• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

URI!!

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, I believe my beardie has an upper respiratory infection. The first symptom I noticed was a day or two ago, he had been opening his mouth a little more than normal. I thought he was just trying to cool himself down, but last night as I was going to bed I heard one small wheezing noise come from him. Now today while he was crawling around on my chest he buried his face into my hair and sneezed, I wasn’t sure if it was because my hair tickled his nose or because of the possible respiratory infection, but then he lied down and started smacking his lips which I read was another sign.I am well aware I need to bring him to a vet ASAP, my question is, it’s Saturday night and the reptile vet that I can take him to is closed on Sundays, will he be OK until Monday?? I don’t want him to suffocate between now and then. I have an intense basking spot light for him, and a large log he can get as close or as far away to the basking spot as possible, so his temps are definitely high enough. And I mean he can literally get as close as 1-2 inches away from the basking spotlight if he wants to. That’s where he’s been hanging out recently with his mouth open. His activity levels have been fine and he has been eating just fine, even today, nothing else concerning besides the noises and mouth breathing. I don’t know what to do if he’s not going to be OK until Monday, there isn’t another vet in my area who sees reptiles who is open on Sunday who doesn’t have hundreds of reviews about how they've killed peoples’ animals… And obviously I don’t want to risk taking him to them lol. and obviously I don’t want to risk taking him to them lol. If I leave the basking light on from now until then, all 24 hours per day will that help at all?? I’m so worried about him.

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh damn I moved his log closer to try and raise the temp because that’s what a lot of the other advice was, raise it to 109-120 and I didn’t know how else to do that besides moving him closer to the light... no mucous coming out of anywhere, and I can get him an UTH tomorrow but it’s 11pm and everywhere is closed. I’ve got a good reptile vet it’s just that they’re closed on sundays. I don’t know the humidity in his tank, but I can’t imagine it’s high, I don’t mist his tank and there’s not any open windows near him. I work at a pet store so I can get a humidity thermometer tomorrow as well. I’m just not sure I can take waking up to a dead beardie, I’d lose my ****.
1-2 inches is way too close for a dragon to get to a basking bulb--- you need to change that ASAP-- his basking spot temps should be 95-110- taken w/ a digital probe- does he have any mucous coming out of his nose or mouth-? What is the humidity in his tank? You can try and keep his tank warmer over nite w/ a heating pad set in low your temps over nite say around 80 if he's not feeling good-- here is a website to find a reptile vet ---. www.arav.org

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is his warm side, so like I said he can get as close or as far to the light as he pleases. But if I need to change that, literally anything to help him. I just didn’t know how quickly this problem could turn deadly. Everything online is like “TAKE HIM IMMEDIATELY OR HE WILL SUFFOCATE” and I’m panicking to say the least

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just the one wheeze around midnight last night and the one sneeze about an hour ago, nothing consistent. Ok. I’ll move the log back to where it used to be, which keeps his basking temp between 95-100 according to the two different kinds of stick on thermometers I have although I know those aren’t as good as digital probes. Yes, he’s eating just fine, just ran over and took a few bites of his arugula/carrot/bell pepper/blueberry/strawberry salad I gave him today! Thank you for easing my worries a bit, he’s going to the vet first thing Monday morning.
If he doesn't have any mucous coming out it's probably not a RI-- but I am not a vet but what your gonna have is a beardie w/ a burn- 120 is too hot-- and too close for him 110 is the hottest it should be-- are you hearing wheezing all the time? I am sure he will be fine till Monday keep an eye on his behavior- is he eating?

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so... NOT this one? It’s just what came in the reptile kit I bought when I got him, gotta love how inaccurate the information PetSmart gives you is...
Those stick ons are totally inaccurate-- what are you using for a UVB-- NO COILS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 49

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
My tank is a 50 gallon, is the first bulb here considered a tube bulb or do I need the second one? I have a wide mesh screen top so I could easily set it on top, but if I need to put it inside the tank how would I do that? Just hang it like with string/zip ties or something?
NONONONO!! those are killers --- please invest in a Reptisun 10.0 bulb w/ a fixture w/ a reflector-- NO Home Depot fixture they have no reflectors on them ------------- DO NOT listen to the pet store people they dont own dragons and have not a clue as to how to take care of them and sell you stuff you DO NOT need!!! So w/ your tank its a ? 40 gallon???? I recommend a 24" fixture I dont know how high your tank is so the two bulb s are a T 8 or a T 5 they HAFT to be certain distances from your decor piece so if you get a T 8 it would need to go inside the tank approx 8/10 inches -- the T 5 needs to go inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from decor OR if you have a wide screen mesh it can sit on top but it would need to be 8-10 inches and if its a fine mesh it would need to be 6-8 inches from decor piece NO COVER over the bulb it needs to be exposed --- so let me know what you decide to get and I will help you from there -- they are spendy - you can get a fixture from this website and a Reptisun bulb from here www.pangeareptiles.com they have a 24" fixture w/ a reflector for $32 and the Reptisun 10.0 bulb s there -- the T 5's and the T 8's will fit into that fixture --- so if you ever decide to get a bigger tank you can switch from the T 8 to a T 5 w/ no issues

Attachments

• 28A4F92E-057C-44FF-8251-5107BE5B19CF.jpeg
    28A4F92E-057C-44FF-8251-5107BE5B19CF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • 8903FAE7-4545-4B29-B5A4-843DFDA3C855.jpeg
    8903FAE7-4545-4B29-B5A4-843DFDA3C855.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
These are my options at Petco, where I work. This is what I could get him today. I could order something online, but obviously it will take a few days to deliver. I guess it depends on How necessary it is to get it immediately?
NONONONO!! those are killers --- please invest in a Reptisun 10.0 bulb w/ a fixture w/ a reflector-- NO Home Depot fixture they have no reflectors on them ------------- DO NOT listen to the pet store people they dont own dragons and have not a clue as to how to take care of them and sell you stuff you DO NOT need!!! So w/ your tank its a ? 40 gallon???? I recommend a 24" fixture I dont know how high your tank is so the two bulb s are a T 8 or a T 5 they HAFT to be certain distances from your decor piece so if you get a T 8 it would need to go inside the tank approx 8/10 inches -- the T 5 needs to go inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from decor OR if you have a wide screen mesh it can sit on top but it would need to be 8-10 inches and if its a fine mesh it would need to be 6-8 inches from decor piece NO COVER over the bulb it needs to be exposed --- so let me know what you decide to get and I will help you from there -- they are spendy - you can get a fixture from this website and a Reptisun bulb from here www.pangeareptiles.com they have a 24" fixture w/ a reflector for $32 and the Reptisun 10.0 bulb s there -- the T 5's and the T 8's will fit into that fixture --- so if you ever decide to get a bigger tank you can switch from the T 8 to a T 5 w/ no issues

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 46

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Will this work even though it’s not reptisun? It’s the T8 bulb and reflector in one. If not I’ll buy from Pangea, but I get a killer discount here so i would definitely rather buy from here if it’s the right fixture
And they are spendy--- you can get the bulb from pangea for $20 - your using that coil - pangea will have it to you in a few days

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome thank you so much!! So new UVB light and a probe thermometer, plus vet visit tomorrow morning. He’s lucky he’s my whole life, I’m going broke loving him lol!
Yes the fixture will work but replace the bulb w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 - the bulb in that fixture is not as good but useable --- I would get the Reptisun bulb you and the dragon will be happier and if your getting a discount on it then it would be worth it ---- just remember to replace the bulb in 6 months --- so mark it on your calendar

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK I’m back, sorry! The UVB light fixture came with a clear plastic cover over the bulb, you said I should remove that right? Also according to the digital probe his basking temperature is right at 100, so seems like he’s good there! His stool was very runny, I picked up a sample to take to the vet in the morning in case they needed it.
You can hang in tank w/ long plastic zip ties --- 3 M velcro fasteners -- fishing line --- picture wire hangers - shoe laces etc

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh how kind of you to ask! :) ended up that he has pinworms and coccidia, but no respiratory infection at least! The vet gave us some deworming meds and we have another appointment in a month for another fecal test to make sure the problem has been solved. He seems to be doing just fine aside from being a butt about taking the meds haha!
Hi Lucie,
How is your beardie doing?