• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vacation and a juvenile bearded dragon?

Dundee

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my new beardie a couple of weeks ago (yes, he was a Christmas present lol) and he's about 4-5 months old (the reptile store I got him from wasn't completely sure). He's been doing great, eating well, pooping regularly, no worrying behavior. But a new problem has come up. My family is taking a week-long trip to the beach (leave Saturday, get back either next Saturday or Sunday). It would be a long car ride and I have a large family so I don't think there would be much room for his enclosure or a makeshift one that would be comfortable. Plus, I don't want to stress him out since he's still a little skittish. Should I see about getting someone to come over every day to feed and check on him? Should I try to find a place that I can board him? Should I just bite the bullet and try to take him with me? Any solution I find I know I'm going to be super anxious, even if I do find a way to bring him with me.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Many reptile and exotic pet stores will offer boarding. You can ask an employee about it, but check reviews and their facility very carefully first. Most pet boarding services have great staff and will contact you and a vet if there's an emergency.

You can hire someone to come over every day (or leave him at their house) if you have a friend or relative you trust to watch him for you. Leave specific instructions for his care, a feeding schedule, and some information on him to make their job as easy as possible.

If you want to take him with you, you'll need a travel carrier, all of his lighting and decor, and his enclosure. If you bring it in the car, you run the risk of something getting damaged. You would need to be very careful about not leaving him in the car whenever you stop, make sure that wherever you're staying allows pets and has room for him, and the move will be stressful. You would also need to transfer his feeder insects (almost impossible) or buy new ones when you arrive, which can be difficult.

A petsitter is probably the best option. It's usually the least stressful choice for both the pet and the owner.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got my new beardie a couple of weeks ago (yes, he was a Christmas present lol) and he's about 4-5 months old (the reptile store I got him from wasn't completely sure). He's been doing great, eating well, pooping regularly, no worrying behavior. But a new problem has come up. My family is taking a week-long trip to the beach (leave Saturday, get back either next Saturday or Sunday). It would be a long car ride and I have a large family so I don't think there would be much room for his enclosure or a makeshift one that would be comfortable. Plus, I don't want to stress him out since he's still a little skittish. Should I see about getting someone to come over every day to feed and check on him? Should I try to find a place that I can board him? Should I just bite the bullet and try to take him with me? Any solution I find I know I'm going to be super anxious, even if I do find a way to bring him with me.
See if you can have someone come over and feed him - get a timer $5 or so for the lights to come on and go off- have them feed salads rinsed before serving w/ some BSFL on top of those salads- it will lure them.to the bowl-- then feed the main staple feeder--- make sure his husbandry is up to par meaning basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 105-110-- and NO COILS for a UVB