• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tripping over front legs... Please help

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
ED2F3C6B-C502-4A51-BCA6-9FD3454550BC.jpeg DFF1908C-CD73-415D-89E1-72F07D4E943B.jpeg EBBF7559-3F09-4C9F-A3A6-92180D2E70DB.jpeg 8A63A6BB-16EE-4490-9751-247CE72DD60A.jpeg 9BA92894-6E04-423F-B59C-8C2A5B4A268D.jpeg FC6046B6-319E-4AF5-A0B3-C7D8BD7BB44A.jpeg
ED2F3C6B-C502-4A51-BCA6-9FD3454550BC.jpeg
DFF1908C-CD73-415D-89E1-72F07D4E943B.jpeg
EBBF7559-3F09-4C9F-A3A6-92180D2E70DB.jpeg
8A63A6BB-16EE-4490-9751-247CE72DD60A.jpeg
9BA92894-6E04-423F-B59C-8C2A5B4A268D.jpeg
FC6046B6-319E-4AF5-A0B3-C7D8BD7BB44A.jpeg
Hi everyone!
This is my first post here, but I frequent these forums often. I have had my beardie Titus for 2 months now, and he is about 5 months old. He had been thriving up until this point, but for the past week or two his front legs seem to be giving him a lot of trouble.
They seem limp and almost as if they are getting in his way. He has been standing on them strangly or laying on them and has been more clumsy because of this.
He has UVB, his crickets are dusted twice a month, and his diet is crickets and kale exclusively (I’ve tried to get him to eat scrambled eggs, mango, applesauce, and squash to no avail. He’s so picky).
There have been a few times where he has jumped/fallen off my bed which is about 3.5 feet high. This is the ONLY thing I can think of that could have caused his arms to go limp, but he didn’t seem affected immediately after jumping and I just have a strong feeling something else is going on.
I have taken him to the vet, where they took an xray and said that he has excellent bone density, so I’m at a loss and honestly so stressed about his well being. The vet said he may have damaged nerves in his arms but couldn’t offer anything else besides a possible sprain. At that point it was mainly his one arm giving him trouble, but now its both. The vet gave me anti-inflammatory medicine to give Titus every 12 hours.
I’m at a loss. Could him jumping off the bed really cause this much trouble? The vet instructed me to keep him in his tank for 3 weeks to let him “recover” and to remove everything from it (I put in a blanket for him to bask and lay on instead of his rock). But he’s been visibly depressed and lethargic being stuck in there, especially without all his things. His appetite seems to have decreased slightly as well. If anyone can offer me advice I would be so thankful. I love him to death and don’t want him to suffer.

Thanks,

Haley

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon

Here’s a video of him briefly walking if that helps. I really need guidance I’m praying this is reversible. If anyone knows anything please reply.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
the poor little guy. yes just falling from the bed can cause an injury. my guy spike used to try to leap off and fly...I swear he thought he had wings,that's what i get for letting my daughters budgies share our room for a few months.

also make sure your giving him calcium daily and a multivitamin at least 2 times a week.

i hope he gets better soon and holding him and showing him love helps to.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
the poor little guy. yes just falling from the bed can cause an injury. my guy spike used to try to leap off and fly...I swear he thought he had wings,that's what i get for letting my daughters budgies share our room for a few months.

also make sure your giving him calcium daily and a multivitamin at least 2 times a week.

i hope he gets better soon and holding him and showing him love helps to.
Was he ever injured while doing that? If so, how did you treat it? I wasn’t aware there were multivitamins for dragons. What do you recommend?

The vet advised I can’t handle him while he’s healing which is a shame as I know he wants to be held and shown some love. Honestly, he seems to be getting worse. His back legs almost seem to be failing now too.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
I’m desperate for help at this point. He’s been having these issues for 2 weeks and it’s only been getting worse. I feel like the vet missed something but I don’t know what.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
is the vet an exotic animal vet or just a regular vet? you really need one that specializes in reptiles. spike was never injured thankfully as he had other health issues from his previous owner such as gout which caused him to lose several toe nails which did grow back just not the way they had been..if his back legs are having problems take him back into the vet preferably an exotic vet.
I hope he gets better soon keep us posted.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
CBCA2268-5700-49B6-8AFD-E21755DCE15F.jpeg
Update: I found out last night that his condition worsening was my fault. I had been overdosing him on meloxidyl. He was prescribed 0.04ml and I had accidentally misread it as 0.4ml. I was frantic last night worried he may lose his life because of this.

I went to see the vet today who told me that he seemed like he was a healthy guy before all this and that he believe Titus will make it. He hasn’t lost his appetite and he is alert and curious still. I need to soak him at least once a day and make sure he’s getting fluids to get this flushed out of his system. He gave him a shot before we left. When I got home from the vet, Titus actually took a few steps normally and propped himself up correctly!

There is still a chance he could have kidney failure in the next few weeks so I need to keep a close eye. But he’s a tough cookie and he seems determined to get through this. I’m posting a pic I just took. He’s resting his head a little but his arms are not crooked! I will keep you guys updated.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
wow close call but I know how easy it is to make that kind of mistake. he is a handsome little guy.keep us posted.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
I’m already seeing some improvement! He is still struggling to walk a little but things certainly seem to be getting easier for him. I bought him some baby food (sweet potato) yesterday and he gobbled it up this morning; I was so happy!

I just can’t believe it was my fault he was feeling so awful. It’s so unlike me to make such serious mistakes; I’m always so careful. It’s honestly a miracle that he’s okay. We’re taking it one day at a time!
8DCE5081-9969-447E-9EC6-331B39085BDF.jpeg

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon

He did this a couple times today, anyone know if I need to do something? All he’s had to eat today was a small piece of kale, a cricket, and some of the sweet potato baby food

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
01223423-A6DF-485D-9BA2-5ADBE5AACEB0.jpeg BB56AE99-FE85-483C-9D34-F31A7C87F2BC.jpeg
01223423-A6DF-485D-9BA2-5ADBE5AACEB0.jpeg
how's the little guy doing today?any better?
I followed up with the vet yesterday who said that it’s a good sign that he hasn’t gotten any worse (obviously) and that he’s hopeful for a full recovery seeing as Titus still has a great appetite and energy. He’s finding it difficult to eat at times as it seems like his aim is off, so I’ve been helping him. For the time being we’ve switched to mealworms instead of crickets to make things easier for him. He loves them lol. He’s currently taking his daily soak as per the recommendation of the vet! I hope his legs start to get better soon. He is still have a lot of trouble with his front legs, mostly the left one.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
It seems like his left arm has gone limp... my vet is closed until monday so I’ll call them again then...

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
95BB7807-A5E4-4773-A402-158829FF8831.jpeg 637E67E8-5229-44E2-93C8-BCF29905EBB2.jpeg D07F64A5-895A-4C80-9617-5A4DF702FC6B.jpeg Another update. Titus was able to eat without issue today, those his legs are still not working properly. I ordered him a new hammock that arrived today that he seems to love and put some of his things back in his tank.