• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird Lumps on Underside of Bearded Dragon?

Lookout&Leura

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

I am new to bearded dragon forums but not to the lizards themselves (I have Lookout, a 10.5 yr/o Male and Leura, a 5.5 yr/o Female). Anyway, this post is about Lookout.

Just yesterday I noticed hard lumps on his lower right abdomen. There are two, connected. The whole mass is an inch long and seems bound to the skin (in other words, you can't move it). He doesn't seem irritated at all by it (no change in behavior, feeding, and doesn't even mind if I touch it).

What do you guys think this is, and what should I do about it? Admittedly I am starting to get a bit worried given his age...
Lookout_Lumps_1.jpg

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, it does look nasty. As it doesnt move there is a good chance it could be a tumor, but that is just a guess. The only way to be sure is to have a biopsy done at your vets. Sorry I cant be more help

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum..I would have to agree about possible tumor now is it a fatty tumor or a not so nice tumor that's another question. And with his age it is more likely for a tumor.. A vet check would be my suggestion, please keep us posted

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with the others. Set up a vet visit and go from there.

Lookout&Leura

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, I just got back from the vet (45 min. away but TOTALLY worth it since this place ONLY sees exotics!)

General Check-up stuff: He's doing well, only thing to mention is a little bit of muscle loss (which is unavoidable given that he's almost 11)

As for the lump:
Got a biopsy, results will come between Mon and Wed.

Lookout got PISSED!! The last time I saw him that angry was 8 YEARS ago... At least it made his color pop out (he's a beautiful sandfire!)

First picture is at the start of the visit, second two are after!
IMG_7690-1.jpg
IMG_7702.jpg
MAD.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OOOOHHHHH my he is PISSED poor fella but it is for his own good to get it all checked out especially with our older dragons.. I'm glad that they got a biopsy of the lumps and I will keep my fingers crossed that they are nothing to worry about...
Otherwise glad the visit went well!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor baby :( glad he's back to normal now. Let us know what they say about the lump.

Lookout&Leura

Bearded Dragon Egg
Guys,

I've got news. It's cancer. Spindle Cell Sarcoma to be exact (actually quite a rare cancer). Given how old he is bloodwork will have to be done to see if he can even survive the surgery. If so, they'll have to see if it's metastasized yet, and if so...
There's nothing we can do.
If it HASN'T metastasized yet...
then it could be removed by surgery.

Wish Lookie the best!

Aerries

Hatchling Dragon
Guys,

I've got news. It's cancer. Spindle Cell Sarcoma to be exact (actually quite a rare cancer). Given how old he is bloodwork will have to be done to see if he can even survive the surgery. If so, they'll have to see if it's metastasized yet, and if so...

Wish Lookie the best!
I’m so sorry, I hope things turn around, gotta keep in mind the quality of life. Poor little guy, my thoughts are with you guys! ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Guys,

Wish Lookie the best!
Oh CRAP!! I'm soo sorry about that news I was really hoping that it was fatty tumors but with his age that's always a possibility.. I will keep my fingers crossed that it has NOT metastasized...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm so sorry, I thought I replied to this the other day :(

*Hugs* I know that this isn't the news that you wanted to hear. I hope it's not metastasized and you will get to have some more time with him. Like Aerries said, before considering surgery, weigh all the pros and cons and think about what his quality of life will be after the surgery.

Enjoy all the time you have with him.

Lookout&Leura

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, thank you all so much. It is really tough...

Life without him is almost unimaginable (he's lived in my room for the past 11 years!) so that almost every morning the first thing I see is him... I can't even think of when that won't be the case...

Yes, and a major factor will be the results of bloodwork. Unfortunately, he might be too old/weak to even have surgery. I think the vets said he'll have another 3 months with us before he passes on (as luckily his cancer is slow growing).

I'm just trying to help him enjoy this spring!!!