• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What does this mean?

PrincessofMirkwood

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, this is my first beardie and I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I gave him a bath the morning of this picture and fed him some hours earlier. I spray him with water and feed him till he stops eating both twice every day. But for some reason inbetween meals sometimes he starts to get wrinkled like this and only on one side of his body. Im not sure why. I’m just worried about my baby. He is a leatherback if that’s a needed detail. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• AF05C218-C8BB-448D-857A-3772F77A0CE6.jpeg
    AF05C218-C8BB-448D-857A-3772F77A0CE6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, this is my first beardie and I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I gave him a bath the morning of this picture and fed him some hours earlier. I spray him with water and feed him till he stops eating both twice every day. But for some reason inbetween meals sometimes he starts to get wrinkled like this and only on one side of his body. Im not sure why. I’m just worried about my baby. He is a leatherback if that’s a needed detail. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Hes fine its just the way hes sitting ---- please make sure your surface basking temps are 105-110 for a baby 5 months or less and 95-100 for a juvie 6 months taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- and a good UVB please NO coils they are inadequate -- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb -- if you need any help please ask

PrincessofMirkwood

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes fine its just the way hes sitting ---- please make sure your surface basking temps are 105-110 for a baby 5 months or less and 95-100 for a juvie 6 months taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- and a good UVB please NO coils they are inadequate -- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb -- if you need any help please ask
This good?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most of the temperatures in the basking area are between 95 and 102 degrees.
The tank looks really nice --- we need to do some adjustments tho w/ the UVB -- first its a good bulb --- is it a T 5 or a T 8 please look on the bulb where it says Zoo Med look at the bottom of the writing -- next it needs to go into a hood / fixture- what is the length of the bulb -- it should say on the bulb -- is it a 22 inch bulb? Its skinny so I am thinking its a T 5 --- right now your UVB rays are bouncing all over the tank - it needs to be placed directly over him in a hood so those rays can be directed toward him -- look at a Zoo Med fixture / hood 24" if that bulb is a 22" -- next please get 2 digital probe thermometers - the infrared your using is inaccurate on the hammock -- your getting ambient temps I am thinking w/ that - you want surface basking temps -- 105-110 for a baby up to 5 months and over 5 to adult 95-100
Once I find out the bulb I can tell you distance

PrincessofMirkwood

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tank looks really nice --- we need to do some adjustments tho w/ the UVB -- first its a good bulb --- is it a T 5 or a T 8 please look on the bulb where it says Zoo Med look at the bottom of the writing -- next it needs to go into a hood / fixture- what is the length of the bulb -- it should say on the bulb -- is it a 22 inch bulb? Its skinny so I am thinking its a T 5 --- right now your UVB rays are bouncing all over the tank - it needs to be placed directly over him in a hood so those rays can be directed toward him -- look at a Zoo Med fixture / hood 24" if that bulb is a 22" -- next please get 2 digital probe thermometers - the infrared your using is inaccurate on the hammock -- your getting ambient temps I am thinking w/ that - you want surface basking temps -- 105-110 for a baby up to 5 months and over 5 to adult 95-100
Once I find out the bulb I can tell you distance

Attachments

• 0476F4A4-86C0-4717-A4D4-BF28C5CF7E4A.jpeg
    0476F4A4-86C0-4717-A4D4-BF28C5CF7E4A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • A435D096-E440-488E-AED8-879BA53221BD.jpeg
    A435D096-E440-488E-AED8-879BA53221BD.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 23

PrincessofMirkwood

Bearded Dragon Egg
All he does is bask all day, is this normal? Do you think it might be because the temperatures aren’t hot enough? How could I fix this? Should I move the hammock closer to the basking light?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All he does is bask all day, is this normal? Do you think it might be because the temperatures aren’t hot enough? How could I fix this? Should I move the hammock closer to the basking light?
Normal for them to bask all day at this age -- but before you do anything please get a digital probe thermometer and get a surface basking temp off the hammock - place the probe on the spot he sits to bask --- and please tell me what the bulb is for the UVB so I can help you get it properly distanced

PrincessofMirkwood

Bearded Dragon Egg
Normal for them to bask all day at this age -- but before you do anything please get a digital probe thermometer and get a surface basking temp off the hammock - place the probe on the spot he sits to bask --- and please tell me what the bulb is for the UVB so I can help you get it properly distanced

Attachments

• AC42707E-1276-4F2A-B428-1A54A2521081.jpeg
    AC42707E-1276-4F2A-B428-1A54A2521081.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 21
  • C4A17527-37BD-40C5-9E38-EA1930CD7B37.jpeg
    C4A17527-37BD-40C5-9E38-EA1930CD7B37.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 34

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok its a T 8 please upgrade the bulb to a 10.0 T 8 -- those need to be replaced every 6 months I recommend 5 -- but since you need a fixture I would buy the new fixture w/ the bulb you need -- here is a link for that
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb which is basically what you have now but you want this bulb
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
or you can look at Pet Smart for this fixture/ hood
24 watt https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood you want the 12% bulb
both are good fixtures and bulbs - Pet Smart has started carrying the Arcadia -
when you get it situated please post back on here and I will help you get it placed for your tank
the T 8 needs to be in the tank directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches-- the T 5 can sit on top BUT the screen will determine where it can go --

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
YES Basking all day is NORMAL. Most Important; Please make sure you are using the Proper UVB Light & all UVB Lights need replacing every "6" Mnths religiously. Its a long tubular bulb called the REPTISUN 10.0 T5, u can order on amazon or a specialty reptile store and the length u order should cover 70 Percent of the tank change the UVB long light every "6" Mnths or the dragon will suffer from MBD, brittle bones, unable to walk, eat or move and eventually death.