• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too skinny?

Morrisnfia2

Hatchling Dragon
Hey,
I have had some problems with feeding my bearded dragon for a couple of months. He has lost a lot of weight. I weighted him today and it said 0,503kg. (4-5 years old) Is he too skinny for brumation? Could it be dangerous for him to Brumate?
The problem is I can’t keep him awake so feed him anymore. He always ends up hiding and trying to sleep. But I am worried that he is way too skinny.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey,
I have had some problems with feeding my bearded dragon for a couple of months. He has lost a lot of weight. I weighted him today and it said 0,503kg. (4-5 years old) Is he too skinny for brumation? Could it be dangerous for him to Brumate?
The problem is I can’t keep him awake so feed him anymore. He always ends up hiding and trying to sleep. But I am worried that he is way too skinny.
Please post a pic of the dragon and his husbandry -- especially the lighting --- UVB and basking bulbs-- if any of this is incorrect hes not going to eat and it will bring on brumation behavior -- him losing weight is not good but we must get the lighting and basking temps corrected if they arent -- basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer No stick ons please and a good UVB long tube fixture 24" for a 40+ gallon tank -- NO coils please they are inadequate for UVB most give off none to little and will cause all kinds of health problems -- your dragon need hydration please give him some water either by baths or spray or dropping water on his nose - syringe feed last resort - if you decide to go that route please do it very slowly so he can swallow what you put in you dont want him aspirating -- same w / the bathing - do not let him gulp the water as they will causing aspiration - if he does pull him from the water then let him drink more but please watch him ---
examples of UVB fixtures are
24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb
24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb
24" Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ the bulb that comes w/ the fixture ---
All of these bulbs need to be replaced every year I recommend a month prior to