• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What height?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
So my very handy hubby is going to make Jayne a melamine enclosure. We're going to build it to fit the table she's on, so 48"x20". I want it to be a solid top and mount her lights inside. So here are a few questions. First, would I still want her t5 bulb to be in a reflector hood, or would that be overkill? It'd be nice and easy to just mount her hood inside. Also, with the bulbs mounted inside, how tall should I make the enclosure? I was debating whether I'd want the front doors to slide on tracks or be hinged. Tracks may be simpler to build, but hinged would be nice to be able to open up the front all the way. Does anybody here have pros or cons with either?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Check out the Zoomed web site, they have a light chart with the distance that each bulb covers, that should help you decide how tall it should be.

There's a few things I don't like about melamine. One is that it's pressed wood, so once the high heat hits it, it could be somewhat toxic because of the materials used to hold it all together. I also think back to like desks and night stands and what not that aren't very forgiving, once you put a screw hole in over time it tends to chip away and even if you use anchors they loosen up easily. I would try to go with an actual wood, something not toxic to reptiles. That's just my opinion though. I know people have used melamine before and haven't had any issues (or at least talked about the issues they have).

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you for pointing that out! Would plywood have the same issues, since it’s also processed? Hmmm...I can look at solid wood, but that’ll make it a lot more expensive. I’ve heard people seal it with polyurethane. Is there a certain type that should be used?
I’ve looked at the PVC sheets, too, but they’re also pricey. Ok, back to the drawing board. And thanks for letting me know about the Zoomed site!

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Also, has anybody used Ecos Pet Dwelling paint? Would that be suitable to use, in place of polyurethane?
https://www.ecospaints.net/gloss-pet-dwellings-paint.html
I plan to use tile on the floor of the enclosure, so if she does a more wet poop, it won't be sitting directly on the paint. It's cold and windy outside here, and I think poly would take too long to set, if it ever did. I can't do it inside, as I have children with severe asthma.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I hate to say this but I don't really know about the plywood or the paint. As long as it's non toxic it should be okay. @BeardedHippy might know.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hi, I have never used that paint but others seem to rate it. Any non toxic paint should do the job though. All wooden vivariums that are sold commercially are made of melamine coated particle board, its actually super tough, hard wearing stuff, hence why it is used for kitchen counters. Unless it is bad quality cheap melamine it should be perfectly fine to use, even at high temperatures.
Plywood is good, but you will need to seal it and paint. As plywood (most woods in fact) heats up it will give off formaldehyde, so you will need to leave your lights on for a few days to let it offgas.

Whichever you use, make sure you put plenty of vents in, low down on the cool side to draw cool air in and high up on the hot side to vent the hot air, circulation is key to steady temps.
I would make the viv 2ft high and mount the lights inside. T5s will cover that height easily.

Good luck, let us know how it all goes.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much! I will pass all of this info on to my hubby. I’ll keep you guys posted. I appreciate the help!