of my breeders. So it is very possible to have a VERY large breeding pair without having GG lines

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am thinking that if they have a large dragon, breeders just say it's German Giant... my 'baby' is 18" and 350g at 5 months (hatched 10/21/09) so I'm sure he'll be a big boy! The breeder did say he had GG in him, but who really knows? I think he may just be larger than average size because I believe he was the only big one of the lot.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm not planning on breeding my little darling, so I doubt it'll ever matter much besides for perhaps bragging rights. And none of my friends know anything about bearded dragons, so I'm sure it won't matter if I tweak the truth a teensy bit and say that my little guy is a pureblood German Giant imported from Berlin. :D

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
valkryja said:
I'm not planning on breeding my little darling, so I doubt it'll ever matter much besides for perhaps bragging rights. And none of my friends know anything about bearded dragons, so I'm sure it won't matter if I tweak the truth a teensy bit and say that my little guy is a pureblood German Giant imported from Berlin. :D

I suppose you could, but I don't know why they'd be considered bragging rights anyway... if they know nothing about Dragons, why would they care? :p

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have heard that what people call the "German Giant" was originally created by breeding a Vitticeps with a Barbata. Is this true?

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Madisyn-Alexis said:
I suppose you could, but I don't know why they'd be considered bragging rights anyway... if they know nothing about Dragons, why would they care? :p

"Pureblood German Giant imported from Berlin" sounds fancier than "slightly obese lizard who's trying to be a German Giant but failing"

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
some people think that the german giant line was a barbata hybrid but based on information from australian keepers i honestly think the line was achieved by selectively breeding the largest vitticeps that were able to be found. from what i have heard the locality that is of the yellow color in oz are possibly the true ancestors of the german giant.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Commenting on Tom's post... He's got Rhonda.. I have Gemini. Gem has no gg, but he's a biiiig boy. 543 grams, 14 months old... and measured 21 1/2". And still growing larger..
Just hadda brag ... sorry !
Janie