• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too many greens?

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
I put out a pile of greens in the morning, he eats after waking and warming. But he acted like he wanted more food after his roaches so I offered more greens. He is 6 months old so I am giving him loads of protein but don’t want him to get overweight. Is extra greens okay to fill him up or let him fill up on roaches. I’ve heard of occasional growth spurts, should I just load him with roaches and watch his weight?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I put out a pile of greens in the morning, he eats after waking and warming. But he acted like he wanted more food after his roaches so I offered more greens. He is 6 months old so I am giving him loads of protein but don’t want him to get overweight. Is extra greens okay to fill him up or let him fill up on roaches. I’ve heard of occasional growth spurts, should I just load him with roaches and watch his weight?
No feed extra greens --- keep feeding him the roaches 2 times per day w/ only dusting ONE time -- how many roaches are you feeding at a time?

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
No feed extra greens --- keep feeding him the roaches 2 times per day w/ only dusting ONE time -- how many roaches are you feeding at a time?
Usually he eats between 12 and 15. Before his supper, second helping of roaches, I find him standing in his dish where the greens were. If he is hungry I’ll feed him just not sure what is better- extra greens or throw roaches at him between his normal 2 feedings.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Usually he eats between 12 and 15. Before his supper, second helping of roaches, I find him standing in his dish where the greens were. If he is hungry I’ll feed him just not sure what is better- extra greens or throw roaches at him between his normal 2 feedings.
Extra greens are good and the amount of roaches is good-- I would not feed more roaches the greens are best-

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
A little of both. Don't forget to give him a small amount of fruit too... apple is best for the young ones.

Sue loves lizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
All the better lol. Mine got hooked on blueberries... which have more sugar than what they should have.
Favorite fruits with my crew are blueberries and raspberries. They also like red bell pepper. I think at first they think it's raspberries.
I will keep sugar content in mind on the blueberries.

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
Favorite fruits with my crew are blueberries and raspberries. They also like red bell pepper. I think at first they think it's raspberries.
I will keep sugar content in mind on the blueberries.
He really likes mustard greens. When I mix in red bell peppers or squash or cucumber he picks around them just to eat the greens.