• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB basking

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, how many inches below the uvb should the basking decor be? What should the temp under the UVB be? It was just recently that my dragon started seeking the UVB at higher elevations. My UVB is a Zoo Med T5 HO 39W.
thanks

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, how many inches below the uvb should the basking decor be? What should the temp under the UVB be? It was just recently that my dragon started seeking the UVB at higher elevations. My UVB is a Zoo Med T5 HO 39W.
thanks
Im kinda confused by ur question, the t5 shouldn’t really be emitting much heat, you want ur temps 90-95 for an adult, 100-105 for a baby, so ur decor can be as high or low as it needs to be, u just need to be getting the proper temps, I attached a picture of the recommended height for uv, and how i have my lights , im using a 100w basking bulb.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thanks
Recommended 12-15 inches w/ the basking decor directly underneath

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im kinda confused by ur question, the t5 shouldn’t really be emitting much heat, you want ur temps 90-95 for an adult, 100-105 for a baby, so ur decor can be as high or low as it needs to be, u just need to be getting the proper temps, I attached a picture of the recommended height for uv, and how i have my lights , im using a 100w basking bulb.
Hello, am I correct in saying that under the basking bulb it should be 90-95 degrees? To sum it up I was just asking what should the temp be under the UVB. And is the UVB heat emitting at all? I think my beardie is climbing to get closer to it. below.thanks
4A1BE956-26E9-428F-9526-0102762AC407.jpeg

n

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, am I correct in saying that under the basking bulb it should be 90-95 degrees? To sum it up I was just asking what should the temp be under the UVB. And is the UVB heat emitting at all? I think my beardie is climbing to get closer to it. below.thanks
View attachment 28543
n
You should have 3 temps in the tank--- 95-100 under basking--- middle of the tank 90's--- cool side 80's--- UVB does not emit heat if your dragon is climbing to get to the UVB it may be to far away-- what is the distance and you should have a piece of decor directly under it 12-15 inches--

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You should have 3 temps in the tank--- 95-100 under basking--- middle of the tank 90's--- cool side 80's--- UVB does not emit heat if your dragon is climbing to get to the UVB it may be to far away-- what is the distance and you should have a piece of decor directly under it 12-15 inches--
In the pic above the fixture she’s climbing on is 10” below the UVB. The pic below shows a cave that she sometimes sleeps in and sits on. It is 17” below the center of the UVB.
CF9EE800-BA2E-4DC6-A229-113131759C2E.jpeg

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks
A dragon needs Heat & UVB. For heat get the Zoomed clear basking bulb & for UVB the Reptisun 10.0 T5. The UVB light needs replacing every “6” Mnths because it stops emitting UVB even tho it still turns on. We rescue and rehome & see Beardies on their death bed because of incorrect Uvb & not replacing for years. It’s very sad. The UVB should be 8-10inches or more from the dragon of its inside the cage if it’s above the tank on the screen mesh; he can be closer. But please switch to the Reptisun 10.0 T5 it’s the best and highest output for the dragon. Order the length to cover at least 70 percent of your tank & remember replace it every 6Mnths religiously. He is craving UVB without it he will get MBD, brittle bones, lethargic, unable to eat, or walk & eventually death. The temp for an adult dragon 9mnths or older should be 95-97 use a digital thermometer and place the probe on the basking platform on the hot side. Buy an Infrared gun also from Home Depot Amd shine it and inch away from the basking spot that’s super accurate also and a digital hygrometer for humidity place it on the hot side an inch from the top of cage nect to his basking spot. Humidity should be 30-40’never higher than 40. In the summer leave both lights on for 12-14 hours more like 14 & in the winter 10-12 hours more like 10. At nite; NO lights; they need dark & quite & remove all Food and water bowls from the tank when you put him to bed. Also no sand substrate and never feed mealworms it impacts them.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I see the problem here, so basically only the top of her head is at the right height for the uvb, the rest of her body needs to be at the height her head is , id shop around for a higher piece of decor, or stack a couple bricks on the right side so she can get as close as she wants, you want something she can pancake out on kinda like what i have.

Attachments

• 9EDC4E32-00A9-4FEA-82C3-1411ED4E1D2B.jpeg
    9EDC4E32-00A9-4FEA-82C3-1411ED4E1D2B.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In the pic above the fixture she’s climbing on is 10” below the UVB. The pic below shows a cave that she sometimes sleeps in and sits on. It is 17” below the center of the UVB.
View attachment 28545
Is she climbing on the rock thats directly under the UVB? The cave rock is too far from the UVB if its 17" - just make sure you have a piece of decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches is all I can tell you --