• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Hood lenght for 36" long Terrarium?

FalconMan

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys starting the build on my Terrarium for a future beardie. And I have a 36"L 18"W18"H Terrarium and was curious if a 14" Reptisun T5HO would be long enough? Or is it too short? The terrarium I have has a "screen door" type screen on the top, split in the middle length ways. If the hood is set on top of it will the screen block alot of the UVB? I had considered modifying the screen by using some thin veneer wood to "frame" the light hood and then cut out the screen in the middle of the frame to un-obstruct the light has anyone ever done this would this be wise?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys starting the build on my Terrarium for a future beardie. And I have a 36"L 18"W18"H Terrarium and was curious if a 14" Reptisun T5HO would be long enough? Or is it too short? The terrarium I have has a "screen door" type screen on the top, split in the middle length ways. If the hood is set on top of it will the screen block alot of the UVB? I had considered modifying the screen by using some thin veneer wood to "frame" the light hood and then cut out the screen in the middle of the frame to un-obstruct the light has anyone ever done this would this be wise?
A 14" hood is too short- I suggest a 24" and yes the screen will block 30% of the rays-- if it's a wide hole type it can sit on top but distance plays a role in the tank along w/ top of screen

FalconMan

Hatchling Dragon
I'm gona get the 24" REptisun T5HO hood then, What is your opinion of opening up a section of the screen to unobstruct the light? I was going to use thin veneer wood and small nails to put it together and then glue to keep the rest of the screen rigid. Then cut out the section of screen where the light fixture would sit. Or do I risk the beardie trying to get into the bulb fixture itself?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm gona get the 24" REptisun T5HO hood then, What is your opinion of opening up a section of the screen to unobstruct the light? I was going to use thin veneer wood and small nails to put it together and then glue to keep the rest of the screen rigid. Then cut out the section of screen where the light fixture would sit. Or do I risk the beardie trying to get into the bulb fixture itself?
No that should be fine -- the distance for the fixture should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- the only time I have known a dragon to try to get to the UVB is when it has been in properly placed and they are trying to get to the rays ---