• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Up and Down Appetite?

Tytus402

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not sure if this is the right section for this or not, but my recently acquired beardy is inconsistent with how much he eats. We got him on 11/9 at 8 weeks. He’s in a 4x2x2 enclosure with Arcadia T5 HO 14% double bulb with reflector and a 150w basking bulb. Hot side is 107-111 and cool is about 85. There are several levels he can go up to get closer to the light or further away or completely hide from it. First few days he didn’t eat much. Maybe a dubia and 10 or so bsfl. Then one day he put down about 30+ total during the day. Next day about 20...next day a little less...today a little more. I hear so many stories from owners talking about how many bugs they eat and how they attack their food. This guy won’t eat anything unless it passes by his face. He has put on weight though. When he got here a week ago he was 11 grams. Today he’s 16 grams and about 1/3 of an inch longer. Is this normal?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Sounds like my little girl. She gained slowly the first few weeks I had her. Then she started gaining 9 grams in 4 days! She’s still lazy most days about only eating what comes to her. Most feeding times, I don’t even bother tossing the BSFL in one or two at a time, because she’ll glance at them, decide they’re a millimeter too far away, and then stare at me until I drop one closer. I usually just dump them on her plate, wait until she eats her fill, then pull out the extras. The only thing she goes crazy for and attacks are her rare hornworm treats.
Her appetite also just recently picked up a ton, when she hit somewhere around 4-ish months.
I would think that as long as your baby does keep eating and gaining weight and settling in, it sounds like things are good.

Tytus402

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the response Janelle. It would be my luck to get the guy that wants to be pampered 24/7 lol

Tytus402

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hahahaha...well he ate more today than he has since he’s been with me. Roughly 40 bsfl and 10-12 dubias today. Hopefully he keeps it up!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Recheck the temps in your basking spot. Usually when their are eating issues it's because the temps are off.