• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What could be the issue

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello my name is jennah and the little guy below is mufasa. I had him for about 3 years and he is probably almost 4. Now he has been flipping and rolling over. Not just out of random. But when he climbs on his rocks and stuff. I dont know if he is clumsy, or something is actually wrong. I just wanted another say to help. Before I got a vet involved.
21675f83a444000531e3890a27359c8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor guy. What does his set up look like? What's his basking temps?

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
He has just a basic set up right now. I'm adding more when I get a better tank. But it has a rock that he can also hid in, a log he can go under, and a heatingm pad on the other side. The heating bulb is at 100.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't know what a basic set up means. Hopefully it means basking light and tube UVB lighting. Hiding spots are good, the heating pad doesn't really help much because it just heats the glass. They can't feel heat on their belly and can easily burn themselves if they stay too long on a heating pad.

Flipping over is can be a sign of MBD, it can also be a sign of Atendovirus. I would get him to a vet for a full checkup.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Patsy, what size tank do you have? what food and supplements are you giving him? what is his poop like? What UVB are you using? Got any pics or video of him flipping over? I agree completely with Patsy you need to have him seen by a exotic vet asap for a full checkup to see why he's flipping/rolling over.. please keep us posted

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
The Uvb bulb is going to need replaced I'm getting that today. The banking bulb is basically new. His tank is I believe a 44 gallon it been a while. Supplements are iffy I am not sure what is best. Because he ignores it when I try giving him some. I do use calcium powder on some live food. Like his dubia roaches, I got Phoenix worms but those are nice in calcium so I put little to none on those.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I would suggest you buy a ceramic heating unit. It is like a bulb that screws into a regular lightbulb socket. It provides constant temperature but if you have a rheostat lamp switch you can test the tank temp and make sure it is warm enough but not too hot. I have the ceramic heater on all the time year round because we have AC and even though it is summer 72 degrees isn't warm enough for a dragon. Also the basking bulb does have heat, but its main function is to provide UV light.
GET RID OF THE HEATING PAD!! My son worked for a herpetologist and they frequently saw lizards with nasty burns from heat rocks and heating pads.
I would suggest you do see a vet. My dragon has a variety of rocks and climbing bark in her cage and I've never seen her flip over or fall. She is opposite e my chair and I can see her at all times. The flipping sounds like an equilibrium problem

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
His heating pad has a blaketk and such on top of it so he only gets heat and not so much. But yeah I will get rid of it. He seemed pretty chill and laid back his whole life. So when this happened it was like a out of the blue thing. His eating habits haven't changed, he gets a little pep in his step when he sees live food. Veggies and fruit dont phase him really. He will eat some but not a lot.

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
He does like to hide and sleep. But everytime he did that he was starting to shed so I just let him do his thing. I just feel bad for the little dude. Like I did him wrong.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What I would do is try and get his flipping over on video and show your vet it..it be very helpful to figure out if it is a calcium issue, a neurological issue, atendovirus

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah true, he doesnt do it a lot thankfully. But it is every once in a while. I'll just keep a look out.

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you think he would be ok without a basking bulb and just the uvb bulb? The basking one broke today and I get paid Friday.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He really needs the basking bulb to digest his food. You could use a household bulb that gives off heat and see if that gets your temps to where they need to be.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They require a basking bulb (like what patsy said you can use a household one) AND the UVB to properly digest and absorb the nutrients from their food.

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
He really needs the basking bulb to digest his food. You could use a household bulb that gives off heat and see if that gets your temps to where they need to be.
What kind of bulb all the ones I find don't give off much heat so how will I know if it will be enough to heat a 44 ish tank

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's trial and error with basking bulbs. I always started with the highest watt and then went down from there. I actually keep multiple watts on hand because in the winter I need a higher one and in the summer I need a lower one.

Par 38 halogen bulbs are the best ones to use if you aren't using reptile basking bulbs.