• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

very unsure + inexperienced owner

baylor3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, thank you for reading this. My family has had a bearded dragon for about 6 years now. His name is Professor, and it was my siblings who pushed to get him. I'm freaked out by all things cold-blooded, so I kind of went along with it, like sure, as long as it's not in my room, that kind of thing.
But my siblings have lost interest, and I feel really bad for Professor now. Compared to forums here like "Cold-blooded snuggles" Professor leads a miserable life: He's been out of his 2x1 glass cage maybe three, four times. He bangs his head on the floor and the walls at night, which I have learned is normal for horny teenage bearded dragons, but he does it hard enough to hear from downstairs. He sleeps with his nose in a corner, and recently has seemed so much more interested in the outside world... I really feel bad. He's got a single rock and some green carpeting, and that's it. He used to love being close to his heat lamp on a pile of rocks, but then his crickets started hiding in the pile so we reduced it to one large, constant rock, and now he's constantly in the opposite side. I think he might be avoiding the heat lamp's heat-- could it be too hot? He has absolutely no stimulus or *enhancement* besides our comings and goings. I can't bring myself to touch him, even making eye contact for too long gets me itchy, so I haven't been doing anything for him. I read in a book at Petco once that the nails have to be clipped, but his haven't been clipped once. He can't put his toesies on the ground. I mean, he's basically got claws. He's also never been brought to the vet. Giving him up isn't an option. What can I do for him?
I should also mention his diet: crickets and raspberry/kale salads every now and then.

Matt.keith7

Hatchling Dragon
Poor thing. Give him a warm bath. He would probably appreciate it. And let him out of his tank to run around some. Can he walk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, I know its hard to hear , but if you are a reptiphobe and there is nobody else there to take care of his needs, then perhaps rehoming him is the best thing you can do for him. First, that tank is way too small for him and has been for quite some time, giving him what he needs will probably require a lot of other changes too, but that is where you need to start. The enclosed space probably makes him a bit stir crazy, Im sure I would be too, he is bored. Giving him plenty of room to move and turn would be good for him.
If the basking rock is directly under his heat lamp there is a good chance that it is heating up too much, you need an IR temp gun to check the surface temperature and there should be a temperature gradient in the tank itself (a hot side and a cool side). I am guessing his bulbs dont get changed out too often, they need replacing every 6 months depending on what type you use.
At 6 years old his diet should be mostly veggies, that should include a staple such as collard , mustard or turnip greens and squash. The kale is ok in moderation, but veggies should be fed daily and crickets once or twice a week (basically 90%veggies, 10%bugs). Does he have any suppliments with his food? i.e calcium and multivitamins?
I do feel for you ,must be hard watching but being unable to interact with him yourself, maybe your phobia is something you can overcome, that would make life a lot easier.

BeardedKevin

Bearded Dragon Egg
Before I met my Fiancee I already owned my bearded dragons. At first she was petrified of them, scared of their spikes, scared shed be bitten. It took a lot of courage for her to touch them it started off with just one finger on stroking them, after a short while she realised they're not scary after all and most nights they have mummy cuddles. We've even got another bearded dragon aswell now. She's more scared of feeding them live food. I Think this is something you and professor could overcome. His nails might be like razors if he's not been out so be careful he doesn't scratch you.
I agree that he'll need a nice bath he will apericiate that. Hope it all works out. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DawnM

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think you may be able to get over your fear. People who truly can't stand animals do not care about their welfare. When was the last time someone afraid of spiders cared if a spider was injured, suffering, or dying. You obviously have some kind of attachment to Professor if his welfare is important to you.

Im sure if you looked online there may be some kind of information on getting over phobias. You're not truly phobic if you can look at him without having a major reaction so it should be easier for you. I'm not saying you don't have a significant fear but you should have a better starting point.

If you want to keep him I'd start with just practicing being able to look at him without anxiety. Mine likes being talked to and given attention even when she's in her cage. Start feeding him and try to build a bond that way.

If you're not interested in keeping him it would definitely be in his best interest just to let him go. You know he could have a happier life. If the siblings aren't willing to care for him than they've given up making any choices for him.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

baylor3

Bearded Dragon Egg
thank you all for your help. i've decided to start getting over my fear and to improve his cage this summer, and just gave professor the first strawberry of his life (which he loved). i'm also looking into getting his nails cut. thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Everyone said some good things here. I just want to add something else, when you feed him crickets or any other bug, make sure you remove the left over ones that he didn't eat. Bugs will nibble on the bearded dragon if left in the tank with him. This could lead to bug bites and infections.

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
thank you all for your help. i've decided to start getting over my fear and to improve his cage this summer, and just gave professor the first strawberry of his life (which he loved). i'm also looking into getting his nails cut. thank you!
I just wanna tell you that I have always had some type of fear towards my animals. As weird as that is !! But once I'm home with them I start with little things like you did by feeding the strawberry! Take it day by day.. heck I've always been utterly terrified of roaches, but now I breed them. :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good for you! they are such great critters! if you haven't already take a look at the links under several of our comments as we have put together all the info anyone needs to care for them.. it is also found in the general care section.