• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unsure he's getting enough protein

Salsa2012

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
I just got a bearded dragon a week ago (he seems maybe 8wks old) and I am still working on a good feeding routine. When I got him I was worried about the substrate that they store talked me into getting (woodchips) but they assured me that as long as I fed him in a separate container that this would be fine. Well, all was good the first day, I was feeding him crickets with tweezers because I had not yet found a separate container that would work. The second day I got him some Dubia roaches and found a rubbermaid container. I put him in there with some roaches and he completely froze and they flipped out. I took him out but that whole day I was completely paranoid that something was seriously wrong with him because he suddenly would start acting like he was having a seizure and would fall onto his back with his mouth open. I had to keep picking him up and holding him until he was back to normal and then I'd place him in his enclosure just to have it happen again an hour later. This lasted until bedtime. During all of this I switched out his heat lamp thinking that maybe it wasn't warm enough, this might have helped. The next day he seemed fine although he will now no longer let us hold him and he is super skittish about everything. I bought him carpet for his enclosure and a good dish that the roaches cannot climb out of and fed him like that in his enclosure for a couple of days and have recently been trying to figure out how to feed him crickets. He only seems to want to eat a few at a time which from what I read isn't enough and I realized tonight that the ones he is missing have been hiding in his favorite log. This led me to spending two hours tonight trying to get crickets out of the log and his enclosure :/
There has to be a better way.
I don't want to feed him in a different container because of what happened the first time, and because he does not want to be picked up still.
Dubia roaches would be easy to feed him since they wont get out of his dish and roam around plus he can stay in his enclosure to eat them, but I am worried that he's not getting enough protein with just a few Dubia roaches a day (I read you should't feed them too many of those). What should I do? Is there a better way to do the crickets? Or am I going to need to try to feed him 40-80 crickets one at a time every day?
Thank you for any advice!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello!
I just got a bearded dragon a week ago (he seems maybe 8wks old) and I am still working on a good feeding routine. When I got him I was worried about the substrate that they store talked me into getting (woodchips) but they assured me that as long as I fed him in a separate container that this would be fine. Well, all was good the first day, I was feeding him crickets with tweezers because I had not yet found a separate container that would work. The second day I got him some Dubia roaches and found a rubbermaid container. I put him in there with some roaches and he completely froze and they flipped out. I took him out but that whole day I was completely paranoid that something was seriously wrong with him because he suddenly would start acting like he was having a seizure and would fall onto his back with his mouth open. I had to keep picking him up and holding him until he was back to normal and then I'd place him in his enclosure just to have it happen again an hour later. This lasted until bedtime. During all of this I switched out his heat lamp thinking that maybe it wasn't warm enough, this might have helped. The next day he seemed fine although he will now no longer let us hold him and he is super skittish about everything. I bought him carpet for his enclosure and a good dish that the roaches cannot climb out of and fed him like that in his enclosure for a couple of days and have recently been trying to figure out how to feed him crickets. He only seems to want to eat a few at a time which from what I read isn't enough and I realized tonight that the ones he is missing have been hiding in his favorite log. This led me to spending two hours tonight trying to get crickets out of the log and his enclosure :/
There has to be a better way.
I don't want to feed him in a different container because of what happened the first time, and because he does not want to be picked up still.
Dubia roaches would be easy to feed him since they wont get out of his dish and roam around plus he can stay in his enclosure to eat them, but I am worried that he's not getting enough protein with just a few Dubia roaches a day (I read you should't feed them too many of those). What should I do? Is there a better way to do the crickets? Or am I going to need to try to feed him 40-80 crickets one at a time every day?
Thank you for any advice!
Please get rid of the wood chips and do not listen to any more advice from the petstore -- wood chips if ingested can cause impaction and if sharp will cause internal damage--- use paper towels in the tank for now --- the flipping on the back has me concerned--- that is not a normal healthy dragon -- if he continues to do this some thing else is going on
Please review your husbandry in detail -- size of tank ? UVB brand and bulb coil or tube where in the tank is it? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-------
You need a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps and the probe needs to sit on the spot where he bask - they should be 105-110 for a baby -- leave on the spot for 10 minutes then get the temp
The UVB should be a long fixture NO coils -- they are inadequate-- you need this for a UVB they are one of the best on the market at this time
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/who...84-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html if your tank is a 40+ gallon -- if your using a 20 gallon you can still get this because your going to need to upgrade very soon -- just use the bulb that comes w/ the fixture it will be perfect for the smaller tank
but I want you to order this bub for the bigger tank
You need to get your lighting and basking temps correct so he keeps eating ---
You can feed him in his tank after you get rid of the wood chips -- he will go thru relocation stress so his eating may be off but he should NOT quit eating all together -- if he does there is a issue -- Keep offering the bugs you can feed crickets just drop them in front of him one or two at a time -- make sure they are dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding so if your feeding 2 times per day only one time - Vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding - you need to start offering salads every morning - here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Its good you have a glass bowl so the insects cant get out of - your going to need it I want you to order some BSFL for your baby they are a great staple feeder and you can feed as many as you want - DO NOT dust them they are calcium enriched - please post a pic of him so I can see the size of him -- you may need to order medium but I usually recommend large because they are small -- you can order from here www.symptonbsf.com
I also have other sites for other insects / worms as well -- I will get them posted later tonite but for now you need to get the correct lighting and basking temps in the tank or he will stop eating --