• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vegan Beardies?

CanadianBeardies

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi from Canada
We have just rejoined the world of Beardie Owners and are very happy to be back! My problem is a young beardie who won't eat crickets. He does eat his veggies, and is pretty active, though quite small. I have no idea how old s/he is but is about 6 inches from nose to tail tip. She did eat crickets but stopped when she was put into a viv with our slightly bigger beardie (7.5inches) They were raised together, purchased from the same cage, just a few days apart. I haven't seen any signs of dominant aggressive behavior other than a few head bumps- mostly they seem to ignore each other. The little one has a front foot that flops over sideways-always has from when we got her. I am worried that perhaps they shouldn't be living together, but have no options other than returning the small one to the shop. But owing to her floppy foot, I am worried that they may just euthanize her rather than try to find her another home. We have a big viv and good lighting, lots to climb on and the temp is about 101 at the hot end, 84 at the cool. We have reptical substrate, with eco grass at one end, 2 climbing spots, plus a vine and a cave rock they both like to dig under. Is it possible that they can learn to live together, or am I really delusional? Do you think her lack of eating is due to her change in location, or is something else possible? She seems alert, very active, though very nervous of hands in the viv, and displays readily if we get too close. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Glad to have found this site!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You MIGHT get lucky enough not to suffer the pain of one dominating the other, basically to death, but I'd rather doubt that. Each dragon should be in separate enclosures with uvb, heat as well as what ever furniture you choose for them. Particulate substrates lead to unhealthy living, due to the high bacteria count present in that, as well as possible ingesting and blocking of the intestinal track.

Let's just start with basics.
this is what most of us use as a guide/bible to feeding our dragons:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Green coded is daily staples.
Black coded are snacks, 1-2 times a week.

Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I replied to your intro post with my thoughts on housing them together. I think you are very big hearted for taking the little one in. However, I do think you are already seeing signs of dominant behavior. One will become meek and stop eating.

It could end uggly for the little one.

CanadianBeardies

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for your replies
We will eventually separate them. I am watching them carefully and today the little one ate two crickets! She loves her veggies too and seems pretty alert and very active. We had hopes they could stay together at least for the short term while we consider how to house them. I am also curious about all this talk re: sand for substrates. When we had our last Beardie sand was the only option, and I always believe we should make their enclosures as close as possible to the real thing. Don't they live on sand in the wild, and by nature love to dig? Both of these little ones dig in the sand a lot! Just curious what you all think?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sand is very controversial. I have used it in the past.

The sand in Australia is very dense, almost mud like. So, the sand sold in most stores resembles playground sand. This is not the natural habitat of the bearded dragon. If you sift the sand you purchased, you will find large pieces of glass mixed in it. If your beardie was to lick this glass or accidentally ingest it, it could be detrimental.

Also, it is said that if a beardie ingests enough sand, it could lead to impaction. Sand also harbors bacteria, which could lead to respiratory issues.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
depending on the cause of the foot issue, you might incorporate some additional vitamin B complex or brewers yeast to her diet.

CanadianBeardies

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Good idea on the Vit. B. I live really rural and the closest vet is 1.5 hrs away and NOT a reptile vet at all:( Considering she was like this from when we got her, and her other feet are all fine, I am tending to think she damaged it when hatching or while cooped up in that tiny space at the pet shop with 5 others - yuck- I wish I had room and resources to bring em all home. We have bumped up her vits and she ate 6 crickets at her midday feeding, much more alert and responsive, though still very shy to the human hand. We are waiting another week or so to try handling her.