• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UTH question.

Shawn Martin

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I am newbie owner of a 1 yr old bearded dragon. I bought a set up from a person that goes like this: 55 gallon tank, 75W basking bulb, 2 fluorescent UV lights, temp/humidity gauge and UTH. The UTH is attached to the side of the tank instead of under. My question is... is the UTH really going to be effective under the tank if there is a inch of what looks like sand but is really crushed walnuts? Seems like the "sand" would be a barrier and the heat wouldn't transfer through. Thanks in advance!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, I am newbie owner of a 1 yr old bearded dragon. I bought a set up from a person that goes like this: 55 gallon tank, 75W basking bulb, 2 fluorescent UV lights, temp/humidity gauge and UTH. The UTH is attached to the side of the tank instead of under. My question is... is the UTH really going to be effective under the tank if there is a inch of what looks like sand but is really crushed walnuts? Seems like the "sand" would be a barrier and the heat wouldn't transfer through. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum and to beardies!! We love pictures here.. Off the top I would say a few things: A 55gal is really too narrow for an adult since most can get up to 24" long. They should be able to comfortably turn around without hitting the sides. You don't want to use UTH that are actually under the tank because beardies can't sense heat from below they only sense it from above. So UTH can actually burn them..They were likely using it on the side of the tank to help keep the heat up as with a 55 it is a bit hard to keep the correct temps.. (I started out with 1 until she was an adult then switched to 40g breeders for all 3 of mine)
The substrate is another topic: Beardies lick their environment this is how they learn where they are and form memories, so with that being said each time they can potentially ingest the substrate and over time they can become impacted..Then there is the fact of bacteria, smells, can get in their eyes/nostrils causing issues..crushed walnut isn't smooth so it can cause issues inside them.

I hope that helps, under several of our comments you will find some links, in the link general info for 1st timers will give you everything you may need to help you on this journey... It is also found in the general info section.

Shawn Martin

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks... I switched to a 100W basking lamp and it keeps it around 95*. I also purchased beige reptile carpet. What do you all think is the best substrate?

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I second everything Hdrydr31 said. Something additional to consider - 55 gallons are pretty tall tanks, so make sure you check to make sure the uvb will actually reach your beardie - it should say on the box or manufacturers website to what depth the UV will penetrate. Not much point having the light if the UV rays can't reach him!!!

Substrate is a matter of preference, as long as it is safe. Sand and crushed walnuts are dangerous. I like easy, so I use nonadhesive shelf liner with slate tiles - easy to clean, the slate keeps his nails down, and if the liner gets super gross I just throw it out and replace it. $10 at the hardware store gives me 3 liners to use, each of which can last over a month.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have shelf liner on the bottom and I use ceramic tiles

Shawn Martin

Bearded Dragon Egg
The heat /UV lamp is about 5"-6" away from the log he sits on. Hopefully that's close enough absorb some rays. And I bought repti carpet that is washable. Maybe I'll do the slate tile thing after the carpet gets nasty.