• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying to get beardie to eat salads

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
My bearded dragon, Spike is about a year old now. I was feeding him plenty of bugs, black soldier fly larvae, crickets, and occasionally dubias (he doesn’t like dubias picky boy) with his salads. It’s now time to start cutting back on the bugs every day! Unfortunately, he is very picky and does not eat a lot of salad. I try switching it up too. I feed him mostly collards with some variety of squashes, other greens, sweet potatoes and sometimes some fruit here and there, you name it. Even feeding him berries with his salad there is no luck, he picks out the berries, lol. I didn’t feed him bugs today and I came home from work with his salad bowl untouched. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello!
My bearded dragon, Spike is about a year old now. I was feeding him plenty of bugs, black soldier fly larvae, crickets, and occasionally dubias (he doesn’t like dubias picky boy) with his salads. It’s now time to start cutting back on the bugs every day! Unfortunately, he is very picky and does not eat a lot of salad. I try switching it up too. I feed him mostly collards with some variety of squashes, other greens, sweet potatoes and sometimes some fruit here and there, you name it. Even feeding him berries with his salad there is no luck, he picks out the berries, lol. I didn’t feed him bugs today and I came home from work with his salad bowl untouched. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
How long have you been trying to feed salads? Babies should be started on salads right away -- otherwise they think the only diet is bugs--- please start feeding him insects 2-3 times per week and depending on the UVB your using this implies to the T 5 or T 8 bulb will determine the supplement feeding on the insects -- please take your BSFL and put them on the salads - this is going to lure him to that bowl add them in front of him so it draws the attention to the salad/ bowl -- w/ him not eating salads he needs the vitamins w/ beta carotene at least 2 times per week on the insects -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
kale is a great staple feeder -- you are going to haft to try and find out what he likes I still havent found anything really my two dragons like except horn worms -- and my oldest who is now 4 is finally eating some salad - when I got Blaze at 2 months I started feeding him salads the day I brought him home --- you can also add some super worms to the salads as well 1-3 feed those every other day or so they are a treat worm along w/ horn worms -- silk worms are a good staple feeder and can be added to the salad as well -- they are good because the STICK to everything -- try luring him to that salad bowl w/ the things I have mentioned and see how it goes - horn worms grow really fast if you hide them under the salad leaves so he sees the movement thats going to attract him ---