• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet trip: how to transport?

leximom

Hatchling Dragon
This has to be somewhere in the forum but I searched twice and got zero results for "vet". :(

I made an appointment for Lexi because it is pretty clear to me that she's weaker than she should be. Or at least it sure seems that way to me. She doesn't seem strong and she kind of scrabbles even to just walk. Since she went without UVB for the last several months of her life, I'm suspecting MBD in some form or another. Anyhow, what's the best way to transport her? Thank you in advance for your help! ^_^

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How far do you have to go? how cold is it outside? when i took mine i just wrapped him in a towel and put him in my jacket but it was about -10 ° when i took him. And i only had to go a few min away

leximom

Hatchling Dragon
It's been averaging 40° to 50° here. And I have to go about twenty minutes away. In your jacket?! They stay put?? I'd be afraid of her running away! But if it's that easy...I could carry her in a handbag?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya mines only a lil over 8" now but i just set him on the towel laid the front over his head laid the back over his tail and folded both sides over that kinda ended up in a square. But he was calm. You could maybe set him on a towel and set it in a handbag if its anything like my gf's its more of a bag than a purse.lol. As long as it zips so he cant escape should be ok

leximom

Hatchling Dragon
LOL! Yes, you know your handbags! ;) Okay, cool, that's what I'll do then. If I weren't driving, I'd hold her. Buuut....yeah. Probably shouldn't risk it yet. :p Thank you for the help, timbalan!

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
NP. Just make sure you give him a towel or something soft to sit on. And mabe carry him from the bottom of the bag instead of the straps to help from squishing him. ;) let us know how it goes

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dexter closes her eyes as soon as her head gets covered and she gets relaxed. I always just stick her in my jacket when I take her out. You could also put him in a large cricket keeper or a shoebox with a towel to sit on.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a small animal carrier. Would probably opt for the cricket keeper or even a cardboard box with a towel. I have visions of my lovely lying on my chest or in a purse and producing a bowel movement!

leximom

Hatchling Dragon
EW! Poop in purse = no thank you!
Good suggestions. I thought of a shoe box but of COURSE I don't have one right now. :p I may take her in a ten gallon tank... Still brainstorming but it's nice to have options! I really wish I had a box with straps.....

leximom

Hatchling Dragon
Ha! I made a box with straps! Giant tissue box with a cloth inside, tucked into our giant cooler bag. ^_^ Well. It's not giant, just taller than most. Yay! We're at the vet now. Thanks again, guys!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ha! I made a box with straps! Giant tissue box with a cloth inside, tucked into our giant cooler bag. ^_^ Well. It's not giant, just taller than most. Yay! We're at the vet now. Thanks again, guys!

Good idea! Yeah, poop in purse would not be good!

SageAlbright

Bearded Dragon Egg
I put my girl in a cat carrier when we went to the vet with towels and 4 hand warmers under the towels. You can buy hand warmers for around a dollar. Just make sure you have towels over the hand warmers so she doesn't burn. I had to drive about 30 minutes and she was perfectly fine.