• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waxworms - Baby Bearded Dragon

landon ✰

Hatchling Dragon
Hi,

Can my baby bearded dragon eat waxworms? If so, are they a staple, or occasionally fed?

Thank you.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

Can my baby bearded dragon eat waxworms? If so, are they a staple, or occasionally fed?

Thank you.
Wax worms are very fatty --- too many and long term use can cause liver damage I would stay away from them or feed sparingly -- a good staple feeder is crickets dubia roaches BSFL for babies they are great and are a good compliment to your other staple feeder as they are very small but a good source for calcium do not dust them and silk worms-- the silks are hard to find now that are small but a good staple feeder -- if you need websites for any of these please ask - pet stores are expensive and its best to get on line -- also meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs so I would stay away from them as well - you can feed small super worms but I would feed them only twice a week or so -- you should be feeding salads every day -- you can use your BSFL to lure him to the bowl along w / the small super worms -

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm a big fan of feeding variety and there's no reason a small amount of wax worms can't work their way into your beardie's diet. I think variety ensures better overall nutrition and also makes your job easier if you can't get your beardie's favorite food (esp during covid!)

Salvatorethebeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Waxworms are REALLY fatty so as long as u are only feeding them a couple times a week to ur beardie he will be just fine! But I use BSFL and they are really good for tyem+my bearded dragon LOVES them. Its his fav food but with those you have to watch how fast they eat them because i have had problems with them coming out undigested in poop:(