• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird string thing connected to poop following enema

Vyeriss

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie is four years old, and about a week or two ago he started to pace around his tank and seemed to have trouble using the bathroom. I took him to the vet and he was given an enema where a lot of material came out, so we thought he was fine.
A week later he has not eaten and has started pacing again. He pooped a very small amount and THIS was attached. Whatever it is would not break down with water. Is this normal??
PLEASE let me know what this is.

Attachments

• EF23F03B-4856-44A6-B900-FD075B6C0BAC.jpeg
    EF23F03B-4856-44A6-B900-FD075B6C0BAC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie is four years old, and about a week or two ago he started to pace around his tank and seemed to have trouble using the bathroom. I took him to the vet and he was given an enema where a lot of material came out, so we thought he was fine.
A week later he has not eaten and has started pacing again. He pooped a very small amount and THIS was attached. Whatever it is would not break down with water. Is this normal??
No but I will see what I can find out --

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
have no clue but other than this foreign thing coming out of its body, any other signs of distress? black bearding/lethargic/not eating?

Vyeriss

Bearded Dragon Egg
have no clue but other than this foreign thing coming out of its body, any other signs of distress? black bearding/lethargic/not eating?
He hasn’t eaten since last Tuesday when he had his enema at the vet. He’s restless sometimes, runs around his tank and goes black.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Did u already throw it away? If not freeze it keep it, that looks way too long to be a sperm plug? A male beardies hemipenes are in the base of their tail so it really shouldn’t be longer than an inch , i think, ive only had other lizards that are male , never a boy beardie.

Vyeriss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Did u already throw it away? If not freeze it keep it, that looks way too long to be a sperm plug? A male beardies hemipenes are in the base of their tail so it really shouldn’t be longer than an inch , i think, ive only had other lizards that are male , never a boy beardie.
I sadly threw it away :-/ but i’m hoping the photo will be okay for the vet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He hasn’t eaten since last Tuesday when he had his enema at the vet. He’s restless sometimes, runs around his tank and goes black.
Goes black? His beard his whole body? Enemas are not good for dragons--- please read this
I am still waiting to hear back from someone who might know what that is --

Vyeriss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Goes black? His beard his whole body? Enemas are not good for dragons--- please read this
I am still waiting to hear back from someone who might know what that is --
His beard. He just seems like he gets restless for a moment, then goes back to normal. Also, enema might not be the correct term. He was flushed with mineral oil, but I don’t know exactly how the procedure went.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His beard. He just seems like he gets restless for a moment, then goes back to normal. Also, enema might not be the correct term. He was flushed with mineral oil, but I don’t know exactly how the procedure went.
So its been a week since he ate last? Was he eating before he went to the vet and what was he eating? What about pooping now - what has that been like in the past week -- you need to keep him hydrated -- they wont eat if they are not hydrated

Vyeriss

Bearded Dragon Egg
So its been a week since he ate last? Was he eating before he went to the vet and what was he eating? What about pooping now - what has that been like in the past week -- you need to keep him hydrated -- they wont eat if they are not hydrated
He’s pooped once since the vet and it was yesterday, the poop that had the image attached in it, 6 days after the flush. He hasn’t eaten since a few days before the vet visit last Tuesday. He is on a diet of collard greens and super worms, but doesn’t eat daily. He likely is dehydrated, he doesn’t drink and since he hasn’t eaten his greens, he’s not getting water from then either.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He’s pooped once since the vet and it was yesterday, the poop that had the image attached in it, 6 days after the flush. He hasn’t eaten since a few days before the vet visit last Tuesday. He is on a diet of collard greens and super worms, but doesn’t eat daily. He likely is dehydrated, he doesn’t drink and since he hasn’t eaten his greens, he’s not getting water from then either.
Let's go over your basking temps--- what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- uvb is it a long tube fixture or a coil? We need to rule this out for cause of not eating - it is possible he is upset about the vet visit- but he should be eating by now-- dehydration will also cause him not to eat-- try dropping water on his nose to see if he will lick- improper lighting and temps will also cause lack of eating so we need to start narrowing down the cause

Vyeriss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Let's go over your basking temps--- what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- uvb is it a long tube fixture or a coil? We need to rule this out for cause of not eating - it is possible he is upset about the vet visit- but he should be eating by now-- dehydration will also cause him not to eat-- try dropping water on his nose to see if he will lick- improper lighting and temps will also cause lack of eating so we need to start narrowing down the cause
I’ve kept his lighting mostly the same for years and he’s been fine. I don’t currently have a temperature probe but will look into one. My UVB light is a coil bulb in a normal light hood—He often lays under it at night. I turn his heat off every day at the same time but leave the UVB, is that okay? I gave him some water via the syringe i was giving him antibiotics with (cleaned it) and got some down, but he still won’t drink from the bowl. I had to open his mouth to make him eat greens, but after a while he began to refuse. He still follows worms for a moment but then turns away and seems uninterested.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ve kept his lighting mostly the same for years and he’s been fine. I don’t currently have a temperature probe but will look into one. My UVB light is a coil bulb in a normal light hood—He often lays under it at night. I turn his heat off every day at the same time but leave the UVB, is that okay? I gave him some water via the syringe i was giving him antibiotics with (cleaned it) and got some down, but he still won’t drink from the bowl. I had to open his mouth to make him eat greens, but after a while he began to refuse. He still follows worms for a moment but then turns away and seems uninterested.
Please get rid of the coil ASAP-- you are now begining to have health issues- what coil are you using please- I recommend you get a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a 40+ gallon tank--- coils are No good I just cannot stress this enough--- the UVB and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank- to be honest I am surprised he's not showing signs of mbd- I can post more information on them tomorrow- the issues your having w/ the poop is part of his lack of UVB of which coils do not provide- there should be no lights on at nite--- dragons like cool and dark -- photo period should be 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off

Vyeriss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the coil ASAP-- you are now begining to have health issues- what coil are you using please- I recommend you get a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a 40+ gallon tank--- coils are No good I just cannot stress this enough--- the UVB and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank- to be honest I am surprised he's not showing signs of mbd- I can post more information on them tomorrow- the issues your having w/ the poop is part of his lack of UVB of which coils do not provide- there should be no lights on at nite--- dragons like cool and dark -- photo period should be 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off
ED854FEE-2B58-4072-9CB1-F0F053849DB5.jpeg
This is the light I’ve been using. I used to have one of the expensive long fixtures but it shorted and I got this, so I never thought to replace it.
Also just a side question. Is “Fluker’s Buffet Blend” something safe that you think I could use to try and stimulate his appetite? Maybe he’s bored of the food he’s been eating for so long..But i don’t know if it’s any good for him. Of course, this wouldn’t be his main diet. I’ll attach an image of the food as well as the bulb.
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 26736This is the light I’ve been using. I used to have one of the expensive long fixtures but it shorted and I got this, so I never thought to replace it.
Also just a side question. Is “Fluker’s Buffet Blend” something safe that you think I could use to try and stimulate his appetite? Maybe he’s bored of the food he’s been eating for so long..But i don’t know if it’s any good for him. Of course, this wouldn’t be his main diet. I’ll attach an image of the food as well as the bulb. View attachment 26737
Please get rid of the coil--- this bulb is the worst - go back to your long tube fixture if you need help please ask-- the buffet dried stuff is yucky- please stick w/ fresh salads everyday and live insects and worms- I will post websites for you tomorrow and iam hoping to hear from the person I emailed about the string stuff- but fir now concentrate on getting the UVB replaced and basking temps they are the most important right now - everything else will fall into place after that is corrected

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I sadly threw it away :-/ but i’m hoping the photo will be okay for the vet.
I heard back from the person who is pretty experienced w/ things like this and she said this

Sorry I took so long to get back ! I'm not sure but it looks like a tapeworm possibly.
Tell that person to take that to the vet to identify it , they will know what to do if it is.

If he poops another one out please get it to the vet

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back from the person who is pretty experienced w/ things like this and she said this

Sorry I took so long to get back ! I'm not sure but it looks like a tapeworm possibly.
Tell that person to take that to the vet to identify it , they will know what to do if it is.

If he poops another one out please get it to the vet
Im no expert , but arnt tape worms flat usually? Iand if it was a tape worm wouldn’t it being out a good thing? (Tape worms can sometimes segment their body off and the head remains attached and a new body grows) thats all i know, just curious.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im no expert , but arnt tape worms flat usually? Iand if it was a tape worm wouldn’t it being out a good thing? (Tape worms can sometimes segment their body off and the head remains attached and a new body grows) thats all i know, just curious.
Yeah I really don't know either-- this was a guess she wasn't sure either-- the op needs to collect it if another one appears and take it in - how would a dragon get a tape worm to begin with? I thought at first it was grass

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah I really don't know either-- this was a guess she wasn't sure either-- the op needs to collect it if another one appears and take it in - how would a dragon get a tape worm to begin with? I thought at first it was grass
I’m not an expert either but if tapeworm then wouldn’t the dragon be hungry to feed this thing ..... yuck. Indicates dragon hasn’t eaten since last Tuesday