• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wanting a bearded dragon... But have some questions first.

Sarah Vander Wilt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all, I would like a bearded dragon and have been doing research, but as you know, the internet says all sorts of different things, so I have some questions.

I’ve read some horror stories on babies being around bearded dragons. I have a 7 month old. Would that be a problem as long as I don’t let her touch the beardie and I wash my hands after caring for it? Some people say just having it in the house could cause the baby to get saminilla.

Some places say a 20 gallon tank is sufficient, others say you need a 100 gal. I have a 40 gallon breeder (16inches tall, 36 inches wide and 18 inches tall) would this be big enough for the beardies whole life or just while it’s a baby? What lights would recommend ? What other things do you recommend as a MUST for starting out? Where is the best place to get all the supplies? I noticed a lot of the “name brands” you find in petsmart and such have bad reviews on Amazon.

Thanks!!!!

Gerald Smith

Hatchling Dragon
20gal is min size for a juvenile beardie 40gal min size for adult. But if yours is larger than average you may need something bigger. 100gal seems unnecessary. A lot of owners like to bump it up to 55 or 70 to give them plenty of space. I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure that you can’t get salmonella just by having it in the house. Just practice good hygiene and was your hands after you handle it and after you’ve picked up its waste. Especially if you are going to eat or handle your baby.