• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are these?

squarenutt

Bearded Dragon Egg
We found a bearded dragon in my inlaws back yard last fall. She eats only dubia, soldier fly larva, mixxed greens, fruit,and dandelion. We have never fed her meal worms.
What am I seeing in this poop?

Attachments

• 20230510_174709.jpg
    20230510_174709.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We found a bearded dragon in my inlaws back yard last fall. She eats only dubia, soldier fly larva, mixxed greens, fruit,and dandelion. We have never fed her meal worms.
What am I seeing in this poop?
Looks like undigested bugs looks like roaches ---- please tell me what your surfacing basking temps are those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- they are the most accurate --- temps should be 95-100 for an adult dragon --- UVB? coil or a long tube fixture -- coils are inadequate and will / can cause all kinds of health issues --

squarenutt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks like undigested bugs looks like roaches ---- please tell me what your surfacing basking temps are those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- they are the most accurate --- temps should be 95-100 for an adult dragon --- UVB? coil or a long tube fixture -- coils are inadequate and will / can cause all kinds of health issues --
Thank you for the reply. Basking surfaces are right at 95. There are two incandescent lamps, one visible and one infrared only. The visible bulb gets turned off at night with the uvb tube. The uvb is a long tube and new. I forget it's exact spectrum.

The worms I'm seeing look more like meal worms to me. Is it possible they're left over from her old life 9 months ago? She's a fat and happy girl. I can't imagine she was outside for too long before we found her.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the reply. Basking surfaces are right at 95. There are two incandescent lamps, one visible and one infrared only. The visible bulb gets turned off at night with the uvb tube. The uvb is a long tube and new. I forget it's exact spectrum.

The worms I'm seeing look more like meal worms to me. Is it possible they're left over from her old life 9 months ago? She's a fat and happy girl. I can't imagine she was outside for too long before we found her.
The infrared bulb is colored? If so please get rid of it - dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads colored bulbs distort their vision and long term use will cause eye damage- basking bulbs should be a solid clear bright white bulb that keep temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- undigested bugs are caused by improper basking temps-- please look on the long tube bulb it will tell you brand and bulb-- these bulbs have certain placement and distance - your screen will determine where it goes- how old is the bulb?

squarenutt

Bearded Dragon Egg
The infrared bulb is colored? If so please get rid of it - dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads colored bulbs distort their vision and long term use will cause eye damage- basking bulbs should be a solid clear bright white bulb that keep temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- undigested bugs are caused by improper basking temps-- please look on the long tube bulb it will tell you brand and bulb-- these bulbs have certain placement and distance - your screen will determine where it goes- how old is the
There are three "bulbs"
1. 22" reptisun UVB/UVA 24W "tube"
2. Screw in incandescent heat lamp/ visible light when on.
3. Screw in heat "lamp" non visible when on. This one stays on at night.
Basking surfaces about 95°
Other end of enclosure stays about 85°

About the poop... Do you recognize the worms as any kind of parasite? They do not have legs, they have hairs like intestinal worms. At first glance they look like meal worms. We have never given her meal worms.

Attachments

• 20230510_174709.jpg
    20230510_174709.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 22

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are three "bulbs"
1. 22" reptisun UVB/UVA 24W "tube"
2. Screw in incandescent heat lamp/ visible light when on.
3. Screw in heat "lamp" non visible when on. This one stays on at night.
Basking surfaces about 95°
Other end of enclosure stays about 85°

About the poop... Do you recognize the worms as any kind of parasite? They do not have legs, they have hairs like intestinal worms. At first glance they look like meal worms. We have never given her meal worms.
Did she poop those out? And no I will get some help on this- uvb is good it should be inside the tank for a fine screen mesh 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - the other bulbs are good you want night time temps 65-75 and dark-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok this was one response I got back from one person --
They were expelled with the poop? If so, my guess is probably undigested black solider fly larvae. Otherwise they may be some kind of larvae that was outside and came to feed. The parasites I know of are microscopic and wouldn't show up so large/visible.
I guess we are both asking if she pooped them out --

squarenutt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok this was one response I got back from one person --
They were expelled with the poop? If so, my guess is probably undigested black solider fly larvae. Otherwise they may be some kind of larvae that was outside and came to feed. The parasites I know of are microscopic and wouldn't show up so large/visible.
I guess we are both asking if she pooped them out --
She did poop them out. I was letting her eat a dandelion in the front yard. We don't fertilize or spray. My dog rolling in the poop is what alerted me to it. Those worms are much longer than the soldier fly larva we get. They're almost exactly the same size as a mealworm.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She did poop them out. I was letting her eat a dandelion in the front yard. We don't fertilize or spray. My dog rolling in the poop is what alerted me to it. Those worms are much longer than the soldier fly larva we get. They're almost exactly the same size as a mealworm.
I would take that to the vet if you still have it the poop-- I have never seen anything like that before- hers a website to find a reptile vet if you live in a small area / town type in a bigger cities zip code www.arav.org
Please no enemas!! They often end in disaster going to let the person I reached out about her pooping those out

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had another person look and this is what he has said
If they were outside then it may be some kind of grub or pupa that was eaten and not digested.

squarenutt

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had another person look and this is what he has said
If they were outside then it may be some kind of grub or pupa that was eaten and not digested.
Thank you, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll keep an eye on things and see if they show up again.