• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very Skinny, Curved Spine, 7 yr old Male

LovelyLittleLizard

Bearded Dragon Egg
image.jpg

This is my friends beardie named Remus. I’m very worried about him. His spine is curved and his front claws are out turned. I think it’s melabotic bone disease since he doesn’t get calcium regularly. He does not hunt food, he’s not able to. His shoulders also seem to be caved inwards. He’s also lost a lot of weight (not all at once). He can’t really move his front legs and doesn’t put any weight on them. I’m listing all of this because I need another opinion. I don’t want to say it but if he’s in pain I think the most humane thing is for him to be euthanized.
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 32128
This is my friends beardie named Remus. I’m very worried about him. His spine is curved and his front claws are out turned. I think it’s melabotic bone disease since he doesn’t get calcium regularly. He does not hunt food, he’s not able to. His shoulders also seem to be caved inwards. He’s also lost a lot of weight (not all at once). He can’t really move his front legs and doesn’t put any weight on them. I’m listing all of this because I need another opinion. I don’t want to say it but if he’s in pain I think the most humane thing is for him to be euthanized.View attachment 32129
MBD is caused by insufficient UVB - if a coil is being used for a UVB that is more than likely the cause and it should be replaced immediately to stop it from getting worse - please get a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank the bulb that comes w/ it is a 5.0 you want a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- or get a Arcadia Pro T 5 - How old is Remus? He should have a solid clear bright white basking bulb for basking temps they should be surface basking temps -- if he is over 6 months of age they should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - temps in the tank should be 95-100 for basking - middle of tank 90's and a cool side of 80's during the day and night time 65-75 cool a dark --- I would invest in another digital probe if you dont have any - you want 2 of them stick ons are ok for ambient temps - he should be fed a staple insect feeder of cricket dubias or BSFL or silkworms - I recommend dubias - they are a better staple feeder and more economical -- www.dubiaroaches.com - feed the insect no bigger than the space between his eyes - fresh salads every day - if hes not able to eat on his own he needs to hand fed or by syringe you need to make a slurry for him -
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 you want a 22" bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
Please get this fixed as soon as possible --- the dragon is going to die if this stuff is not fixed --
Please add calcium D3 to the slurry like a pinch or so -- the dragon has not been able to absorb the calcium hes been fed - the correct UVB will stop anymore MBD from progressing but the damage he has now is irreversible
Please get the basking decor lower so he can get on it I suggest rolled up towels like dish towels or hand towels - the most important thing in the tank is correct surface basking temps and the UVB --- this plays a role w/ the overall health and behavior of the dragon and at this point he is in bad shape -- I will help w/ the UV getting it set up in the tank - depending on the screen will determine placement but w/ the shape his in now I am going to advise the dragon has NO obstruction from the rays meaning screen ---