• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trimming Nails

Keko

Bearded Dragon Egg
hello I have leatherback and she is 8 months old. Her nails are black on the top curve and white on the underside. My question is: is cutting necessary? Every time we try to trim her nails she really doesn’t like it. We are concerned we are hurting her. We only take maybe 1mm off every couple months because we are so scared. They are quite long but she always pulls away when we try to clip them and sometimes even with that very small amount they have bled. Is it possible that we can’t clip her nails without hurting her because her nails are somehow different then typical beardies? I don’t know any suggestions would be appreciated.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
I totally understand what your going through I have found that a metal nail file works best for my Stryker as she really hates the nail clippers. I just file her nails like I would my own and she seems to like it, she even sits still for her little mani/pedi..and there is no pain or blood involved. I keep her nail file separate from mine of course and sanitize it as well.

Keko

Bearded Dragon Egg
I totally understand what your going through I have found that a metal nail file works best for my Stryker as she really hates the nail clippers. I just file her nails like I would my own and she seems to like it, she even sits still for her little mani/pedi..and there is no pain or blood involved. I keep her nail file separate from mine of course and sanitize it as well.
Thank you!!! I will for sure give it a try!

City

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have found that files are much better than clippers for any pet unless they are specially made for them. I have not ever been too concerned about my bearded dragons nails (i understand why you are though) but when they get too hurtful or long i usually use a file (that is not my own of course). clippers always seem to freak out and hurt the animal a lot of times, files are better received by my beardie as well as my other pets. definitely give it a try if you havent already.

JasperMoon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I've clipped my leatherback's nails before, once, I used cuticle scissors and just took off the tips. I haven't clipped them since, I'm hoping I don't have to since I have Jasper on rough, tile flooring now. If I do end up having to trim his nails again I'll use the cuticle scissors again. I don't think Jasper would sit still long enough for me to file them. Using the cuticle scissors is pretty quick.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
You can also use a dremel (rotary drill) if the sound won't bother him. Many people use those for birds, cats, dogs, etc. It's quicker than a regular file, and still avoids the cutting/bleeding risk. You can get one for about $10 from Harbor Freight, or about $20 from Walmart.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I cut mine when they are asleep for the night and keep them covered and just expose a foot at a time.. I use regular nail clippers only taking off the hook part..