• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Well that’s cool

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
I redid Sammys tank last weekend. Spent hours rebuilding it. She absolutely hated it and would not move. She seemed ok at first but then was not. So the next day I took it all out and just gave her new pieces on the bottom rather than giving her 2 stories. She actually explored a lot and was active. But then was upset the next 3 days. She still kinda is but is getting adjusted. I bought these cool ledges for her to climb on. Magnaturals. I’m kinda impressed with them. I thought they look really cool. I was not expecting foam, but still cool. Sammy is not amused yet. She just sits there glaring at them lol they are a decent size too. Hoping she likes them! Now I just have a climbing branch coming for her that I hope works out. These guys are so funny when you change things. They are NOT a go with the flow kinda dragon and are good at being peeved and giving the stink eye. Lol!

Attachments

• 42C35DFD-51C9-4496-8A86-0066196CC7AE.jpeg
    42C35DFD-51C9-4496-8A86-0066196CC7AE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I redid Sammys tank last weekend. Spent hours rebuilding it. She absolutely hated it and would not move. She seemed ok at first but then was not. So the next day I took it all out and just gave her new pieces on the bottom rather than giving her 2 stories. She actually explored a lot and was active. But then was upset the next 3 days. She still kinda is but is getting adjusted. I bought these cool ledges for her to climb on. Magnaturals. I’m kinda impressed with them. I thought they look really cool. I was not expecting foam, but still cool. Sammy is not amused yet. She just sits there glaring at them lol they are a decent size too. Hoping she likes them! Now I just have a climbing branch coming for her that I hope works out. These guys are so funny when you change things. They are NOT a go with the flow kinda dragon and are good at being peeved and giving the stink eye. Lol!
Wow, that looks so cool. I like your set up. I especially like the little shelves (even though Sammy apparently doesn’t lol) Thinking I may get one for Dex. Do they just suction onto the tank?

Dex is the same way if I change anything around in his tank. Actually, he gets that way every time I do his deep clean even though I put his things back in the same place. Lol ‘Course his little hollow he sleeps in is gone (new clay) and he stops often to give me that same stink eye while he’s digging himself a new one. Hahahaha

A few months ago I added a little plant on top of a rock (fake of course, but so cute) to the corner of his tank. For several days he sat and stared at it like it was going to jump out and eat him. Once he realized it didn’t move he went over and proceeded to shred it. Pulled out all the little pieces so there was only the rock and base of the plant left. Scattered the plant pieces around his tank. I had a mess to clean up. Guess he didn’t like it.

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Wow, that looks so cool. I like your set up. I especially like the little shelves (even though Sammy apparently doesn’t lol) Thinking I may get one for Dex. Do they just suction onto the tank?

Dex is the same way if I change anything around in his tank. Actually, he gets that way every time I do his deep clean even though I put his things back in the same place. Lol ‘Course his little hollow he sleeps in is gone (new clay) and he stops often to give me that same stink eye while he’s digging himself a new one. Hahahaha

A few months ago I added a little plant on top of a rock (fake of course, but so cute) to the corner of his tank. For several days he sat and stared at it like it was going to jump out and eat him. Once he realized it didn’t move he went over and proceeded to shred it. Pulled out all the little pieces so there was only the rock and base of the plant left. Scattered the plant pieces around his tank. I had a mess to clean up. Guess he didn’t like it.
They are magnetic! Really strong magnetics that are supposed to be guaranteed for life. Found them at joshes frogs fairly inexpensive. I hope she decides she likes em but pretty sure she’s angry at me for switching her up so much. She FINALLY looks at me when I talk to her. 3 days she would look past me and not blink or tip her head. Silly dragon! Now she listens to me. Such children right?!

Aw poor Dex! Hehe. It’s worse for him because he had to put in so much work time and effort to get his hole JUST right. That is too funny! How often do you have to change out the clay? What do you like and dislike about it?

wow! He’s showing you who’s boss and he will not be taking care of any plants bahaha. He sounds so full of personality!

TinySmaugOfficial

Hatchling Dragon
Try not to move things around to much, it can stress them out and lead to problems, and moving/inserting multiple things in succession like you’ve been doing is probably not good for her at all.

iris123

Juvenile Dragon

cool my beardie is competely different i can't have fake plants in his cage unless its fake grass because he would try eating it because i have a live elephant bush plant in a birch log planter i made myself he likes eating the elephant bush[did my reasearch its safe for him] anyway he like to taste test anything green exept grass so when i take him out for walks in the summer i have to be careful of what he eats

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
They are magnetic! Really strong magnetics that are supposed to be guaranteed for life. Found them at joshes frogs fairly inexpensive. I hope she decides she likes em but pretty sure she’s angry at me for switching her up so much. She FINALLY looks at me when I talk to her. 3 days she would look past me and not blink or tip her head. Silly dragon! Now she listens to me. Such children right?!

Aw poor Dex! Hehe. It’s worse for him because he had to put in so much work time and effort to get his hole JUST right. That is too funny! How often do you have to change out the clay? What do you like and dislike about it?

wow! He’s showing you who’s boss and he will not be taking care of any plants bahaha. He sounds so full of personality!
i have the same substate and the only thing i don't like about the clay is that once it dries it may leave little bits and chuncks of clay that i vaccume up and also when smaug's poop has what i guess is lquid pee it sinks into the clay which makes it hard to spot clean

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Try not to move things around to much, it can stress them out and lead to problems, and moving/inserting multiple things in succession like you’ve been doing is probably not good for her at all.
I don’t normally but her tank HAD to be redone as she’s getting bigger she was too close to her bulb and was trying to hang off the ledge.

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
She is a happy camper now!

Attachments

• F45AAAC9-C15D-46EA-8936-5919A26344E6.jpeg
    F45AAAC9-C15D-46EA-8936-5919A26344E6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
i have the same substate and the only thing i don't like about the clay is that once it dries it may leave little bits and chuncks of clay that i vaccume up and also when smaug's poop has what i guess is lquid pee it sinks into the clay which makes it hard to spot clean
I could see that being an issue. Does it mostly get compacted and smooth? I like the looks of clay but also wondered about how easy it would be to actually keep clean. Thanks for that info!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Ooo I'll have to go look at them. I have an account with Josh Frog's. Thanks for the tip. He'll be moving to a bigger tank soon, so that will be the perfect time to install one or two. I'm moving most of his current deco into his new tank just to keep his stress from the tank change down, but think I like that shelving.

Hahahaha, they have such personalities. I've learned that Dex likes his things just where they are and if I move anything I get the same treatment as Sammy gives you. After the plant incident I haven't added anything else to his tank. lololol He'd just destroy it probably. Aside from giving me the stink eye, he doesn't get too upset with his bed being redone every 3 months, as he enjoys digging so it gives him something to do. Often he'll dig and adjust before his lights go out each night anyway.

I change up his clay completely about every 3 months. In between I may scope out just the section he regularly uses as his poo area and just replace that portion. It's pretty easy to keep clean, especially as Dex has one area he uses as his bathroom. :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks, TinySmaug. Peeps here warned me of that, too. His current deco doesn't change and goes back into the same places after cleaning. I haven't added anything new since the plant. Which he let me know in no uncertain terms he didn't like. lolol I'm thinking I'll get the shelving for his bigger tank as he'll go through an adjustment phase anyway.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
cool my beardie is competely different i can't have fake plants in his cage unless its fake grass because he would try eating it because i have a live elephant bush plant in a birch log planter i made myself he likes eating the elephant bush[did my reasearch its safe for him] anyway he like to taste test anything green exept grass so when i take him out for walks in the summer i have to be careful of what he eats
That's pretty neat that you have live plants. I didn't go that route as I figured it would be more work keeping plants alive, plus tending Dex. Glad to hear you've had success.

Yeah, Dex hasn't had much opportunity to get outside. When he was big enough for his harness it was too cold. Snowing here this morning. Blah! What time he did get to spend outside before winter hit was on my shoulder or me holding him. I didn't dare put him down. When he's able to go out in spring, I'll have to keep an eye on him as he's an explorer and licks everything.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah, I've noticed that and tend to add just a tad bit more water to the mixture. Keeps the smaller clumps down. The bigger clumps I pick up and discard after he's dug his little hole.

I find it very easy to keep clean. I have a metal spoon that I use to scoop up his poo and it does a good job of getting a layer under. 'Course he poos about the same time each day and I'm able to scoop up not too long after he does his business. Then I just take a bit of the clay he's dug around and fill in the scoop I created, wash the spoon and am ready for the next one. It helps that Dex has 1 spot he does his business in, too. Makes clean up a lot easier.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
besides the few crumbs it's pretty smooth
The only place I tend to have the bigger clumps is where he digs. Dex'll sometimes pull up bigger pieces when he's digging. I just grab them out remix with a bit of water and place them back into areas that he doesn't dig in.