• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two bearded dragons?

Jadyn.calhoun

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had a bearded dragon for a little over a month and I was looking to get another. He is a little under 11 inches and I'm wondering if I could get him a cage mate. I fell in love with some beardies yesterday and I'm sure they won't be there for long. They were only a couple inches shorter than him and I'm hoping to get a female (they won't breed, my beardie is 4 months). I'm wondering if they would do well with eachother considering their difference in age and- only slightly- size. This wouldn't be permanent, only 1-2 months, but I want to make sure that nothing would go wrong.(sorry i don't know if this is the correct forum for this, I couldn't really find one)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi. please - NO. Although there are beardies which can live together, there are sooooo many more which CANNOT. One will generally become dominant - take the best food, the best heat, the best light. And - maybe bully the other. A lot can go wrong. And its not a nice thing to see. And - at 4 months of age, it's really pretty difficult to "sex" them. possible - but difficult. Many of us have more than 1 (its a disease) and keep them in separate vivs. please please please ???

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I deleted the other posts and moved this one to a general discussion.

Bearded dragons are solitary creatures and can attack and hurt or kill a cage mate.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
I'm just throwing this out there for discussion

But don't experienced folks keep some together.... Again, experienced being the word?

Just for discussion....I agree most should not do this however

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

But don't experienced folks keep some together.... Again, experienced being the word?

There are always exceptions I posted a comment on this question in another section (but due to duplicate posts it got deleted) I explained that there are a few on this forum that do have several housed together... They were rescues, they were not treated well at all and they bonded to eachother out of fear and found comfort together... They were female and female.
So yes it can work...sometimes...
But out of the blue for whatever reason things can go wrong...
I think if given enough room, enough food, multiple basking spots, multiple UVB it's possible.. IT ISN'T recommended by any means and we as a team try to educate new comers on what can happen, and that it is best to avoid housing multiple dragons together.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

Sometimes it can work, but there is a greater chance of it not working and just not worth the risk of trying.