• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Traveling with bearded dragon?

Jenni.nol4

Bearded Dragon Egg
I live in Virginia and I’m planning on going up to New York for Christmas this winter, it’s about a nine hour drive would it be okay to take my beardie gideon with me? He will be six months old by then. And do you have any tips for traveling with a beardie?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Honestly I wouldn't do it. 9 hours is a very long drive and it could stress him out too much. The weather is so unpredictable, you have to think what would happen if your car breaks down or you get stuck in a blizzard. How are you going to keep him properly warm in an emergency situation? It's too much of a risk in my opinion.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree, they are much better off at home in their temp controlled environment.. too many variables.

Jenni.nol4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Honestly I wouldn't do it. 9 hours is a very long drive and it could stress him out too much. The weather is so unpredictable, you have to think what would happen if your car breaks down or you get stuck in a blizzard. How are you going to keep him properly warm in an emergency situation? It's too much of a risk in my opinion.
What should I do then? My family is going to our New York for Christmas

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I recently took mine for a 10 hour drive due to hurricane evacuation. 2 weeks is too long for him to be left alone, unless you can find a sitter I would definitely take him.

I use a cloth cat carrier - it's cushioned and kindof insulated, and packed it with some towels for more insulation and put him by the window for the drive. You could also put heat packs or hot water bottles in the pockets, depending how cold it is. Just make sure to frequently monitor the temp with a temp gun throughout the drive.

As far as at your destination- I took his uvb, basking lights, decor, and mesh terrarium lid with me. When I got to where I was going i bought a large plastic tub, put the lid on it, and the lights on top of that.

He should be fine as long as you are careful. They are more resilient than people give them credit for. Oh, don't feed him the day before, day of moving, or day after. It's better to be hungry than have his digestion messed up because of the travel.

Jenni.nol4

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently took mine for a 10 hour drive due to hurricane evacuation. 2 weeks is too long for him to be left alone, unless you can find a sitter I would definitely take him.

I use a cloth cat carrier - it's cushioned and kindof insulated, and packed it with some towels for more insulation and put him by the window for the drive. You could also put heat packs or hot water bottles in the pockets, depending how cold it is. Just make sure to frequently monitor the temp with a temp gun throughout the drive.

As far as at your destination- I took his uvb, basking lights, decor, and mesh terrarium lid with me. When I got to where I was going i bought a large plastic tub, put the lid on it, and the lights on top of that.

He should be fine as long as you are careful. They are more resilient than people give them credit for. Oh, don't feed him the day before, day of moving, or day after. It's better to be hungry than have his digestion messed up because of the travel.

Okay thank you so much, I’m going to be bringing his tank and setup in the trunk of the car

Jenni.nol4

Bearded Dragon Egg

He’s still a juvenile, are you sure he’d be fine not eating for three days?

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
He’s still a juvenile, are you sure he’d be fine not eating for three days?

You could probably feed him the day after travel, as long as his uvb and heat are set up properly. I still would not feed the day before or the day of, to me the risks of digestive upset (which can lead to larger health issues) due to stress and lack of heat / uvb for a day are far worse than him being hungry for 2 days.

You said he will be six months? According to beardeddragoncare101.com, which is a website I have found to be reliable:
"a bearded dragon is considered to be a juvenile once it reaches between 5-18 months... by now they have gained mass and fat reserves, and can be fed less frequently..."

Hopefully that makes you feel better! Still feed every day when possible, since he is still young, but he will be fine for 2 days. In the wild there are probably days that go by without them eating, evolutionarily their bodies have adapted. I understand the worry- believe me I'm such a worrywort with my babies - but just keep him warm and under observation, give him some warm baths (lessens stomach upset) he will be ok. :)

Jenni.nol4

Bearded Dragon Egg
You could probably feed him the day after travel, as long as his uvb and heat are set up properly. I still would not feed the day before or the day of, to me the risks of digestive upset (which can lead to larger health issues) due to stress and lack of heat / uvb for a day are far worse than him being hungry for 2 days.

You said he will be six months? According to beardeddragoncare101.com, which is a website I have found to be reliable:
"a bearded dragon is considered to be a juvenile once it reaches between 5-18 months... by now they have gained mass and fat reserves, and can be fed less frequently..."

Hopefully that makes you feel better! Still feed every day when possible, since he is still young, but he will be fine for 2 days. In the wild there are probably days that go by without them eating, evolutionarily their bodies have adapted. I understand the worry- believe me I'm such a worrywort with my babies - but just keep him warm and under observation, give him some warm baths (lessens stomach upset) he will be ok. :)
Okay thank you so much! You are so knowledgeable

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I wouldn't feed the day of travel, I think though you would be ok feeding the morning before that would give him time for digestion and also allow you time to get him to poop before travel.. The general rule is you shouldn't feed them if they can't bask and get the UVB needed for digestion.. Do your best to minimize the stress on him during travel meaning don't expose him to the cold..You can get the "hot hands" heat packs and wrap them up under some towels to give him some heat you want to make sure he doesn't get below 65-70 in transit.. Once there get him all set up and let him settle and warm up before offering a small meal.. Wouldn't hurt to give some probiotics to help his GI tract in case he does get stressed. Stress is what will cause any parasites that naturally are in them to get out of control.